aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't matter if the "No on-the-fly patching" turns out to not be true, as long as Download Play works
smile.gif

I totally agree. If it works, thats all I care. People are just being too nit picky and wanting everything to be perfect and cheap.

nuhbiwan79

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I don´t see any reason, why I should change from ez-v to this one. great would have been an integrated ability to use .gba files. I think it will be very expensive in comparison to any other existing slot 1 solution. And the fact that it hast built in memory is a contra to me, and not a pro

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that people should get the G6 real if they're perfectly happy with the current slot 1 card that they have. The G6 Real is more for people that have waited and have money. But, it's good to see new and better flashcards are coming; that just means that companies like R4 and maybe supercard are going to work hard to improve their product and keep their customers happy.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What about the M3 Real? For some reason I just like the idea of removable storage better than a set amount of Flash memory.
I also want more info on the slot-2 add-on. they have been especially tight-lipped about it...

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Too little too late. Anyone who wants a slot one solution to play backups already has a R4 or one of the other good ones out there (EZV, N-Card, etc).

The G6 REAL will only apply to the hardcore of the hardcore.

And for you guys who want this to be cheap. Please stop being ignorant. This will NOT be cheaper then the GBA version (Which is 80$ and only 512MB). Expect DS-X type prices.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
QUOTE said:
They state that the G6DS Real will not patch ROMs on the fly, and instead is a 100% true clean ROM supporting device, which hopefully means it replicates a true 1:1 match against a real DS game cart.
But how can they add soft reset then?
B.

True
unsure.gif
how the hell can they do some of the stuff without patching.
They can't. I'm highly, highly tempted to call BS on the no-patching claim. The manufacturers already tried making this claim once when Slot-1 devices were initially introduced, only for it to become obvious they were patching on the fly. I'm sure Openchip will have a few words(or more) of his own, but it's impossible to run a NDS game off of NAND flash without patching, NAND is just too damn slow compared to what the slot-1 spec calls for.
Was going to mention that. NAND memory = slower but cheaper. I doubt this'll pass the homebrew testing app, and since there is no underlying OS while games are running (unlike the Wii for example), soft-reset patching has to be done on the rom (on the fly obviously). If I decide to get myself one of these, I hope there is an option to disable it (I don't see what the big fuss over soft-reset is anyway - are people really too lazy to simply turn their DS off and on again?).

Funny how NDS flash carts still aren't at the stage of GBA carts in the department of running games 1:1 (yes I know it's more complicated than that, don't worry
wink.gif
)

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about flash card schematics but what if there was some chip in the card that detected a button combination then sent an interrupt packet to the stream of data from the card to the DS which would cause the soft reset. Is that even possible?

AOforever1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All flash cart manufactures claims that their mod will end it all. I'm sick of it. As long as there is competition and there is demand, then there will always be new carts. Anyways, the download play support does look quite interesting. Let's hope they pull through.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just how fast is the DS' slot-1?
Apparently it's top speed is in the range of ~8Mbit/s (to a standard DS cart).

QUOTE(jtroye32 @ Apr 13 2007, 06:47 PM)I don't know much about flash card schematics but what if there was some chip in the card that detected a button combination then sent an interrupt packet to the stream of data from the card to the DS which would cause the soft reset. Is that even possible?
That would require a mod to the DS and not to the ds slot card. The DS slot itself is essentially just 2 memory addresses to the DS and it has no real way besides software for "talking" to the DS' cpus to tell it to do stuff. What you are saying is kind of like "so why can't my SD card in the card reader tell my PC to reboot when I press certain keys on my keyboard, without any program running to do it?"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-