GameCube backups not working after 4.2 safe updater

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by boxcarnathan, Dec 21, 2009.

1. boxcarnathan
    OP

Newcomer boxcarnathan Member

United States
    Hello guys I'm really sorry if this is a done over topic but it seems since i have used 4.2 safe updater and noticed that game cube backup launcher no longer recognizes any of my backups, i have tried reinstalling CMIOS files and Cios rev 15 and have the same results of starting game cube backup launcher and the disk spins in the drive and nothing happens. If i take the disk out it gives me CANNOT READ DISK 355,

my only thoughts are that i have to start over and just stay with 4.1, I'm just sick and finishing this for a Christmas gift is killing me, I'm just hoping there is an easy fix like the home brew loader channel upside down problem.

I really have searched but it seems this problem has been forgotten since the new wiis not being able to play backups and this wii is NOT new

2. boxcarnathan
    OP

United States
    lots of views but no help it seems like, one last bump before i go to square one

3. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    have you tried mios patcher v10 mod and have you tried going back to rev14

4. Eddie_Brock

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    You need to either use a loader such as Gecko to load your discs, or apparently there is a cMios wad in the cioscorp package that will allow you to play GC backup discs. Install one of these two and you should be good to go

[​IMG]

5. boxcarnathan
    OP

United States
    Thanks eddie and tom,

quick qustions before i go off using rev 14 again, is gecko only for use with modchips? if it is the wii doesn't use it.

and is the mios patcherv10 for use with just patching the disk itself? I'm just curious as i've never heard of this except in the loader menu using b to patch, right now the loader wont even get to the press a button to start, thanks for the help I'll post the results in a second.

6. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    Mios patcher it's a updated cmios you install and it let's you run backup GC games use this on my wii and load multi game disk's with no problems

7. Eddie_Brock

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Gecko OS is just a homebrew app that allows you to play backup discs (among some other features)

8. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    It doesn't allow you to run backups unless you have cIOSCORP installed

9. boxcarnathan
    OP

United States
    THANK GOD...

rev 14 fixed it, now i can wrap this gift up and hopefully recover from this stomach flu before Christmas, i looked up Mios patcher and only found v0.2 on the downloads page..is it a cIOSCORP kind of app? i prefer just using the animated channel Wad troythezombie made just in case, obviously i need to trouble shoot a little bit better and i don't trust myself enough to risk a brick, thanks for the help though! i feel alot better now that everything is finally running 100%

10. wonkizzle

Newcomer wonkizzle Member

United States
    I honestly was about to make a thread for this very same problem... I have a 4.2U, Everything is up to snuff, tried using Mios patcher with version 4,5,8,9, and 10, and every time I go to load a GC game using rungcbackup with the game already inserted, it never loads, and ends up cycling and clicking in a pattern, trying hard (or not so hard) to read it. When I start runggcbackup WITHOUT a game in, and then insert one, it says "Error 0x2062800 Disk change" after less than 2 seconds or so. Ive tried other Loaders, NeoGamma, Gecko, to no avail, and im at a loss. Can anyone shed some light on whats going on here?

11. boxcarnathan
    OP

United States
    How did you get to 4.2U? i hear if its a newer model they don't allow backups on disks, that and rev 15 kinda killed my gamecube launcher,

if anything try using rev 14, that fixed my problem

12. wonkizzle

United States
    Its an older Wii, I updated it to 4.2 and used bannerbomb due to a semi brick. Anywho, I used rev 14 too, and now it works ok. Some of my games have video issues (jumpy black and white screen) At the launch of rungcbackup, but I just used NeoGamma and changed the language to English, and forced the video to "Wii" and now they work just fine. Ive been looking for this solution for days. Im glad we have it figured out. Thanks bro.

13. boxcarnathan
    OP

United States
    Jumpy black and white screen? i can fix that problem easy,

the games are PAL(the game has a region code for a different country), and you need NTSC games to play them on normal composite cables (ie the 3 red yellow white wii cables)

I have component cables for mine so i can play on my hdtv and also play PAL games, its the only way i could play super mario bros wii early, totally worth the 20 buck cable for that reason alone

14. wonkizzle

United States
    No thats the funny thing, the games were definitely NTSC, thats why I was confused. But after I did what I mentioned above, however insignificant, seemed to work. Now I can play Eternal Darkness again, and im happy.

15. Loop

Member Loop GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I was having the same problem as wonkizzle - I am on 3.2U and have MIOS version 8 installed and CIOS rev17. I installed CIOS rev14 like he did but it did not fix it for me. The games I was trying were all PAL versions (I have an NTSC system with component video cables) and I was wondering if that was the problem - when I tried to force NTSC by pressing Y, I got the green screen!). The strange thing was when booting the games without forcing NTSC, I could hear the audio of the game booting and continuing to run but the video signal from the Wii cut out completely?!?

I have since tried with NTSC versions of the isos and it seems to work fine! [​IMG]
    I guess I just can't use the PAL isos on my machine - still don't know why?

16. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    We have a backup loading section this should be moved Im getting tired of this