Homebrew Freeshop on 11.8

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking at a bunch of different threads since the update and haven't gotten a straight answer since people are all saying different things.

Some say all FreeShop and stuff isn't working
Some say only Sleep Download is unsafe
Some say playing anything pirated will ban your 3ds
some say stuff you downloaded before the update is safe

What is the final consensus?
Also what is specifically unsafe? Does that mean your switch will get banned from the eshop, making both piracy and legitimately buying games impossible on that system?

Just to be clear, I do not have any pirated games on my 3ds.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same question as the OP and there have been multiple conflicting opinions given so far. I've never used freeshop but have used CFW to convert my cartridges to .cia format. I want to know if playing these games online will result in a ban or if it is just downloading / installing from freeshop that is problematic.

I'll continue to monitor gbatemp until we have a more definitive answer. I'm staying on 11.7 in the meantime.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go look at the Switch scene if you want a good picture of Nintendo's capability of anti-piracy & homebrew detection. If those slew of Switch bans are anything to go by assuming the security measures backported into the 11.8 firmware works just the same as theirs, we are in for one ugly and messy future moving forward for 3DS homebrew scene.
Edit - A probably better source is this thread to do your readings.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Basically, whenever downloading from the CDN, Nintendo gets a copy of the ticket you used. This doesn't affect already-installed games or CIAs installed with FBI, which means playing already-installed games and installing games using FBI is fine. Just do yourself a favor and don't use freeShop.
lG_dvBVRBKCHILXb5I24NStKJ1RwY8K53IP5HmSuFTA.png

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you get banned does that ban you from the eshop too and therefore make freeshop incapable of working?

nintenthUsiast2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was banned before, and Since i don't really play online on my 3ds anymore, if that's all it broke I wouldn't necessarily mind.
that is true, and you can unban yourself either way if you have the right stuff

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yay i just became a "gbatemp regular!"

i personally unlinked my NNID as i still value it

SkillFeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
that is true, and you can unban yourself either way if you have the right stuff

yay i just became a "gbatemp regular!"

i personally unlinked my NNID as i still value it
Is there any tutorial to do that unlinking stuff?

Gesendet von meinem BLA-L29 mit Tapatalk

nintenthUsiast2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any tutorial to do that unlinking stuff?

You can do this (https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage#removing-an-nnid-without-formatting-your-device) but you will need CFW and godmode9, and you should do a NAND backup first BEFORE doing it, just in case.

You can also just format the 3ds / completely delete the NNID but I prefer doing the above, as you can always restore it back by using the NAND backup.

I talked about it with some other people here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/cia-installed-dlc-doesnt-stay-on-my-3ds.512595/#post-8173252

SkillFeed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can do this (https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage#removing-an-nnid-without-formatting-your-device) but you will need CFW and godmode9, and you should do a NAND backup first BEFORE doing it, just in case.

You can also just format the 3ds / completely delete the NNID but I prefer doing the above, as you can always restore it back by using the NAND backup.

I talked about it with some other people here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/cia-installed-dlc-doesnt-stay-on-my-3ds.512595/#post-8173252
Thanks, ill check it out. I have Cfw and everything else installed and do have a backup of my system^^

Edit: BTW, If i do this, will i still be able to use the freeshop, just got confused after reading the tutorial. What will i be able to do and what not without NNID?

Last edited by SkillFeed,
Reactions: nintenthUsiast2

nintenthUsiast2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, ill check it out. I have Cfw and everything else installed and do have a backup of my system^^

Edit: BTW, If i do this, will i still be able to use the freeshop, just got confused after reading the tutorial. What will i be able to do and what not without NNID?

You will still be able to use freeshop. However, you will only completely unlink when you go into the eshop. When that happens, all the stuff on your 3ds that was downloaded from the eshop while you were linked to your NNID (so not from cias or freeshop) will be unplayable (as far as I know) .This includes games and themes. So it is advised that you do save backups of all your games first. Of course, if you do a NAND Backup as I suggested before, you can always restore from it and get all that stuff back k. As for the benefits, well, I guess you are less likely to have your NNID banned...

Think about it before doing it...

You will be able to go on eshop, but it will create a completely new 'eshop account' (not NNID) and it won't let you download games from there without linking to an NNID. I think pretty much everything else is accessible.

Now that I think about it, maybe it WAS better to be linked to an NNID.

Edit: I'm not completely sure what ALL of the benefits and negatives are. Maybe you should do some research or ask someone else first.

Last edited by nintenthUsiast2,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who cares about their 3ds NNID anyways? You don't need it for multiplayer and you can just download everything you bought anyways. The CIA's are out there.

Last edited by isoboy,
Reactions: nintenthUsiast2

hoodhippo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.sciencedaily.com
XP
Country
United States
I understand the basics of every comment in this thread, but just an extra noob question, I didn’t update to 11.8, so am I safe to use freeshop then? Or should I still stick to cia and fbi?

I understand the basics of every comment in this thread, but just an extra noob question, I didn’t update to 11.8, so am I safe to use freeshop then? Or should I still stick to cia and fbi?

More specifically I’m on 11.6.0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/86HNVHp9ts4?si=ZtnzsnhlNxNN-Fnu