Frequent NAND writes

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RepeatingDigits, Jun 6, 2015.

1. RepeatingDigits
    OP

RepeatingDigits GBAtemp Regular

Apr 9, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Should I even be worried about the NAND's life expectancy or I'm just too paranoid?

2. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    You mean you flashing NAND backup using hardmod frequently? Well practically even the console seems to rewrite bits of area on every boot even if you don't install a thing (hence you'll notice that backup size is not always the same). And the emmc has rewrite capacity of a thousand or more I think, also it has the graceful degradation, ie. if a cell on chip about to fail it will automatically write to a spare block and use that location onwards. If you are flashing once or twice a day, it might be okay, but if flashing a dozen times a day then you might reconsider...

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    This is why we have emuNAND. :ninja:

Realistically though, even with years of heavy use, the sys nand should hold up. I think 100,000 read/write cycles is typical so you really shouldn't worry about it unless you want to play 3ds into your 80s.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

The bad news is that other things like buttons/battery/screen/contacts will likely fail long before the nand.

RepeatingDigits likes this.
  4. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I would be more worried about the frequency of opening and closing your 3DS lid.... Everytime you hear that click, thats a microscopic piece of plastic shaved off..... That will wear out long before your NAND chip degrades enough to make your 3DS unbootable! :P