Gaming Gameboy and Gameboy color games looking ugly

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Recently i re-installed luma in another sd card in my new 3ds xl after the previous card getting corrupted. After fixing this problem, i resolved to install gameyob and also retroarch to test some gameboy and gameboy color games. The games only look good with the horribly small native resolution and if i upscale them, they get too blurry with filters and very ugly without filters. I want to know how i make my games look as good as in native resolution in a confortable size.

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
These emulators will look correctly?

Have you tried the Scale2x filter? That's what I use on GameYoB, as it doesn't blur the colours used in the original image, only adding extra pixels of the original colours.

It is going to be difficult to improve on that, as the 3DS screen is only 240 pixels tall, and the Game Boy screen is 144. So the maximum scaling is less than 2x, only 5/3.

GameYob does include the option to scale to 1.5x, in case you think that looks better.

The DS version is supposed to run things more smoothly (better frame rate, less crackly audio), but will only be able to scale up to 192/144 = 4/3. Which is then scaled up 5/4 by the 3DS (though Sono's TWPatcher can change the scaling used so that it's not blurry). So it probably won't look better.

I use mGBA for GBA on 3DS, and for that I use 1.5x with 'sharp bilinear', which seems to just add an extra averaged pixel in between intact original pixels.

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have you tried the Scale2x filter? That's what I use on GameYoB, as it doesn't blur the colours used in the original image, only adding extra pixels of the original colours.

It is going to be difficult to improve on that, as the 3DS screen is only 240 pixels tall, and the Game Boy screen is 144. So the maximum scaling is less than 2x, only 5/3.

GameYob does include the option to scale to 1.5x, in case you think that looks better.

The DS version is supposed to run things more smoothly (better frame rate, less crackly audio), but will only be able to scale up to 192/144 = 4/3. Which is then scaled up 5/4 by the 3DS (though Sono's TWPatcher can change the scaling used so that it's not blurry). So it probably won't look better.

I use mGBA for GBA on 3DS, and for that I use 1.5x with 'sharp bilinear', which seems to just add an extra averaged pixel in between intact original pixels.
Ok, thanks for the answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: