Hacking Future Cyclo owner.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Ok, so me and my wife keep fighting over our DS lite, and wew ere thinking about getting another.

Well, then I thought about what flashcart I wanted, and I decided on the Cyclo. I had the EDGE in the past, and I LOVED it. but now I have a M3 Real and im kinda disspointed, so Ive decided to support Team cyclo.

i just have a few questions. Does the CycloDS bypass the warning screen, or autoskip?

Is the RTS and the Soft reset feature incompatible with some games? I have that problem with my M3 Real.

Also, can you Delete roms with CycloDS in the menu?

I think thats all the Qs I have for now.

leiger

Trophies
XP
Country
The CycloDS does not bypass the warning screen. You can do that by either flashing your firmware or using the battery-removal trick though.

Real Time Save and Soft-reset are used via the in-game Enhanced menu. Some games (Black Sigil is a recent example) currently do not support the Enhanced menu... so as a result RTS and soft-reset can't be accessed. The ability to slow down a game, and to enable/disable cheats mid-game, are available from the enhanced menu as well. Luckily, the number of games with this problem is small.

At the current time, you can only delete files from your computer. However, announced officially on 4th July 2008 in this post by Evolution (just over 1 year ago), we know that the new GUI will support file operations - including file deletion. To the best of my knowledge, they are still working on the GUI.. and my guess (though not confirmed anywhere by TC) is that they'll release it on the same day as the DSi cart is released.

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Honestly, the screen skipping doesnt bother me much, and as long as I can actually RUN the game, RTS, ect are not an issue, but with the M3 Real, some games freeze in areas and you have to figure out whether or not its the RTS, the Soft reset, or just a game incompatable with the M3 real.

and as long as file operations are announced officially, I consider that a yes.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No the CycloDS does not bypass the warning screen. This can be seen as both a positive or negative. The good thing is that it doesn't force the DS to boot slot-1, so you can still access the DS menu (by holding Start+Select after power on) without having to take out your flash cart. Bad thing is that it takes a bit longer because of the health warning screen.

Real Time Save does work for most games, with only a few exceptions here and there. Most notably is Black Sigil, where you can't even get into the enhanced menu. Another game is Megaman Zero Advent, which does not support RTS.

The CycloDS GUI does not support deletion of files, but you can still do it via homebrew such as DSOrganize.

MelodieOctavia

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Homebrew was also a big pull for me. Sakura sucks for homebrew, and booting into a different firmware just to use it is just like using a different cart, so I might as well get another cart :/

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
i love cyclods.

here are some more reasons to get it:
supports text reading while in-game.
lasts long (at least for me), had it for 1.5 years now, no big problems.
support team is reliable.
supports moonshell 2.

budrow66

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The cyclo does not auto-boot but you can set the DSL's firmware to do this. It will still show health warning tho.
Please o please do not flash the firmware of the DS. It will mess up your wifi. And there is no reason for it now anyway.
Only a few games do not have enhanced menu options. This keeps you from all features of the cyclo except cheats.
No file deletion yet but as said above me, the new GUI is supposed to have file opperations.
Hope it helps

leiger

Trophies
XP
Country
budrow66 said:
Please o please do not flash the firmware of the DS. It will mess up your wifi. And there is no reason for it now anyway.

Yeah, I only added that suggestion because I wanted to list all of the options.

I recommend just putting up with it as I do
tongue.gif
Or, use the battery trick.

Both battery trick and firmware flashing can be undone anyway, so either way it's not going to be a problem if you plan to sell the DS eventually.

aphirst

Trophies
Website
aphirst.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
budrow66 said:

It does? I've lurked these here forums for a fair while. and haven't seen a reference to this. Where was this first brought up?

Vincent T

Trophies
Website
www.myanimelist.net
XP
Country
United States
dudeonline said:
Ok, so me and my wife keep fighting over our DS lite, and wew ere thinking about getting another.

Well, then I thought about what flashcart I wanted, and I decided on the Cyclo. I had the EDGE in the past, and I LOVED it. but now I have a M3 Real and im kinda disspointed, so Ive decided to support Team cyclo.

i just have a few questions. Does the CycloDS bypass the warning screen, or autoskip?
No, you still have to tap to pass the warning screen.

Is the RTS and the Soft reset feature incompatible with some games? I have that problem with my M3 Real.
There may be some bugs, but most of the games should work fine.

Also, can you Delete roms with CycloDS in the menu?
No, the Cyclo can't delete games on the menu.

I think thats all the Qs I have for now.

Eternity`

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
All i can say is that the Cyclo is a very future rich card. It has a very active team supporting it and Updates are comming reg.

If i may go offtopic, what is that battery trick where you all talking about, Did i miss something?
tongue.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DeMoN said:
The "battery trick" is simply a technique used to flash a DS, which we already agreed should not be done.
Actually, the battery trick is an alternative way to skip the H&S warning without having to flash. Basically it involves having the DS on Auto mode, taking the battery out, putting it back so you have the initial setup screen again. You fill in your details, then instead of pressing save to turn the system off, I think you take the battery out again, so it remembers your details, but still asks you as though you've just bought it. Because it's on Auto, it boots the card straight away without showing the warning
smile.gif

I've not done it, the warning doesn't bother me that much, so if any details were missed out, feel free to correct me
smileipb2.png

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see. Are there any downsides to doing that? Like, is there a possibility of bricking your DS? Because if it is as simple as you said, I think more people would have tried it.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
At this point I just have to ask which is the best flash card to transfer from the M3i Zero over to. The CycloDS seems to get mentioned a lot, is that any good? I guess it comes down to four specific questions:

Is the CycloDS capable of working on updating DSi firmwares? Can it work on the DSi's firmware 1.4, for example?

Do the cheat codes always work on the CycloDS? The M3 doesn't apparently support cheat codes, since as far back as Tornado the cheat codes haven't been working correctly, and even today they still don't, with cheat finders putting the blame on any firmware that isn't AceKard or CycloDS.

Does the CycloDS have a smooth-scrolling firmware with pretty skins just like the M3 Sakura? With 1-line view mode, the ability to choose any file from the menu without needing to juggle between different browsing modes like with the TouchPod?

Can save files from the M3 work just as well on the CycloDS, or are there conversions necessary? And if so, why the hell doesn't shunyweb release a frigging downloadable file already instead of wasting their own bandwidth and relying on their own server's connection to allow people to convert saves? I swear, ever since Google people have been relying too much on the internet instead of the offline reliability of their own hard drives.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Cyclo does not work on the DSi at all, so there's no point in asking if it can update itself.
If you want a new DSi flash cart, check out the Acekard 2i.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
The Cyclo does not work on the DSi at all, so there's no point in asking if it can update itself.
If you want a new DSi flash cart, check out the Acekard 2i.

Okay, so take the previous questions up above and replace "CycloDS" with "Acekard2i".

I'm a little confused though. If the team behind CycloDS doesn't have a DSi-compatible card like I was told they did, why do they get mentioned today? Why is there a note in the cheat.db that bothers to say "Only works with Acekard and Cyclo" if they aren't worth buying?

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone has a DSi obviously, and for the people who don't, it makes no difference to them that the Cyclo is not DSi-compatible; the Cyclo is still one of the best DS flash carts in the market, and for that reason it still gets mentioned and it is still worth buying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT +1