game freeze with Acekard 2

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Eienring, Oct 11, 2008.

Oct 11, 2008

game freeze with Acekard 2 by Eienring at 2:16 PM (2,281 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Eienring
    OP

Newcomer Eienring Newbie

United States
    I finally got the Sandisk 4gb card yesterday and got to play around with the Acekard 2 that was sitting in my room for a week.
    I had a hard time setting it up because the reader that came with the Acekard 2 didn't work, so I had to use an adapter to
    connect to my computer. After everything got copied into the card, I couldn't get the micro SD out for some reason. I ended up
    having to use the flathead screwdriver to expand the adapter so I can pull it out.

Finally I got it all setup and ready to use, but I ran into some problems. First of all, Princess Maker 4 freezes at the naming screen
    every time. Also Gallery of Labyrinth will freeze randomly during play. I tried turning off patches but it didn't help.
    I don't know if this is a known problem or what.
    I tried other games and they all seems to working okay even with patches on. I'm worried if I had damaged the micro sd card when I expanded the adapter,
    that or I may have a bad Acekard, but I haven't gotten any errors at all.

Anyone else getting similar problems? Or any ideas on what I can try to find the cause of it?

2. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    It is very unlikely to be the AK that is the problem.

I don't know how easy it is to damage microSD cards - are there any visible signs of damage?

The most probable scenario is that there are problems with those games specifically. (You say most games work fine...)

Which loader are you using? (as in, AKAIO or the official AK one)

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    as joey asked we need more information.

1) is your acekard an ak2, rpg, ak+ and if its a ak2 is it a v2.0 or v2.1?
    2) did you scratch the gold contacts on the msd at all when you forced it in/out of the reader?
    3) what firmware are you using, older bliss, official, akaio 1.2?
    4) do you have patches on by defult? if so highlight the rom and press Y where you have more options on a per-rom basis and turn off options there instead.

check that those roms are compatible with the firmware you are using. the loader might not support them, they could be problem games.

assuming everything is OK, if the msd was damanged physically it wouldn't work at all. it isn't smart, it can't choose certain games to mess up on. if you killed it by forcing it, it would be damanged and unresponsive. if the ak was bad you would get FAT error warning (which was the problem with the later batch of the 2.0 release). It wouldn't load some games fine, and others give errors unless those games aren't supported by the loader. also i think you should do some google searches, try to find information on those roms and the acekard loader. posting here you are assuming others play those games. personally i have never heard of them, although i am well aware i can not speak for everyone. also with a few firmwares from various coders you need to find someone who has that rom, has your acekard, and is running the same firmware with the same msd. --- you'd have a better chance finding info on google than matching those paramaters.

-another world

4. Eienring
    OP

Newcomer Eienring Newbie

United States
    Appreciate the response.

I have an Acekard 2 that does not have a version printed on it. Also it only says www.acekard.com on the sticker.
    I'm using the latest official firmware 4.09 from the acekard website.

From the replies, I'm now pretty sure that it's just a game compatibility issue. I can understand having a problem
    with Princess Maker4 since it just came out not too long ago, but I'm a bit surprised at having issues with Castlevania:Portait of Ruins.
    I'm guessing it's just a problem with the Japanese version of the game.

I've read about other firmware releases but I wasn't sure if it was better or just an alternative as opposed to the official firmware.

5. Leein

Newcomer Leein Member

United States
    If memory serves, Castlevania: PoR has always been a problem game.

Also, for Princess Maker 4, I was surfing around on the AK forum boards and it seems others are having similar problems. May just be the fireware that is the problem, but I wouldn't be sure.

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    the official firmware has a more updated loader than AKAIO but AKAIO has other fixes not in the official. I recently read a post by dantheman who said you can keep the official loader in AKAIO and get the best of both worlds. Castlevania has been a problem game on all flash kits (except maybe the cyclo). It has FMV issues as well as random freezing. There are entire sites dedicated to which flash kit and msd combinations are the best for running it. I know it will run off the AK RPG NAND without issue, and i've read that 1 and 2 gb kingston japanese branded msds are good as well.

oh and it sounds like you have the ak2 before the fix. if you recently purchased it keep an eye out for problems. if you start to see FAT errors then you should send it back for a replacement. this is a well known problem due to a manufacturing glitch. the ak2 2.1 no longer suffers from this issue.

cheers,
    -another world