Hacking FW Updating and Hacking 1.0.0 Switch?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm good with that. I don't want to use their software, just the hardware. I looked at the other dongles and this looked like a nice solution to inject payloads. The small form factor, build quality, and easy charging is what interested me.

You should know though, a lot of people are reporting problems with the TX dongle, mostly the fact that the caps burn out and renders it unusable(no charge basically). Doesn't happen to everyone but it's there

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay...This is what I am doing right now.

I am following the Backup / Restore you Nand + Get....

The next thing I was going to do once the backup is complete I was going to ChoiDujourNX and go to 5.1 NOT 6.0...I seen some folks were having issues with 6.0.

Sounds like I am following your foot steps. What I would like to know, if I put the ReiNX payload on my SDCARD not the SXOS one, it will boot ReiNX correct? The SXOS CFW is not embedded in to the dongle, is it?

Also since you have first hand experience, I take it you made your backup with your SDCARD on FAT32, then after you finished with your backup, you reformatted to exFAT?
The payload embedded in the dongle will load SX OS because it will only load boot.dat aka SX OS. If you want the dongle to automatically boot ReiNX, then you will need to convert ReiNX into boot.dat which you do with this tool. You can also backup your NAND in exFAT if you want.

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should know though, a lot of people are reporting problems with the TX dongle, mostly the fact that the caps burn out and renders it unusable(no charge basically). Doesn't happen to everyone but it's there

Thanks for the tip!

The payload embedded in the dongle will load SX OS because it will only load boot.dat aka SX OS. If you want the dongle to automatically boot ReiNX, then you will need to convert ReiNX into boot.dat which you do with this tool. You can also backup your NAND in exFAT if you want.

Ok thanks for the heads up on needing to convert the ReiNX payload, and shoot...I already let the Switch format the MicroSD card and am at 64% complete of the emmc Raw Gpp backup.

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My comment about obsolescence was referring SXOS 1.0 not a Switch on FW 1.0. SX OS 1.0 IS obsolete. anything under 1.9 is obsolete. And the CS fuse is a moot point. I understand wanting to stay on a certain FW, more power to you. IF you stay on 1.0 you can only play a few games from the cart slot. The NoGC patch makes your switch too slow. And my intent was really just about presenting every option and letting the OP choose. Tempers are an opinionated bunch from time to time that conveniently leave out information, especially about SX OS and GW. And then sit there and pretend that it's the only way. Same handful of "people" seem to just want to wipe out other options and pretend they are the master race. So 3rd Reich. SX OS has a couple unique perks the others don't. Just like GW. Present the information but don't make up someone else's mind for them. I NEVER said Switch FW 1.0 is obsolete. Unless you want to play SMO or Skyrim, but it has it's issues. So do the other guys. Besides,last I tried it, the NO GC patch was too slow for my taste.

That's fair, and I apologize. I misread your statement as a 1.0.0 Switch, and not SXOS 1.0. However, I don't agree that the cartridge slot fuse is a moot point, as that would prohibit the original poster from running 1.0.0 cartridges on his Switch, which he would have been able to do before hacking the Switch. Perhaps what you say about the patch making the Switch too slow is true, and I'll assume it is (I haven't tried any of those methods, as I'm too afraid that I'll screw something up/brick my Switch, and would really prefer an "EmuNAND" solution). If it is true, then that's something that I didn't take into consideration.

I'm good with that. I don't want to use their software, just the hardware. I looked at the other dongles and this looked like a nice solution to inject payloads. The small form factor, build quality, and easy charging is what interested me.

Eh, I probably shouldn't have included that. :unsure: Their product does seem to have a bit of a convenience to it, I will admit. I mostly dislike them due to ethical reasons.

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the op needs to do is get into Rcm mode nand backup.
Load up Hekate then CFW install firmaware 5.1 with ChoiDujourNX with exfat support and done..

Just did my 1.0 switch a few weeks back.. had no issues. NO burnt fuses and can go back any time..
Load up ReinNX after you update to 5.1.
Every reboot you will atomaticlly be in RCM mode.

If im not mistaken ReiNX does not update game cart when

So I've completed my NAND backup. I can boot in to CFW, but when I go to Album it briefly shows me the Homebrew menu, then the screen goes dark. I have a feeling there may be some incompatibility with the current Homebrew channel and the early firmware. Any advice?

coveiro24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

That is not true...
You can load any payload you want directly! Just replace the boot from sx pro with the sx gear and put your selected payload.bin of your choice! Simple!

