Hacking Game Backup file not working

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried doing 1b again without doing anything different than my last attempt and now i get "Detected 'title_<ID0>' folder. Resolve previous run with '(1b) Backup CIAs & Saves'.

also, the missing_titles.txt was empty.
The script's Rebuild 3DS Database has built-in safety checks to prevent user error from trying to repeat previous steps and jumping across the sets: (A) Quick(B) Full (C) Manual.

If that (1b) run did not make a missing_titles.txt, the script did not find any games/DLCs/updates to be missing going by the structure and presence of the titles' subfolders.
  • sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/<TID_HIGH>/<TID_LOW>
, where <TID_HIGH> can be [ 00040000 = games | 0004000e = updates | 0004008c = DLCs ].

If there are titles you were expecting but weren't backed up into CIAs from the (1b) run, the likely explanation they're gone is that they were uninstalled or manually deleted off the SD card before you came to GBAtemp and started this thread.

Finish the rest of steps 7B–10B from Path (B). Figure out which games will need to be reinstalled again by the TitleIDs as listed in this directory.
  • sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/backup/000/00040000<TID_LOW>
.​
  • sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/backup/000/00040000<TID_LOW>
Find, download, collect, and install those replacement CIAs, and finally restore their saves from the Data Management Nintendo 3DS → etc.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Bongert and fmkid

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
assuming i did everything right, nothing worked, the savegame still doesnt work and most of my other savegames are gone entirely. i used checkpoint to restore the saves because the data manegement menu only had two backups, one i did some time ago, nothing important and the other is the one that says there is no software matching the savfile

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ive redone the entire thing from the start and i get the same result. I should also mention that i have a mix of software legitimately bought from the eshop as well as a couple of CIAs, whereas the game in question is from a CIA and is the only CIA game that ive played so far, so it wouldnt be a big deal for the other CIA games to not show up. but everything else had savefiles that wont reappear. Do i need to redownload the games from the eShop, then do the gm9 data restore thing?

Bongert

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok, ill try again and try to document each of my steps as much as possible this time.

I start off by formatting my SD card once again and loading the full backup i have on my PC that i did right after checking my SD card for faultyness.

Here is a picture of my homescreen. The games marked in red are games i installed with CIAs. I always did the install and delete option in order to save space, so ill need to redownload them again, but that isnt a big issue, because none of the games on the right have save files, because i havent played them yet. The red and blue marked one is the game in question with the corrupt save file. The green ones are ones i legitimately own and all except the two Picross games on the bottom right of the cluster, one in red and one in green, have save files.
i just now tried launching the cartridge game again but i got a DispErr again. This isnt a big deal though because i already finished the game and dont plan to play it again, so no worries about that one.

When checking the Data Management menu to restore the backup i did before coming here the file already has no icon and when i select it it says it couldnt find any software.

The other guy told me to use Checkpoint to load in my backup so i went and grabbed the backup file from this directoy ( F:\Nintendo 3DS\229ead35b82e10f1be183f85bf4455d0\01b401184738b6c5534530340002544d\backup\001\0004000000187e00 ) and put it into the right Checkpoint folder, named it "Old Save" and tried loading it.
Checkpoint says it loaded the save successfully, so I start up the game and get a corrupted save message.

At this point you told me to do the SD card checkup, but i think i dont need to repeat that.

From this point ill try to do path B from this guide you sent me.

Ive made backups using Checkpoint of all games listed (some were never launched before so they probably wont show up because of that, but thats fine) and the exdata (though there isnt anything important on anyway (i think)).

After putting the CTRTransfer (Type D9) file into the gm9/scripts folder i hold START and power on the console. I navigate to the Nintendo 3DS folder and delete the import.db and title.db as instructed by the script.
I launch the script and do the "Rebuild 3DS Database" option, choose "Full" and then "Backup CIAs & Saves".
The storage test returns successful.

I then get these three messages and im thrown back out.

At this point stuffs getting funky for me. In the gm9/out folder i find a signle cia for Kid Icarus Uprising next to the three other folders with <ID0>. And when opening the missing_files.txt its just empty.
i can see the two original backups i did, the one for shovel knight and the one for Picross 3D Round two, but the latter one is in a 001 folder whereas the former is in the 000 folder. i dont know if thats anything important or not.
i also have a "backpu2" folder where a whole lot more save files are but none of the IDs are coming up on the sites you posted.

By now, when i boot the console my homescreen is empty aside from the top row. All the games, CIA and eShop are gone.

Assuming that the only CIA with save files i have is Picross 3D Round 2 i load and install that using FBI.
(just a thought i just had: Is it important that i get the exact same CIA file that i originally used? I tried checking my browser history to find exactly where i got it but it doesnt go as far back sadly. when i reinstalled the game i just grabbed the next best i could find, i dont know if its the exact same version tho. checking the title ID on one of those sites its the european version but i tried reinstalling the US version instead. could that be (one of the many) issues?)

Anyway, after installing the game and lauchning it, it creates new save data. Data Management still doesnt recognize the software. Loading the save with Checkpoint returns the corrupt save error again.

This is basically as far as i came the other two attempts but ill try finding the european version again.

Update: AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH i feel so stupid. it works now with the european version.

ill just rollback to my original full backup and get the right cia on this time. sorry for wasting so much time and i appreciate all the help and sticking through with me.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Bongert, that (1b) run should not have prematurely exited out like that.

Because of those failed attempts to back up the sysnand (from post #16) and GodMode9 somehow not being able to create the missing_titles.txt when recording that encountered CIA build error, I think your SD card has that hardware fault as described in the bank teller example analogy.

For the sake of being on the safe side, I advise that you junk the card. It cannot be trusted to hold your data reliably. When you get your replacement SD card, make sure to check that it's a real one in H2testw before using.

Remember that explanation about not to mix the steps or do them out of order (post #21)? That sort of cautious approach also applies to Checkpoint and Data Management as they have different ways in backing up and restoring the saves. The saves themselves are in different formats [ie, decrypted vs console unique encrypted | decompiled files vs single .SAV ].

Reactions: Bongert

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...