WIP Freebird - Switch Clock Speed Control Sysmodule

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by JK_, Feb 5, 2019.

1. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    Just got freebird, now I just need to read up on what over clock options not to use, might use the suggested clock speeds from sys-clk because that one has capped speeds for safety.

2. maddenmike95

maddenmike95 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 26, 2009
    United States
    What would be the ideal settings for Mortal Kombat 11 in docked mode? (For highest FPS and best graphical performance)

3. crow132

crow132 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    Saint Helena
    guess what? mortal kombat 11 plays at 460 mhz in handheld mode, this time is not a first party game... the switch sure is starting to fall a little short..

Clapmaster likes this.
  4. Clapmaster

Clapmaster GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    Playing MK11 handheld with CPU-1020 RAM-1600 and GPU-768. I don't notice much if any resolution or graphics difference from stock clocks but framerate sure does feel a lot smoother.

5. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    It’s pretty interesting as Nintendo is allowing higher clocks in 3rd party games, I don’t have the game to test, a short clip showing the clocks in freebird would be nice :)

6. ZeroFX

ZeroFX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Loving this update, best oc program.

7. crow132

crow132 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    Saint Helena
    any of you guys tested freebird on 8.00? is it known to be working?

8. MK73DS

MK73DS Non-commutative algebra

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    It doesn't work for me

crow132 likes this.
  9. crow132

crow132 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    Saint Helena
    thats a shame

i though so since sys-clk had to be updated

10. AliciaBurrito

AliciaBurrito Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2018
    United States
    Rei's Mommy
    This is not true, at least not anymore. OC instability was an issue on older Atmopshere versions, not an inherent behavior exhibited by games or the system. Update your Atmo or use ReiNX and you will not have OC instability.

I've been doing extensive tests since this utility released, and max available OCs are fully stable. I have been running them exclusively since Freebird released with no issues. For my own sanity regarding battery life I just run a slightly bumped GPU / RAM increase while on handheld, but from testing max available clockspeeds I haven't run into any issues outside of said battery life.

Very few games benefit from underclocking, it's almost not worth bothering. The default clock speeds don't draw much power to begin with and are already fairly low, and underclocking it further will not drain significantly less to appreciably improve battery life in the few games where this would be useful eg. Baba Is You. The biggest power draws that you'll have a better chance of saving power from come from the screen and radio. By the time you'd save power from underclocking, the Switch will be so slow and unresponsive it's not worth bothering.

Keep in mind you don't have any manual control over the voltage, which is a big factor regarding the power draw. We just have to trust that the voltage even drops at all appreciably when underclocking, otherwise now you're Switch is slow while drawing the same amount of power.

Assasin1990 and crow132 like this.
  11. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2008
    United States
    I wonder, if you run this at max OC settings, would games like Fire Emblem Warriors allow you to choose the quality option while in handheld mode?

12. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    No. Clock speeds aren’t the only difference between docked and handheld, games can detect whether you’re in docked or handheld and lock or unlock certain things depending on the state

Assasin1990, crow132 and zergslayer69 like this.
  13. crow132

crow132 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 19, 2016
    Saint Helena
    so, gotta ask... @JK_

any plans on supporting 8.00?

14. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    crow132 likes this.
  15. cucholix

cucholix Banners guy

Jan 17, 2017
    Chile
    Now that's a bold generalization, let's pretend there isn't a lot of 8-16 bit like indie games, ok.

ZachyCatGames likes this.
  16. AliciaBurrito

AliciaBurrito Member

Newcomer
    Sep 8, 2018
    United States
    Rei's Mommy
    Not really. Read the rest of what I wrote.

There's no guarantee that you'll save much power from underclocking in the first place. Airplane Mode + screen brightness will bring you far better, and much more tangible results. Also I specifically called out the example of Baba is You :P

17. JK_
    OP

JK_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 4, 2015
    United States
    Yeah, but it might take a bit. I was working on expanding and improving the IPC stuff when 8.0.0 dropped. So, now I have two things to finish before another release. I guess the good news is that the new IPC server stuff seems to work fine so far, just gotta get some small things worked out.

18. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    I'm unfortunately not able to try this myself for a while, but has anyone tried to scum the lightning dodge game and potentially the chocobo balloon race in Final Fantasy 10 by underclocking the system?

19. ultimatepump

ultimatepump GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2004
    Any updates on SX OS users being able to join the overclock party?

20. tomi1578

tomi1578 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2018
    Israel
    why are you asking here
    we're not tx go ask in their forums