ROM Hack Game Center CX : Arino no Chosenjo 2 (New Start?)

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kung Fu text now has the same line style of the original one, the traits are the same, and the pure pixelated lines maybe doesn't help to make it more enjoyable to eyes...
I think the new text in the recent sketches is a good compromise... or not?
Well let's look at the "kun fu" kana: it actually fits neatly within the crevices of each character, giving it a very dynamic, fluid look in some ways. The English text we have here for Kung Fu instead looks like those old game fonts there x8x letters are spaced out at 8x8 increments, sometimes leaving weird deadspace between fat letters and thin letters (e.g. 'Did' might look more like 'D i d').

Maybe tilt some of the letters of Kung Fu into each others' crevices, like the kana has? Actually, that seems really cool for the English version, as some of the letters would be at angles as if being thrown by the other, like one was picked up and is in the motion of being tossed around, or of trying to get at the other letters. Kinda expressing the game action itself :o Like, the 'K' and the 'U' feel like the could compact together well (still looking at the bottom-left choice).

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well let's look at the "kun fu" kana: it actually fits neatly within the crevices of each character, giving it a very dynamic, fluid look in some ways. The English text we have here for Kung Fu instead looks like those old game fonts there x8x letters are spaced out at 8x8 increments, sometimes leaving weird deadspace between fat letters and thin letters (e.g. 'Did' might look more like 'D i d').

Maybe tilt some of the letters of Kung Fu into each others' crevices, like the kana has? Actually, that seems really cool for the English version, as some of the letters would be at angles as if being thrown by the other, like one was picked up and is in the motion of being tossed around, or of trying to get at the other letters. Kinda expressing the game action itself :o Like, the 'K' and the 'U' feel like the could compact together well (still looking at the bottom-left choice).
I believe kerning is the word you're looking for.

Reactions: Celice

Lazermutt4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thought I'd take a crack at it myself. Tried to keep the title above the sunset.
skff-title.png

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
One last thing to consider with the image is that it may not be a static background with a character sprite over it. If the sun, each individual word, bg elements are all separate that may affect what can be easily done if you try and merge them all into something. I'll have to crack open the files and take a look.

And yeah, I think that last image is pretty awesome, too.

Lazermutt4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last thing to consider with the image is that it may not be a static background with a character sprite over it. If the sun, each individual word, bg elements are all separate that may affect what can be easily done if you try and merge them all into something. I'll have to crack open the files and take a look.

And yeah, I think that last image is pretty awesome, too.
Thanks! Hearing that from the guy in charge means a lot.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
No problem. I think ultimately it should be Super Kung Fu Fighting (despite growing to actually like Mutekiken) but until this whole project is in a more complete state (granted, it is looking in pretty good shape as it is; completely playable from beginning to end with a bunch of missing graphics and some questionable text at times) we are using "Mutekiken" as a place holder for the time being since that is already used in the overlay files, other images, text, dialogue, etc. and that will take time to change and test. I really do like that image, though.

Also, anyone know any good 8x16 bitmap fonts I can use for the Triotos DX taunts? I have something but it looks kind of like the text you'd see at an MSDOS prompt. I'll hack it in anyway but I can swap it out for a better font later.

HumbertHumbert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I draw more different symbols only for example purpose, obviously I mean there will be only one of that tile for the entire playfield.

Even more sketches:

The bottom left is my favorite, for what it's worth. I like the slightly less Chinese-take-out font for Kung Fu, and definitely prefer the bigger, more dynamic brush-drip style of Mutekiken. I agree that "Super Kung Fu" takes up too much space and the overlap is sort of annoying.

Edit: I guess I was too slow, we're already moving towards "Super Kung Fu" - oh well!

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Heh, there is something in Mutekiken/Super Kung Fu that is actually a bit more concerning; the actual names of the "Mutekiken" moves. The first one is displayed when you go into Mutekiken mode and punch or kick someone off the screen after that:

mutekiarts0.png

The next ones are specific moves and combos and these are very densely packed titles. I'm not even sure on the meaning on some of these even though I know what the characters are. It is a lot like how Fist of the North Star had those incredibly complex kanji compounds for the moves people did.

mutekiarts.png

Also, I dug up an 8x16 font for the Triotos DX taunts but I'm thinking there should be a thinner font since the original Japanese was a bit thinner. If anyone has any other font suggestions, paste them here. I'll just overwrite the font without affecting my changes.

sanserif.png

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Those elaborate kanji names for moves would have to be either:
1) swapped with another similar 3~6 letter words (think something like "Secret Ultra Danger Death Fire Cut" or some cliché translation of kung fu moves instead of an impossible more direct translation, and even then you'll have to remove some adjectives to make it fit)

2) leave it untranslated.
Well, Hagane on the SNES did so in its US version without any translation whatsoever, and there's a move on Tales of Graces with untranslated kanji but the character read it in the voice acting.. quite fast actually.

If there's in-game text acting like furigana elsewhere in the game that reads the name of that move, leave it untranslated and include the (abridged) translation in the text.
If not, you could leave it like that untranslated if it's fitting the kung-fu mysterious ambiance (like those people who tattoo "moon" on their arms thinking that it's cool as long as it's in Chinese/Japanese moonrunes aka kanji)...
But if you're the completionist type for the translation you could simply use an abridged translation to replace the kanjis.

I did think of another thing, that if the earlier Tengai Makyou games were ever translated, since the move names were two kanjis, each kanji could be replaced with a little graphic for a potion/heart/water drop/fire/lightning bolt...
That could work for a spell menu, but in your case it would be like a hieroglyph inscription and I doubt you're going for that :P

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Yeah, I have a very limited space to work with the labels and I'm going to bump against a wall no matter how I do it. I think I should sit down and try to figure out what each of those moves are though, even if only for completionism.

Also, I tried putting a taunt into Triotos DX...when I added OAM entries to fit the new characters I got 'splosion! I'll have to debug this...

brokentriotosdx.png

Edit> Color depth issue. Now it is just a length issue, and these lines need to be revised anyway:
almostfixed.png

usr_share

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Try going with the Lufia II / Secret of Mana font or stick with your original font.
It's far more authentic to that era.

AnotherGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you are having trouble coming up with names for the special moves, try this: http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=mamove

For reference's sake, it would be nice to know what the rough translations for each of those moves are to begin with.

One option would be to do what they did in FoTNS: Ken's Rage and add subtitles above or below the kanji, but I assume that's not possible due to there not being enough space without extensive graphic hacking.

Aaron Chmielowiec

OP
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Okay I think I have the combos figured out, sort of. There is a pattern to it. I wasn't able to pull off all of the moves but based on the order these are in the original image and how it is grouped, I believe this is the order:

(All moves start with 無敵拳 which means invincible or unstoppable but I don't know whether or not to prefix every single move with it; seems a bit much)

Standing Punch:
1-hit combo - 無敵拳旋風突 - Whirlwind Punch
2-hit combo - 無敵拳烈風双撃破 - Gale Strike
3-hit combo - 無敵奥義疾風怒濤 - Fury Storm

Standing Kick:
1-hit combo - 無敵拳孤狼脚 - Wolf Strike
2-hit combo - 無敵拳竜虎天破脚 - Tiger Kick
3-hit combo - 無敵奥義獅子奮迅 - Righteous Fury

Crouching Punch:
1-hit combo - 無敵拳無明打 - Illusion Punch
2-hit combo - 無敵拳無心無双撃 - Hammer Strike
3-hit combo - 無敵奥義色即是空 - Desperation Strike

Crouching Kick:
1-hit combo - 無敵拳魔蠍脚 - Scorpion Kick
2-hit combo - 無敵拳双頭毒蛇撃 - Double Snake Kick
3-hit combo - 無敵奥義竜巻一迅 - Tornado Kick

Jumping Punch:
1-hit combo - 無敵拳迅雷打 - Thunder Punch
2-hit combo - 無敵拳轟天突破掌 - Force Punch
3-hit combo - 無敵奥義稲妻炎上 - Lightning Strike

Jumping Kick:
1-hit combo - 無敵拳飛燕弾 - Bullet Kick
2-hit combo - 無敵拳飛竜咆哮破 - Flying Dragon Kick
3-hit combo - 無敵奥義流星胡蝶 - Meteor Kick

Also, thanks for the font ideas, everyone. I'm going to finish off the taunts first and the good news is I can just swap out the font images (a bit tedious but not too time consuming) whenever I want to try a new font.

In any case, it looks like I have 3 lines of 20 characters a piece to make the taunt screens so I just need to make sure it all fits into that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==