Last edited by coveiro24,

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you have your SD Card setup correctly.
SDFILES for the switch Download https://gbatemp.net/threads/newest-hekate-sdfiles-zip.506280/

May be why you are having issues.

I was able to get my FW updated to 5.1.0 last night by using RajNX and am successfully sitting with only 1 Fuse burned.

After updating ChoiDujourNX states I should use a profile that prevents GCUPDATE. So after updating I ran RajNX again with no GCUPDATE selected. Now I can't use any of my Game Cards. It repeatedly tells me the Game Card can not be read...Any advice?

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I was able to get my FW updated to 5.1.0 last night by using RajNX and am successfully sitting with only 1 Fuse burned.

After updating ChoiDujourNX states I should use a profile that prevents GCUPDATE. So after updating I ran RajNX again with no GCUPDATE selected. Now I can't use any of my Game Cards. It repeatedly tells me the Game Card can not be read...Any advice?

GCUPDATE=Game Cart Update. Meaning that without this, game carts will no longer run

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There is an update for the gamecart slot in firmware 4.0 that when applied, renders the slot unusable on firmwares below 4.0. ChoiDujourNX automatically creates a patch that prevents the gamecart slot from working on firmwares 4.0 and above when you update to a firmware of 4.0 and above to prevent the slot from being updated. The reason for this is because there may be an exploit in the future that relies a firmware lower than 4.0 and a working gamecart slot so if yours is updated, then you will be unable to utilize said exploit.

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an update for the gamecart slot in firmware 4.0 that when applied, renders the slot unusable on firmwares below 4.0. ChoiDujourNX automatically creates a patch that prevents the gamecart slot from working on firmwares 4.0 and above when you update to a firmware of 4.0 and above to prevent the slot from being updated. The reason for this is because there may be an exploit in the future that relies a firmware lower than 4.0 and a working gamecart slot so if yours is updated, then you will be unable to utilize said exploit.

LOL I am not having the best of luck here. So I guess the only way to play a game on my Switch is to pirate it then? I have around 40 physical games. Is there anyway I can play them on my Switch? Is there a way to dump the carts to SD via Hekate since I can't boot in to Horizion with a working gamecard slot? Lastly must I launch such a profile that says prevent GCUPDATE, or can I just use ReiNX at this point?

Also the big Backup Restore guide mentions using Kezplez to grab my Keys.txt. This seems to keep crashing my Switch and I am unable to do it. I did not get the Keys.txt while I was on 1.0.0, is that going to be an issue getting them on 5.1.0 or will the file be the same, still allowing me to downgrade back to 1.0.0?

ETA: I would like to now switch to exFAT since I am on a supported firmware. Is it as simple as copy / pasting from the microSD card after I have re-formatted in exFAT?

Last edited by metaphz,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL I am not having the best of luck here. So I guess the only way to play a game on my Switch is to pirate it then? I have around 40 physical games. Is there anyway I can play them on my Switch? Is there a way to dump the carts to SD via Hekate since I can't boot in to Horizion with a working gamecard slot? Lastly must I launch such a profile that says prevent GCUPDATE, or can I just use ReiNX at this point?

Also the big Backup Restore guide mentions using Kezplez to grab my Keys.txt. This seems to keep crashing my Switch and I am unable to do it. I did not get the Keys.txt while I was on 1.0.0, is that going to be an issue getting them on 5.1.0 or will the file be the same, still allowing me to downgrade back to 1.0.0?

ETA: I would like to now switch to exFAT since I am on a supported firmware. Is it as simple as copy / pasting from the microSD card after I have re-formatted in exFAT?
If you don't mind updating your gamecart slot permanently and losing out on a potential possible future exploit, you can just let the slot get updated so you can play your retail cartridges on firmwares on 4.0 and higher. Otherwise, you would have to install them into your system as .XCI files using ZeroTwoXCI/dOPUS or converting them to .NSP format (with 4NXCI/dOPUS). To dump your cartridges, you will have to use a homebrew application such as gcdumptool or WAIN Cart Dumper. And depending on the CFW you use, they have different ways of blocking the gamecart update. When loading a CFW with Hekate, you must use a launch profile that has the prevent GCUPDATE. For ReiNX, blocking the update involves making an empty file named nogc and placing it in the ReiNX folder.

Kezplez should work on any firmware (there were specific instructions for firmwares 1.0-2.3.0 if I recall correctly, however those no longer apply to higher firmwares).

