Hacking Question GameCard reader not working (software problem)

tresypico

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
EDIT: Duplicated thread, sorry.
Ignore this one.

Hi!

I think that accidentaly I upgrade the gamecard reader and now I can't barely use it (which is importarnt for me)

The background: My Switch runs OFW 8.1 on the sysMMC. On my SD I had a emuMMC running CFW 8.1 which I upgraded to 9.0.1 using Choidujour. During the upgrade maybe (I not sure) I had the noGC option disabled.

Now every time I insert a cartridge I get and error on...
- OFW 8.1
- CFW 9.0.1 without specify nogc in BTC.ini
- CFW 9.0.1 with nogc=1 on BTC.ini

The only way I have use cartridge is running CFW 9.0.1 with nogc=0

For some personal reasons the card reader is important to me... so the question is:
Can I "recover" my GC reader?

For the OFW: I think it happends because a version mismatch with the reader's firmware version. If I upgrade the OFW… will it work again?

For the CFW: Which is the safest and most compatible option to prevent this to happend again?

Last edited by tresypico,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To start with, you cannot downgrade/recover from a gamecart reader update.
What's done is done unfortunately.

As for the reason why you're getting an error on those firmwares, we have to remember that your GC reader is now updated to work only on firms 9.0.0+:

8.0.1: You're getting an error because your GC reader now only supports 9.0.0+

9.0.1 (Without specifying nogc): You're getting an error here because your emuMMC firm is 9.0.0+ and your actually burned fuses are lower than the number 9.0.1 expects.
Atmosphère will automatically disable GC if it detects your burned fuses are lower than those expected for 9.0.0, to prevent users from accidentally updating the GC reader.

9.0.1 (With nogc=1): nogc=1 force-enables the nogc patch, meaning if you have this set to 1 your GC reader won't work on any firmware, even if it is supported.

The reason 9.0.1 with nogc=0 works is because your fuses are lower than that of 9.0.0, so Atmosphère by default would enable nogc patches to prevent your GC reader from updating. However, since your GC Reader is already updated, you override those default settings with nogc=0 in order to use it on firms 9.0.0+.

Hope this helps, let me know if anything I said wasn't clear.

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

tresypico

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Many thanks for that clear response.

If I understand correctly... in order to "fix" GC I have to upgrade my OFW to 9.1/9.0.1, so the burned fuses will match. After upgrading (and burning fuses) even atmosphere will work as expected.
Right? Can I upgrade via official methods (Nintendo servers) without a real possibility of being banned?

Finally, in the future, and with OFW/CFW/GC matching versions (and fuses), I have to remember to set nogc=1 before upgrading to >9.1
Is this correct?

Many thanks.

Last edited by tresypico,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I understand correctly... in order to "fix" GC I have to upgrade my OFW to 9.1/9.0.1, so the burned fuses will match. After upgrading (and burning fuses) even atmosphere will work as expected.
Right? Can I upgrade via official methods (Nintendo servers) without a real possibility of being banned?
Once your OFW is updated to at least 9.0.0, your cart reader will work there again.
Atmosphère will see that your burned fuse count indicates at least 9.0.0, so it will no longer auto-enable nogc patches. (Meaning that unless another GC reader update comes out, you won't need to fiddle with nogc in BCT.ini)

You can safely update your OFW on Nintendo's servers if you haven't done any homebrew/hacks with it. Otherwise it's anyone's guess whether it's completely safe or not.

Finally, in the future, and with OFW/CFW/GC matching versions (and fuses), I have to remember to set nogc=1 before upgrading to >9.1
Is this correct?
If you're planning to have your OFW and CFW both be on the same firmware, then you don't need to set nogc to 1 or 0. (Unless you plan to downgrade at some point and want GC to work afterwards)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: