Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One other thing for people who have no access to CFW is there is no way to get updates onto Switch other than the Nintendo way. This probably means they can't really do much pirating as the cert would be burned if two or more go online at the same time, once the cert is burned there is no way to get updates. Given that many if not most game won't be fully functional without the day 0 patch the market for this device is going to be very small after the initial excitement died.

It is going to be small scale pirating. Kind of like a gaming club sharing game cart kind of thing. Doing it with people you trust but then are you sure you really trust those other kids, one bad apple is going to get the whole club banned.

Only pirate games that are fully functional with 0 updates and turn off wifi when you game is maybe not even 100% safe. Who knows if Nintendo decide to capture data and send when you go online?
gamecarts have updates :huh:

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Flashcart for portable Nintendo console? Can't run homebrew? Main selling point is piracy? This all sounds a bit familiar...
(gateway flashbacks intensifies)

Reactions: BigOnYa

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
But how will it taste?
They are thinking in a vodka flavored and other sweet balaclava
Post automatically merged:

gamecarts have updates :huh:
Theoretically they can, but normally the game cartridges are not updated nor modified after they got out of factory., the updates and DLC are installed on your console.

Last edited by impeeza,
  • Haha
Reactions: Blythe93

miketheadamite

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’ll buy 2 don’t worry
Post automatically merged:

The release of this flashcart, will bring lots of profit from selling the hardware. Big N will also release the new hardware at the end of the year.
Exactly,Id not be surprised if Nintendo was behind the flashcard.

Reactions: tommasi

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Wasn't that autistic kid who leaked GTA6 been doing the same acts. He had no remorse and would return to his crimes the moment he was released. I don't believe this guy is any different, treacherous vandalism.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
saw this 1 online
but i live in the netherlands
doesnt ship to the netherlands
i guess i'll have to wait

Based in the US means it would be shutdown pretty fast if genuine
Pics of modded consoles on their facebook look like they've been taken on a kitchen counter
Site is not even a year old

Highly doubt this is a genuine re-seller. It appears to be 1 hobbyist modding switches on the side and seems too easy to find out who they are meaning Nintendo would be all over them in a second. I could be wrong though...

Reactions: BigOnYa and impeeza

Don Killah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I'm sure we're gonna see most installers/modders selling those. If it's offline only, i'm in.
Edit: Current poll at 4PDA regarding the MIGSwitch, if not too expensive, people might buy one:

What is the maximum maximum price for a new flash cartridge for you?
Any price is acceptable ($200+ or more): 1
No more than $200: 1
No more than $150: 0
No more than $100: 13
No more than $75: 11
No more than $50: 35
No more than $20: 34
Not interested in flash cartridge: 33
I am not sure: 7

Last edited by Don Killah,

Trojaner

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm sure we're gonna see most installers/modders selling those. If it's offline only, i'm in.
Edit: Current poll at 4PDA regarding the MIGSwitch, if not too expensive, people might buy one:

What is the maximum maximum price for a new flash cartridge for you?
Any price is acceptable ($200+ or more): 1
No more than $200: 1
No more than $150: 0
No more than $100: 13
No more than $75: 11
No more than $50: 35
No more than $20: 34
Not interested in flash cartridge: 33
I am not sure: 7

For me it would be clearly 0.
If our Kids want to Mod there Switches i'd prefer to get it Chipped and not a Cardridge.
But good that they don't want it modded.

cainan__c

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
saw this 1 online
but i live in the netherlands
doesnt ship to the netherlands
i guess i'll have to wait
Checked out the website in this screenshot, the item is listed for $65 USD (Aprox. £51, €58) on sale from $75 USD (Aprox. £58, €67)
Good to know if this is the actual price.

Reactions: peteruk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol