Wii Games work and are read fine, but Gamecube games don't.

bomberL9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii games load on USB Loader GX, but Gamecube games aren't read by Nintendont, stating that the "USB Fat device cannot be opened."

This is the contexts of the USB Drive, it's a 32 GB. All of the files in cIOS were downloaded as per the Riiconnect24 guide, and Nintendont was downloaded from the Homebrew Browser. Would appreciate some help, and can provide any further information if needed, it just seems odd that the Wii games are working in comparison.

1683061403806.png
1683061416842.png
1683061425034.png

bomberL9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CISO?

i thought it was just .iso?
That's the file that was given to me when I had extracted it from Vimm's, but I can try to change the extension to an .iso instead? The file's not too big, so if it's messed up afterwards I can just redownload it and try again, I'll update this with what happens.

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yep, try .iso first (simple rename the file) as ULGX does not like .ciso file extension (if you launch GC games through ULGX)
It won't mess the file at all.

EDIT:
Nintendont, stating that the "USB Fat device cannot be opened."
Nintendont actually reads .ciso files. When you launch Nintendont itself (not through ULGX), it states the same thing?

bomberL9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Changed from .ciso to .iso
1683062372470.png

However, this was the result on Nintendont, hasn't solved the issue. Apologies for sideways image.

1683062524191.png

And same thing for USB Loader, it shows this on start-up but gives a black screen.
1683062543938.png

bomberL9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, used guiformat using these settings. I had tried allocation unit size to 32768 as well, but for some reason it made my Wii games not work anymore, so I reformatted it under these settings and my Wii games worked again.
1683063124849.png

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
OK. For ULGX, this launch screen is normal.
ciso format (for compressed iso) does not contain the game header at the same place than a regular iso, that ULGX uses to show the game data, the game icon and the description line used in the save file, etc.
The black screen after that is because Nintendont can't read your USB drive (and you don't see the warning, as Nintendont is launched through ULGX).

Yes, used guiformat using these settings.

Don't look further. Guiformat is the culprit.

I have the same problem than you with a 500Go HDD, one FAT partition (~200Go) as primary, and one NTFS partition (~300Go).
ULGX detects the two partitions (with Wii and GC games inside), and reads all Wii games with no problem.

But Nintendont says that the FAT32 device can not be opened. I used Guiformat too, to format the FAT32 partition.

bomberL9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. For ULGX, this launch screen is normal.
ciso format (for compressed iso) does not contain the game header at the same place than a regular iso, that ULGX uses to show the game data, the game icon and the description line used in the save file, etc.
The black screen after that is because Nintendont can't read your USB drive (and you don't see the warning, as Nintendont is launched through ULGX).

Don't look further. Guiformat is the culprit.

I have the same problem than you with a 500Go HDD, one FAT partition (~200Go) as primary, and one NTFS partition (~300Go).
ULGX detects the two partitions (with Wii and GC games inside), and reads all Wii games with no problem.

But Nintendont says that the FAT32 device can not be opened. I used Guiformat too, to format the FAT32 partition.
I see. What is the solution, then? Reformat it with a different software?

If we've established that guiformat is the culprit, what's the next course of action?

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see. What is the solution, then? Reformat it with a different software?

If we've established that guiformat is the culprit, what's the next course of action?
Yes, try another software. There's AOEMI and Easus which did that before, but I think the feature is not free anymore.
Minitool Partition Manager still does it for free, but the free install version comes with dirty things (adware, bloatware files, etc).

The portable version is clean (it only creates 3 files in System32 folder, that can be deleted afterwards):

32-bit portable version: https://cdn2.minitool.com/?p=pw&e=pwfree-32bit-portable
64-bit portable version https://cdn2.minitool.com/?p=pw&e=pwfree-64bit-portable

I didn't use it though (so I can't assure you it will work, but people says so), as I'm lazy to format my HDD again, then copy again all the Wii games. ^^ (I play GC games through several USB sticks instead, and use the HDD only for the Wii games)

Last edited by Ouaz,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
[...]
However, this was the result on Nintendont, hasn't solved the issue. Apologies for sideways image.

[...]

And same thing for USB Loader, it shows this on start-up but gives a black screen.
[...]
Even though Windows Explorer is badly designed enough to be fooled by changing a file extension, good software isn't, so in this case, replacing .CISO with .ISO won't fix the issue.

You need to get a clean ISO instead. Stay away from .NKIT.ISO crap, or you'll waste your time.

blackb0x

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I added basic CISO support in a recent USB Loader GX update, so the files being CISO are correct. Although I'd still recommend sourcing redump verified ISO files from elsewhere.

If directly launching Nintendont gives you that "USB FAT device could not be opened" error and reformatting your USB drive via Wii Backup Manager doesn't solve the issue then you should try using a different USB storage device or an SD card.

bomberL9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, try another software. There's AOEMI and Easus which did that before, but I think the feature is not free anymore.
Minitool Partition Manager still does it for free, but the free install version comes with dirty things (adware, bloatware files, etc).

The portable version is clean (it only creates 3 files in System32 folder, that can be deleted afterwards):

32-bit portable version: https://cdn2.minitool.com/?p=pw&e=pwfree-32bit-portable
64-bit portable version https://cdn2.minitool.com/?p=pw&e=pwfree-64bit-portable

I didn't use it though (so I can't assure you it will work, but people says so), as I'm lazy to format my HDD again, then copy again all the Wii games. ^^ (I play GC games through several USB sticks instead, and use the HDD only for the Wii games)
Thank you so much for your help, I just formatted a different USB drive using that tool and got the game to work! Might transfer the Wii games to that as well, but the important thing is that I can play it, thanks again :D
1683071465002.png

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you so much for your help, I just formatted a different USB drive using that tool and got the game to work! Might transfer the Wii games to that as well, but the important thing is that I can play it, thanks again :D

Nice.

I suspect Guiformat to convert to FAT32 in a way that Nintendont (and some other apps on Wii) doesn't like (a check of the partition table -MBR- on my HDD formatted with Guiformat showed weird things, but I didn't dig further).

Good to know that the portable version of Minitool works too.
The day I find the motivation, I'll reformat my HDD partition with it ^^

PS: Path of Radiance is a gem. Best episode for me. :P

Last edited by Ouaz,
Reactions: Flame and Poirot7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==