Hacking G6 Lite dying? (long read)

dividend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It was just the other day when my Mario Party save got corrupted. So I was thinking, I should back-up all my saves incase something happens to the rest of my save files. Well I plugged it in to the computer, and that's where things started getting worse.

After plugging it in and out 10 or so times so my computer could finally recognize the drive (This is Normal, and yes I've cleaned the contacts numerous times, and yes I always Safely Removed Hardware each and every time), finally the blue LED came on. I navigate in Windows Explorer to the directory with the save files, but it tells me access denied. Then my computer freezes up, and I notice the blue LED is now off. After my computer unfreezes, I safely remove hardware, and just to check things out, I put the flash cart back in my DS. I notice ALL my games have been renamed. They have all been truncated to 6 letters plus "~q.NDS"

For example,
New Super Mario Bros.nds became NEWSUP~q.NDS
Zelda - Phantom Hourglass.nds became ZELDAm~q.NDS
Tetris DS.nds became TETRIS~q.NDS
Clubhouse Games.nds became CLUBHO~q.NDS
etc...

The games did still work however. I plug the G6 back into my computer. After another 10 times, it's finally detected. I notice in Windows Explorer how all the games are now renamed how I saw them on the DS. I still can't pull my save files, but the computer didn't freeze this time, so I loaded up the U-Disk manager. Once I click on the NDS tab, I got the error message "an unnamed file was not found." Then the U-Disk manager froze and closes on me.

I figure it's time to format the card. This would be my second time doing so. But this second time around (and third, fourth, fifth time around), I haven't been successful. I've formatted FAT (not FAT32), used Mputility, and ran chkdsk. Each time I try to write new games to the card, after the 2nd or 3rd game, it will freeze in the middle of writing and do what I previously described - when checking the card on the DS, the game names become truncated, and when clicking the NDS tab "unnamed file was not found."

This card has always been a hassle, but at least it worked. Now it doesn't even work. I've read most the threads on here on possible fixes like entering GBA mode and clearing the memory through there when the green text comes up (sometimes it lets me, sometimes it fails), but this card is still messed up.

So frustrating... if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears!
Thanks in advance.

P.S. I know the FAQ says corruption issue is likely due to USER error, but I disagree and think it's a bad product. I own 2 G6's and they BOTH give me trouble. This one seems like it's almost dead. I'm not your average Joe with the computer either...

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
I will suggest the use of a screwdriver ... One time i recover a corrupted G6 lite lossing contacts and generating corruption by opening the shell and cleaning everything then changing the shell and turning screws a little harder.

I fear lot of slot cards like G6 lite had a very limited life time ... like nexus 6 ;-)

dividend

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...any good news on your cart or did you figure out what the problem is...?

greets

Unfortunately, no solution... I add games 1 at a time so it doesn't freeze, remove the flashcart, and put it in my computer again if I want to add another game... It plays fine in my DS... just a PITA if I want to switch up my games. It's basically on it's last legs I believe... I have an R4 on the way though. Hopefully it won't give me fits
grog.gif

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my trusty G6 lite since it was released. It's never corrupted on my, but latley it's been screwey. Not when i'm hooking it up to my computer, but like sometimes i'll lose a save I just saved and it'll freeze sometimes. The contacts are gettin' pretty bad too. It seems like G6 is indeed on a few of its last strands.

But as long as the fine team keeps releasing firmware and udisk manager updates, I think it'll be fine. But damn i'm feenin' for an acekard rpg....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: