freezing. . . A LOT

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Balrogs.Pain, Jun 12, 2009.

Jun 12, 2009

freezing. . . A LOT by Balrogs.Pain at 2:14 AM (1,792 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Balrogs.Pain
    OP

Member Balrogs.Pain GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, is this normal? for some strange reason, lately my cyclo ds has been freezing, i end up having to turn off my ds and turning back on, only to go back to the normal menu. so i have to actually take the game out, and put it back in about 3 times until it may work again. and its annoying. Anyway to fix this?

2. frantier123

Member frantier123 GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    The only freezing problem I got is with my GTA Chinatown Wars. However, try updating your firmware, or delete the CycloDS folder then let it recreate again. My freezing problem was cured after doing both [​IMG]

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I only had freezing for GTA too and nothing could fix it, so I downloaded the patched version which doesn't freeze.

Your problem sounds more like a MicroSD issue. Reformat and if that doesn't fix it then it's time to get a new one.

4. Slyde1052

Newcomer Slyde1052 Advanced Member

United States
    Make sure you're not accidentally tapping or touching the cart in the console while you're playing. I have big hands and this happens to me more often than I'd like.

5. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    what would be the game that you are trying to play?
    GTA?

6. Balrogs.Pain
    OP

Member Balrogs.Pain GBAtemp Fan

United States
    it'll be any game! thats the weird thing, usually it was only with GTA since well everyone had that issue. but lately its been just freezing randomly. i hope its not a SD card issue, if so, back to 1GB [​IMG]

7. justmike

Member justmike GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Sometimes it plays up.

I usually take it out of the DS and take the SD card out and put it back in again.

If it always happens, you would most likely need to format your card and load everything back up again.

8. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Copy all the files on it to your computer, format the SD card (not quick format. Seriously format it.) Copy the files back to the SD card.

Does the problem persist after you have done this?

9. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Fan

United States
    turn off battery saver. stopped freezing in several games for me that had been giving me trouble.

10. dodol

Member dodol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    for GTA replace only ARM9, don't replace ARM7. no freeze yet (20 hours into the game)

11. DeMoN

United States
    True, but that causes really annoying lag.

Just download the latest beta firmware. It fixes pretty much everything.

12. blainy

Member blainy GBAtemp Fan

Australia

what are you talking about.....quick format is all you need, if you do full format, you do way to much reading/writing to the card as it formats, thus reducing its life span..

13. leiger

Member leiger GBAtemp Regular

Australia

There is no need to format. Simply moving everything off, then back on, will have the same effect as a format for microSD memory (and will use far less write cycles in the process).

14. Panic101

Member Panic101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How To Troubleshoot Your Flashcart:

STEP 1: Make sure you're not using the card reader that comes with the flashcart. Buy your own.
    STEP 2: Check your microSD card for smudges on the contacts. Clean with a QTIP. You can add a bit of alcohol onto the QTIP, if wanted.
    STEP 3: Check your Flashcart for any abrasions or smudges on the contacts. Clean with a QTIP. You can add a bit of alcohol onto the QTIP, if wanted.
    STEP 4: Possibly, your Flashcart is not making perfect contact the DS. Try the "Paper Shim Trick" to close the gap and make the space tighter.
    STEP 5: Copy all of your games and saves off your microsd card to your computer (BACKUP). Download the latest "Panasonic SD Formatter" and do a full format with this application. Install the latest firmware again from a different/reliable site. Then add on your games and saves to the newly formatted card.
    STEP 6: Try another DS.
    STEP 7: Possibly the "GAMES" you have are faulty. You know what to do here...
    STEP 8: If all else fails, get a new Flashcart and/or MicroSD Card.

15. DarkZBoy

Newcomer DarkZBoy Member

Canada
    Format your card, or use the new beta firmware.

1.55 B2 it has fixes for GTA Chinatown Wars, and it stopped freezing for me after that.

16. DeMoN

United States
  17. Fatboy12345236

Member Fatboy12345236 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    It could be the speed of your card at minimum make certain you have a Class 4 or higher (Mines class 6)

18. leiger

Member leiger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    The class refers to the write speed, not the read speed. Because flash carts are generally reading data from the card more than they are writing it, the class doesn't have much of an impact.

Class 2 - 2 Mbps, write speed
    Class 4 - 4 Mbps, write speed
    Class 6 - 6 Mbps, write speed

But I'm not going to argue - I've got a class 6 myself and wouldn't settle for anything less [​IMG] Main difference is when you're moving files onto the microSD with the computer.

Recommend using cf_bench to test the speed of the card. I've heard that some Class 2's perform better than class 6's, depending on manufacturer.