Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

dnogwat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Isn't the date moving all the time?
well, for example if a web-shop can handle 1000 orders a month. After every 1000 sales, the estimated shipping date will change a month.
so first 1000 sales ship in Feb, second 1000 sales ship in March, third 1000 sales ship in April.

Last edited by dnogwat,
Reactions: MountainMan23

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ARG showed it in one of his vids that the loading screens are like, twice as long as actual carts, but keep in mind that's like, 4 seconds instead of 2, and the game run speed is still the same. So it's not a huge deal in my eyes.

Atlas722

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Most resellers on the MigSwitch website are either offline or shady vendors without any traceability
Moded hardware is shady? Interesting.

Plus, and this is the most interesting: the owners of various Telegram groups related to MIGSWITCH claim that they speak to the developers, but not a single proof of that is given.
Yes, If I was in their place I'd rather remain anonymous too, because the project is not on the legal side, it could indicate that they're scamming, but it's not a proof.

Anyways, I like your conspiracy theory, especially when we take into account the reviews on the Mig Switch from known YouTube channels, it would mean that they're all colluding، and the hardware they showcased was just a decoy, a trap! that's some danganronpa shit, it would be interesting though, I appreciate your concern fam. <3

W00fer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anguilla
Moded hardware is shady? Interesting.

Yes, If I was in their place I'd rather remain anonymous too, because the project is not on the legal side, it could indicate that they're scamming, but it's not a proof.

Anyways, I like your conspiracy theory, especially when we take into account the reviews on the Mig Switch from known YouTube channels, it would mean that they're all colluding، and the hardware they showcased was just a decoy, a trap! that's some danganronpa shit, it would be interesting though, I appreciate your concern fam. <3
Prove me otherwise. It's not the first product that never came.
Remember the Cobra Blackfin for Playstation Vita from 2016?

Only reviewers had it. Heavily secured with DRM. No retail units. No solid distribution. Patchable by the manufacturer.

https://www.consolemods.org/wiki/Vi...y did it fail?,sharing library was very small.

The MIG Switch smells a lot like this.

Reactions: Blythe93

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Anyone seen @hexkyz tweet detailing how he thinks Nintendo can detect and track everything the MiG does.
The English is no my native language but on the 20 post thread, He do not say that thing.

He explains how the encryption of the card works and WHY you should no use the certificate of a game to emulate another one. and how big N with the telemetry can detect that.

but if you have a 1:1 copy of a card emulated with a MIG Nintendo can not be able to detect that.

In other words the MIG as stated by the supposedly creators web page, THE DEVICE IS ONLY TO EMULATE YOUR OWN CARDS. Period.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I wonder if it's a good idea to update the Switch firmware to 17.0.1, which will probably be the latest one before MIG Switch (and maybe its future clones) is patched? I don't believe that there's a way to update a Switch to a certain version without installing modchip? I have an OLED which is on a firmware 15.0.0.

Reactions: BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if it's a good idea to update the Switch firmware to 17.0.1, which will probably be the latest one before MIG Switch (and maybe its future clones) is patched? I don't believe that there's a way to update a Switch to a certain version without installing modchip? I have an OLED which is on a firmware 15.0.0.
That is true, because if big N pushes a update that breaks Mig after 17.0.1, you can't just pick your update version with a retail, you must update to the latest. Good thinking.

Reactions: Blythe93

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
That is true, because if big N pushes a update that breaks Mig after 17.0.1, you can't just pick your update version with a retail, you must update to the latest. Good thinking.
Indeed. That's why I'm wondering whether I should bite the bullet and update my patched Switch to 17.0.1 while I still can. My Lite is on 17.0.1 already (updated by mistake few weeks ago).

I can either wait for a 1) proper software exploit for OLED/Lite/V2 models that doesn't require modchip or 2) update to 17.0.1 and wait for MIG Switch clones or a drop in price.
For OLEDs, I'm not sure which was the lowest firmware ever released for them (maybe 13.0.0, based on release date?) but 15.0.0 isn't really one of the lower ones either (I have a Zelda edition OLED).

I'd probably go for a modchip if there was a reputable modchip installer here where I live and be done with it. But I'm also concerned about the quality of those modchips so I don't know. ^^ Decisions, decisions... If only I could buy a couple of spare Switches. :D

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mig Switch has its own firmware that you can update via their website so whatever Nintendo tries to patch out Mig Switch with, they can push back with their own update. It'll be another game of cat and mouse but without drastic changes to hardware, it doesn't seem like Nintendo will be able to fully patch out Mig Switch if this is the case.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Switch gamecarts include firmware updates, so in theory you could update your Switch to a certain firmware version with the Mig Switch.
Ah, that's great to know. My findings were incorrect, then. From what I could find, there was no way to update Switch firmware with cartridge alone, but seeing that it's mentioned here as well, makes things a bit easier.
This site includes the firmware version on the gamecart: https://nswdb.com/
Nice, thanks! Bookmarked for later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol