- Joined
- May 5, 2008
- Messages
- 905
- Reaction score
- 283
- Trophies
- 3
- Age
- 32
- Location
- United States
- Website
- 1379tech.110mb.com
- XP
- 3,226
- Country

Two recent GBC mods I did. Left unit had an OEM screen that had cracks in the LCD itself (not the lens), so I decided to order an aftermarket backlit one. I'm quite happy with it.
On the right hand side was a kiwi unit with a missing battery cover, several missing screws, among other imperfections. I preserved what's left of the shell but went with an aftermarket Pikachu shell. Admittedly, I'm somewhat disappointed. The lens came with some surface scratches out of the game (despite being an aftermarket not yet assembled kit) and the case was a poor fit. I had to loosen some screws and apply pressure to get it to sit together. It felt unnatural.
Furthermore, the B button feels like it's weak and the whole shell plastic just feels poorer quality in general.
Not sure if it's just me on these aftermarket shells. I would love some opinions on whether there's better alternatives or if this is really as good as it gets.

On the right hand side was a kiwi unit with a missing battery cover, several missing screws, among other imperfections. I preserved what's left of the shell but went with an aftermarket Pikachu shell. Admittedly, I'm somewhat disappointed. The lens came with some surface scratches out of the game (despite being an aftermarket not yet assembled kit) and the case was a poor fit. I had to loosen some screws and apply pressure to get it to sit together. It felt unnatural.
Furthermore, the B button feels like it's weak and the whole shell plastic just feels poorer quality in general.
Not sure if it's just me on these aftermarket shells. I would love some opinions on whether there's better alternatives or if this is really as good as it gets.

I generally find that anyone selling "prestige" shells tend to be of higher quality. Retrosix, Handheld legend, and Funnyplaying should all carry them, but I'm not sure if RetroModding has them.Two recent GBC mods I did. Left unit had an OEM screen that had cracks in the LCD itself (not the lens), so I decided to order an aftermarket backlit one. I'm quite happy with it.
On the right hand side was a kiwi unit with a missing battery cover, several missing screws, among other imperfections. I preserved what's left of the shell but went with an aftermarket Pikachu shell. Admittedly, I'm somewhat disappointed. The lens came with some surface scratches out of the game (despite being an aftermarket not yet assembled kit) and the case was a poor fit. I had to loosen some screws and apply pressure to get it to sit together. It felt unnatural.
Furthermore, the B button feels like it's weak and the whole shell plastic just feels poorer quality in general.
Not sure if it's just me on these aftermarket shells. I would love some opinions on whether there's better alternatives or if this is really as good as it gets.
View attachment 283741
- Joined
- May 5, 2008
- Messages
- 905
- Reaction score
- 283
- Trophies
- 3
- Age
- 32
- Location
- United States
- Website
- 1379tech.110mb.com
- XP
- 3,226
- Country

I was hoping to get one with the special PIkachu edition enclosure. Doesn't look like it's anything any of those offer. Oh well.I generally find that anyone selling "prestige" shells tend to be of higher quality. Retrosix, Handheld legend, and Funnyplaying should all carry them, but I'm not sure if RetroModding has them.
Have just ordered a GBC, Im hoping to make a replica of the Gameboy Horror from Luigis mansion. What is currently the best replacement backlit screen?
The Laminated Q5, but you'll probably want to go with a regular Q5 and have a custom "Q5 Gameboy Horror" lens made.Have just ordered a GBC, Im hoping to make a replica of the Gameboy Horror from Luigis mansion. What is currently the best replacement backlit screen?
The Laminated Q5, but you'll probably want to go with a regular Q5 and have a custom "Q5 Gameboy Horror" lens made.
There is a UK based supplier who has the lens in sizes including Q5
Brilliant! Feel free to post the build here when you have it.There is a UK based supplier who has the lens in sizes including Q5Cheers for the reply!
Love the look of the laminated kit!The Laminated Q5, but you'll probably want to go with a regular Q5 and have a custom "Q5 Gameboy Horror" lens made.
- Joined
- Sep 13, 2022
- Messages
- 11,403
- Solutions
- 5
- Reaction score
- 33,856
- Trophies
- 7
- Website
- m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
- XP
- 27,225
- Country

Looks good, but that bad boy needs a Q5 screen upgrade.Here's my modded GBC, originally it had a green shell. I do really need to align the cheap LCD screen slightly.
View attachment 336991
- Joined
- Sep 13, 2022
- Messages
- 11,403
- Solutions
- 5
- Reaction score
- 33,856
- Trophies
- 7
- Website
- m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
- XP
- 27,225
- Country

I've had a look on ZedLabs and they're not too pricey at all, my LCD screen mod was £30 from China. Thanks for suggesting me this, I'll definitely buy a kit in the near future.Looks good, but that bad boy needs a Q5 screen upgrade.![]()
You can buy them directly from Funnyplaying's website too. I get them from there because they're the cheapest I've found, and they only take about 2 weeks to reach me in the U.S.I've had a look on ZedLabs and they're not too pricey at all, my LCD screen mod was £30 from China. Thanks for suggesting me this, I'll definitely buy a kit in the near future.![]()
- Joined
- Sep 13, 2022
- Messages
- 11,403
- Solutions
- 5
- Reaction score
- 33,856
- Trophies
- 7
- Website
- m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
- XP
- 27,225
- Country

I agree. They're slightly less cheaper than what ZedLabs were selling. Thanks for the heads up!You can buy them directly from Funnyplaying's website too. I get them from there because they're the cheapest I've found, and they only take about 2 weeks to reach me in the U.S.

- Joined
- Sep 13, 2022
- Messages
- 11,403
- Solutions
- 5
- Reaction score
- 33,856
- Trophies
- 7
- Website
- m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
- XP
- 27,225
- Country

3D printing them as compared to buying some cheap cases is a good advantage. Great work.Sometimes they send the screen kits in these nice hard cases for free, and I make 3D printed inserts for them to hold games and systems.
View attachment 337274View attachment 337275View attachment 337276View attachment 337277View attachment 337278View attachment 337279
Last edited by SylverReZ,
Similar threads
- Replies
- 22
- Views
- 698
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 245
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 35
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 487














