Hacking G6 Lite vs. EZ-Flash 4 Lite

pached

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey I'm new to the whole flash cart scene and I've been doing research on which one I should get for my DS Lite. To me, it seems like everyone is making a big deal about the G6 Lite, but I haven't heard much about the EZ-Flash 4 Lite.

I've done a bit of searching, but haven't found any direct comparisons on the two. If you experienced people can help a noob out, I'd really appreciate it!
wink.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The G6 Lite..

- fits fully flush with the NDS Lite
- is available in different colours but there's no guarantee what you'll get in the box
- has the same 'glossy finish' as the NDS Lite
- comes with a standard GBA casing so you can use it on your other GBA devices or your regular NDS
- solid build quality
- is plug and play, no drivers to install
- along with it's brother (the G6) it is the fastest NDS flash cart
- has 4GBit (512MB) of internal flash memory
- 100% compatible with all NDS ROMs

The EZ-Flash IV Lite..

- sticks out of the NDS Lite 0.8mm
- is available in white/ice blue/enamel navy colours, all casings come in the box
- does not have the 'glossy finish' of the NDS Lite
- very cheap build quality
- is plug and play, no drivers to install
- comes with a USB extension cable in case the SD reader won't fit in your USB port
- uses microSD (sometimes still called Transflash) for expandable storage space
- microSD slot does not contain a 'spring', therefore the card is nearly impossible to remove/insert frequently without modifying the casing
- compatible with 98% of NDS ROMS (according to EZ-Team, 8 do not work yet)

That's just quick off the top of my head. The major difference is obviously that one is a real flashcart (The G6 Lite), containing it's own fixed flash memory, while the other is a flash kit - you will need to supply your own memory. It comes down to what you'll be using the device for, and whether or not speed/storage space are major factors in your decision. Other than that, they're mostly on equal footing.

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think the G6 Lite is the best.

I cancelled my order for the G6 Lite English and ordered the EZ4 Lite as I'm going on holiday at the beginning of August.

In case anyone is interested Cheapmod.net have EZ4 Lites in stock.

It's quite a good deal for UK buyers because an EZ4 Lite with 1st Class Post cost me £38.88

At winsunx it's only $47 but postage is about $25 so price would work out about the same

troublesome

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"- very cheap build quality"
have you seen the pictures of the official retail version of G6 lite (the translucent plastic/see through)... it looks pretty cheap to me. And how can you compare the build quality? when you havent personally taken it apart and tested it thoroughly in order to support your statement.. if there are some sites that did so than i would love to read them... thnx...
just giving a good comparison so some1 can pick the right one for them

Tir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"- very cheap build quality"
have you seen the pictures of the official retail version of G6 lite (the translucent plastic/see through)... it looks pretty cheap to me. And how can you compare the build quality? when you havent personally taken it apart and tested it thoroughly in order to support your statement.. if there are some sites that did so than i would love to read them... thnx...Â
just giving a good comparison so some1 can pick the right one for them
Plastic joins that aren't properly connected and users having to file down the plastic to get the card out is pretty bad quality control on EZ4's part.

Slowdown is another big minus for the EZ4L.

AeroScap

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is slowdown but nothing humanly annoying. e.g. less than 2 seconds.

Filing is NOT required, just a piece of tape in the form of a tab on the TF.

I would rather that than to fit only around 12 games. I play anime and music a lot on my lite.

And the sheer amount of people that get the high speed TF cards should really stop. My TF card (the slowest and cheapest) only has about 1 sec load time on DS games. (even the bigger games).

When you offer a balanced comparision; please make sure that it is balanced..

pirate_arrh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Bro, this is the same dilema i am facing

On one hand i would really like removable memeory as i do not have a portable video player. EZ4 would be great for this.

But the slow downs, non flush fitting and 'fair' quality of EZ4 worries me. I have EZ2 (which was awesome), and EZ3, which is not so awesome, but still ok.

The solidness of the g6 really attracts me, but like i said i would like large memory for simpsons etc. on the go.

Oh just to throw a spanner in the works, super card has a 'lite' version coming.(My bro has the mini sd version and it is solid as.)

So basically it comes down to:

Get g6 - but do you wait for english version or just get chinese???? (which is totally sweet as far as i know)

Risk EZ4, 'fair' build quality, some slow down, (how will this affect video???) not flush fitting, BUT its cheap

OR Wait for Supercard lite, (which could suck or be ok, or be 6 months away?!?!?!)

Its a hard choice.

I am leaning toward either g6 or wait a bit longer and get supercard (if its sweet).

I am using EZ3 ATM so i am not desparate, (no tetris brain train etc tho).

What a fantastic post from a 'low post' 25 yo noob. Reppin' for NZ

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that the EZ-flash is supposed to have an ever so slight advantage in the gba arena although it lacks RTC support (RTC is only in a small amount of games which can be patched to work). Mostly because the G6 occasionally likes to corrupt gba saves. But at the end both should be more than adequate in that arena.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is really no such thing as 'better' WiFi support - there is no difference between using a cart and a rom on WiFi.

@ AeroScap: Filing may not be required, but it's infinitely better than constantly having to attach tape to the microSD to get it out, and then taking it off to write files to it, and putting it back on to take it out. It was a terrible design decision to forgo the spring, as anyone with say, an M3 SD product would be used to, it's simply crap to not have.

@ troublesome: I own all the carts, and the G6 Lite & EZ-Flash IV Lite are INTENDED to be taken apart, as they each come with different cartridge casings. The EZ-Flash IV Lite's plastic casings are a joke, I've had cheap toys with a more solid construction. Heck, all but one of the cases included don't even align properly when screwed together! When you put an EZ-Flash IV Lite beside even the cheapest of carts, a SuperCard - the SuperCard looks like royalty.

GBA support is pretty much equal between the two, though the G6 Lite does contain the RTC (Real Time Clock) whereas the EZ-Flash IV Lite does not.

I am not a 'fanboy' of any one cart, but the G6 Lite clearly has advantages over the EZ-Flash IV Lite. If you've purchased the EZ-IV, please do not take offense when trying to defend it - it does have flaws, the EZ-Team is not perfect, and they really released a half-ass, shoddy product. If you like it and find it usable, or more likely spent the money and now can't get anything else, that's OK - but to prospective purchasers, it's only fair for them to be aware of it's problems so that they may make a more informed decision.

miko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Qrayzie thanks. I am asking because I heard that M3 has same wifi cheat...
So if you have truth thats cool.

But what is that when your friend code will be changed after restart/recopy game?

yaynds.gif

AeroScap

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is really no such thing as 'better' WiFi support - there is no difference between using a cart and a rom on WiFi.

@ AeroScap: Filing may not be required, but it's infinitely better than constantly having to attach tape to the microSD to get it out, and then taking it off to write files to it, and putting it back on to take it out. It was a terrible design decision to forgo the spring, as anyone with say, an M3 SD product would be used to, it's simply crap to not have.

To be frank I am old enough not to be biast towards these type of things.

@Qrayzie: I attached about a 0.5cm of tape which the sticky side is on the top and bottom of the TF and it's still on there ever since it was first released.

On that same note I love the SC SD spring and

yumms

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I mainly bought EZFlash Lite over G6 cause of expandable memory, 512mb is too low for me even when only used of games and nothing else. Some of the upcoming DS games are getting pretty big.

Though I'll probably pick up SC Lite, if priced reasonably, and sell EZFlash

TM_Sephiroth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
Qrayzie thanks. I am asking because I heard that M3 has same wifi cheat...
So if you have truth thats cool.

But what is that when your friend code will be changed after restart/recopy game?

Your friend code is generated via a combination of your game and your ds. So if you change either one then your friend code changes.

So, If I play a game online...delete it after that...
Then, copy again the SAME rom and play with the same DS, friend code won't be changed?

trib4lmaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've emailed M3 Perfect and they say they are bringing out an M3 Lite Micro-SD version in a few weeks!
QUOTE said:
Hi ,

Thanks for your concern about our products.
We will release the M3 lite later (M3 micro SD).
It will fit into the GBA cartridge slot of the DS Lite without any sticking out.
It will be available around August 15th.

Regards Danny
I've mailed back asking for a bit more info. I'll post it here when I get it.

Thorisoka

Trophies
Website
www.nintendojofr.com
XP
Country
France
I've emailed M3 Perfect and they say they are bringing out an M3 Lite Micro-SD version in a few weeks!
QUOTE said:
Hi ,

Thanks for your concern about our products.
We will release the M3 lite later (M3 micro SD).
It will fit into the GBA cartridge slot of the DS Lite without any sticking out.
It will be available around August 15th.

Regards Danny
I've mailed back asking for a bit more info. I'll post it here when I get it.

Same answer each time, with "next month" and that formated "It will fit into the GBA cartridge slot of the DS Lite without any sticking out." sentence...

oh, wait, thay gave a release date this time ! rah can't wait !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I'll stick with my kimchi thank you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Triglycerides almost 900
  • Minox @ Minox:
    No idea what any of those things you mention are
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cholesterol and Triglycerides? Basically a way they measure fatty cells in your blood
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Cholesterol is sorta high, according to my doc
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce +1