WIP Convert any payload to TX boot.dat

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Insane, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Insane
    OP

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    Well I had too much time on my hands, so I took a look at CtCaers python script to convert a payload to a boot.dat for tx (https://twitter.com/ctcaer/status/1017048606971453441?lang=en)

So <insert witty and snarky post> https://sx-boot-dat-creator.herokuapp.com/
    This is a POC (Proof-Of-Concept) for converting a payload to a boot.dat. I personally tested it successfully with hekate.

Enjoy or rather not, since I know you will not run this!

But you can have the source at https://github.com/choss/java-sx-boot-dat-creator-webui

2. jahrs

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    Are you saying someone can basically use this and TXs gear to load any payload/cfw?

Pretty cool if so unless im missing something

3. Insane
    OP

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    Yep that was the idea. I liked turning the SX dongle in something which runs payloads without any (non dongle) sx code

4. jahrs

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    Thats pretty badass good job man you mightve just made something you can enter in the homebrew contest and get a decent place on the list.

Insane likes this.
  5. Insane
    OP

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    Thanks man, I appreciate the sentiment.
    The real thanks though belongs to the people reverse engineering that stuff and writing tweets and doing simple scripts for that. Not the guy who made a Web service out of it.

Also I mainly just did it to personally have a cool dongle to boot stuff, since I like the TX dongle the most.

6. jahrs

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    fair enough but hey never hurts to throw your hat in the ring for sh*ts and giggles you might inspire others to do the same.

7. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    Xandrid is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 27, 2016
    Nigeria
    Wow I really needed this, I really appreciate this

8. AnalogMan

AnalogMan ultraSuMoFramework Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    I understand you did this because you didn't want to use SX Code (the SX Gear boot.dat whose sole purpose is to automatically chain load a 'payload.bin' file) but as a user why would I do this when I could just use the Gear boot.dat and leave the payload untouched and easily updatable without having to convert it each time?

9. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

GBAtemp Patron
    Quantumcat is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    A fellow Java programmer and Heroku user! :bow::bow::bow:
    If you want a collaborator on any future projects give me a buzz. Isn't Spring Boot the best thing since sliced bread?

Last edited by Quantumcat, Sep 24, 2018
    Xandrid likes this.
  10. Insane
    OP

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    Well as a user we don't know if the chainloading features introduces some other bugs, so it is always good to have options. Also the beauty of homebrew is that you don't have to care about it, but you know it exists, so if TX at some point in time stops supporting, the trusty tool will still be there (at least on my github, or any other code hosting platform). And as a user you gain the most important thing ever: choice.
    Thanks for the offer. If I find something to occupy my time with I will definitely give you a buzz! Just don't stray to the "evil" python ;) . But I must say one thing: spring boot cannot be the best thing since sliced bread, because spring (without boot) already is! Spring boot just makes the job even easier, by sacrificing some flexibility. (Well it is my 3rd time using spring boot and the other two times failed horribly due to reasons, which are my companies own fault.) I can only say: I had the chance to talk to some person heavily involved in creating spring boot and it was a pure bliss!

Quantumcat likes this.
  11. Phenj

Phenj GBAtemp Fan

May 22, 2018
    Italy
    So now basically any SX OS Dongle is a SX GEAR, lol

12. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Mt. Celeste
    Thanks for creating this! This'll be super helpful

Insane likes this.
  13. XstahSie

XstahSie Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    Thanks so much for this web based boot.dat creator. Got it to work all from my phone!

Insane likes this.