If your console now has exFAT support and you wish to use an exFAT formatted SD card, just copy and paste the contents directly from one SD card to another.

Reactions: Pluupy

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind updating your gamecart slot permanently and losing out on a potential possible future exploit, you can just let the slot get updated so you can play your retail cartridges on firmwares on 4.0 and higher. Otherwise, you would have to install them into your system as .XCI files using ZeroTwoXCI/dOPUS or converting them to .NSP format (with 4NXCI/dOPUS). To dump your cartridges, you will have to use a homebrew application such as gcdumptool or WAIN Cart Dumper. And depending on the CFW you use, they have different ways of blocking the gamecart update. When loading a CFW with Hekate, you must use a launch profile that has the prevent GCUPDATE. For ReiNX, blocking the update involves making an empty file named nogc and placing it in the ReiNX folder.

Kezplez should work on any firmware (there were specific instructions for firmwares 1.0-2.3.0 if I recall correctly, however those no longer apply to higher firmwares).

If your console now has exFAT support and you wish to use an exFAT formatted SD card, just copy and paste the contents directly from one SD card to another.

Thank you for you input. Before reading your reply I booted in to ReiNX to try Kezplez and it still crashed at the very end. Now that I read your reply you mention placing an empty file named nogc in the ReiNX folder. I did not do that prior to booting in to ReiNX. I had no cart in the Switch at the time. Did that allow the Game Card controller to just update since I am now on a newer firmware?

This gets a tad confusing...

The way I understand this there are two firmwares involved with the Game Card and Slot. One is a a potential Game Card Horizion FW update (ie 1.0.0 - 5.1.0) , and then there is the Firmware for the Game Card controller.

I am trying to not lose the ability to go back to complete stock 1.0.0 at some time if Coldboot becomes viable.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for you input. Before reading your reply I booted in to ReiNX to try Kezplez and it still crashed at the very end. Now that I read your reply you mention placing an empty file named nogc in the ReiNX folder. I did not do that prior to booting in to ReiNX. I had no cart in the Switch at the time. Did that allow the Game Card controller to just update since I am now on a newer firmware?

This gets a tad confusing...

The way I understand this there are two firmwares involved with the Game Card and Slot. One is a a potential Game Card Horizion FW update (ie 1.0.0 - 5.1.0) , and then there is the Firmware for the Game Card controller.

I am trying to not lose the ability to go back to complete stock 1.0.0 at some time if Coldboot becomes viable.
If you booted ReiNX on a firmware above 4.0 or higher without the nogc file and your gamecart slot wasn't updated, it is now updated regardless if you had a cartridge inserted or not (having a cartridge inserted when nogc is applied slows down the boot up). At this point, there is nothing more that you can do.

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you booted ReiNX on a firmware above 4.0 or higher without the nogc file and your gamecart slot wasn't updated, it is now updated regardless if you had a cartridge inserted or not (having a cartridge inserted when nogc is applied slows down the boot up). At this point, there is nothing more that you can do.

So long and short is I can go back to 1.0.0 but I can't ever use the Gamecard slot on 1.0.0?

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sigh...I wish there was more specific instructions for this. Everything is very piece meal, I am pretty frustrated I was doing everything to prevent this. So I guess I can use the gamecard slot now. I went back and downloaded KezplezNX again incin case I didn't have the current version now I doesn't even run just crashes. I have a keys.txt from when it crashed at the very end but it looks like part of it is truncated

sd_card_kek_source = nokey € € € €
sd_card_save_key_source = nokey € € € € € € €
sd_card_nca_key_source = nokey € € € € € € €

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sigh...I wish there was more specific instructions for this. Everything is very piece meal, I am pretty frustrated I was doing everything to prevent this. So I guess I can use the gamecard slot now. I went back and downloaded KezplezNX again incin case I didn't have the current version now I doesn't even run just crashes. I have a keys.txt from when it crashed at the very end but it looks like part of it is truncated
That's fine, you can look up the remaining keys if you enter their names in Google.

metaphz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Th
That's fine, you can look up the remaining keys if you enter their names in Google.

Thanks, I appreciate all you help along with everyone else here.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Draxzelex

I did some GoogleFu and found what you were talking about. I don't have that many entries in my Keys.txt. I feel like I may be missing some (ie SSL is missing). Should I just go back and try to dump this again? Does it matter what Firmware version I am on? Do I need this to restore a previous NAND backup?

Reactions: Draxzelex

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: LTT also did it