Gamecube game not fully working in wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by heyyouguys, Feb 8, 2007.

Feb 8, 2007
  1. heyyouguys
    OP

Member heyyouguys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So we hook up the new wii today, all is good. So i buy a copy of animal crossing GC for the wii for my daughter to try out. I have a GC memory pack inserted in the wii (as well as a 512 sd card). I also have the classic controller. For some reason the game boots up fine, but you cannot press the start key or start playing the game, only thing you can do is watch the opening sequence. Over and over, no matter what.

Any ideas? My daughter is in tears (she is 8yrs old).

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The classic controller does not work with GameCube games. You must use a GameCube controller plugged into one of the controller ports on the Wii.

3. heyyouguys
    OP

United States
    So the only way to play GC games on the wii is with a GC controller? Everyone agrees with this?

If so, damn EBgames screwed me.

4. azndragonguy115

Member azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yes only gamecube

5. heyyouguys
    OP

United States
    What good is the classic wii controller good for then?

**damn ebgames**

6. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    The classic controller is good for classic games. Download Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 from VC quick to make her stop crying! Or you can let her win at Tennis.

7. directive0

Member directive0 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Super Mario World is all but impossible to play with a GC controller [​IMG]

8. Mikkelstorgaard

Newcomer Mikkelstorgaard Member

Denmark
    But that's a good thing then, because if it were impossible to play it, you'd have to buy a Classic Controller.

9. Hooya

United States
    Currently there is nothing that you *Need* the classic controller for. It's ubiquitous since the GC controller does everything a classic controller can do, but not the other way around. That said, the D pad on the GC controller is uncomfortable and not useful for some games, such as anything for SNES on the virtual console.

Yes, EB Games screwed you if they told you the classic controller can be used with GC games. Never take an employees word at a used gaming store ever, unless you know the person you're talking to specifically is trustworthy. Those employees all too often know jack shit about what they're selling.

10. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Truest statement I've read today! ESPECIALLY at EBGames [​IMG]

11. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Don't know how things are in the USA with getting the classic controller. They always seemed to be sold out in the UK. Not that I'm going to get any VC games anyway because nintendo are asking way too much for them.

12. Hooya

United States
    They're the easiest controller accessory to get right now (that's not a silicone glove or something). There have only been one or two occasions where I have seen Nunchucks on store shelves, and I don't think I've seen a Remote on a shelf, but I bought my Classic Controller by just walking into a store on a random day and picking up one of two that were there that day. It's not the only time I've seen them either.

I think most people realize they only need one (or none) classic controllers but just about everyone is buying at least one if not three extra remotes and nunchucks.

Of course, I still haven't seen a Wii console on a store shelf yet.

13. Chorro

Newcomer Chorro Member

United States
    indeed eb did screw you. please refrain from buying anything from them. gamestop is a little better but buy from the big guys. unfortunately they don't resort to eb games tactics (as much)

gamecrazy is cool but only since my friend works there lol

14. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Yeah, you need a GC controller.

15. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Uh, if you didn't know, EBgames IS GameStop (GameStop bought EBgames). That's how I bought a DSlite case that said "GameStop" on it at EBgames.
    I wish I had a GameCrazy though...Probably better than either EB or GameStop...

16. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Make sure you get a Wavebird wireless controller (or 2 or more) for your GC games. You can thank me later for keeping your Wii wireless.

17. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Someone at EB(Gamestop) lied to make a sale. SHOCKED I AM SHOCKED I tell you. [​IMG] They're made to lie, manipulate, coerce and whatever it takes possible to sell more accessories and especially those virtually worthless warranties (outright worthless on games.)

Sorry they duped you. Keep the pad though for what other reasons people gave already as with an 8yo I'm sure it could get some good mileage playing Mario World among other things.