"Free" (Ads) Retro Sega Games on Mobile from Sega Forever

j9AyfHg.png

Sega has announced their brand new "free" (read: ad-filled) "service" Sega Forever, which offers classic Sega games on Android and iOS. Sega Forever will launch tomorrow (the 6/22) with some classic titles like Altered Beast, Sonic The Hedgehog, Comix Zone, Kid Chameleon, and Phantasy Star 2, but also promises games from every Sega console including the SG-1000, Master System, Genesis, and even the Saturn and the Dreamcast. SG-1000 through Genesis games are supposedly going to be emulated, but Saturn and Dreamcast games will be full mobile "ports", meaning we'll finally get some proper Saturn gaming on Android!

Each game also comes with "up-to-date" fetures, like cloud saves, touch controls and leaderboards, and Sega promises to add new games "Every two weeks". If you don't like ads, you can optionally get rid of them for a measily $2 in-app purchase, or you can just deal with the ads and enjoy some free Sega games.

:arrow: Source

This is definitely some interesting news, the fact that Saturn and Dreamcast games may finally be easily playable on mobile devices without having to resort to emulation is pretty great news, and while touch controls are awful in most cases, the fact that these games will feature controller support means we'll have a great way to play those hard-to-emulate games on the go...as long as Sega ports the right ones (Panzer Dragoon series plx).

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I mean, you can somewhat own your very own physical copy of it by making a backup apk and then saving wherever but ain't quite the same.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ohhh shiny!! I wonder how well Dreamcast games will run.
Crazy Taxi Classic is a port of the Dreamcast version already available on Android. It runs wonderfully though depends on the device.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Please tell me there will be controller support on Android devices? Playing these games, esp. Dreamcast, etc is a real beeotch on a touch screen.
Imagine there will be controller support as it should. I have a PS3 DualShock controller that I've been trying to connect but I need to root my phone and there's no one-click solution for it. Damn.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Sonic CD full game is free of charge via Amazon Underground app. Pretty amazing to have the full game for free and without any ads.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine there will be controller support as it should. I have a PS3 DualShock controller that I've been trying to connect but I need to root my phone and there's no one-click solution for it. Damn.

Not to mention, I hope the Megadrive emulation isn't ass like it is in Steam, and yes, the sound emulation is really bad.

Alien Soldier is gravelly/crackling a lot in the music department on Steam. like, it's painful.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Not to mention, I hope the Megadrive emulation isn't ass like it is in Steam, and yes, the sound emulation is really bad.
Played the Sega emulator and others on my Android and they ran flawlessly, the only assery thing about it were the touchscreen controls that I just can't get used to on a game that requires precision.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played the Sega emulator and others on my Android and they ran flawlessly, the only assery thing about it were the touchscreen controls that I just can't get used to on a game that requires precision.

Yes, but I'm not talking about Android iteration, but the Steam Genesis/Megadrive Classics, they use a Jenesis-based emulator, the YM2612 emulation is absolutely horrendous. It makes ATGames' attempt look like real effort, it's bad. I'm more than willing to show my video comparisons. The screams in Streets of Rage 2 and 3 are also off.

Edit: May create a blog/thread comparing it, not sure yet.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Yes, but I'm not talking about Android iteration, but the Steam Genesis/Megadrive Classics, they use a Jenesis-based emulator, the YM2612 emulation is absolutely horrendous. It makes ATGames' attempt look like real effort, it's bad. I'm more than willing to show my video comparisons. The screams in Streets of Rage 2 and 3 are also off.

Edit: May create a blog/thread comparing it, not sure yet.
Hey, you just gave AtGames a reason to brag how they've got a better product than Steam. :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, you just gave AtGames a reason to brag how they've got a better product than Steam. :P

It's true, the audio is that bad in the Steam iteration, it's like the Zsnes of Megadrive emulated sound :lol: I hope this one fares better.

You know it's bad when people with Core I7 processors have issues.

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gaming market is still doomed though because of the incoming Atari box. These companies puny attempts like free to play are no match for the power of the Atari box.

In all seriousness though, looking forward to some portable Dreamcast games!

Reactions: CallmeBerto
S

Saiyan Lusitano

The gaming market is still doomed though because of the incoming Atari box. These companies puny attempts like free to play are no match for the power of the Atari box.

In all seriousness though, looking forward to some portable Dreamcast games!
I'd love Dead or Alive 2 on the go and that's possible with an emulator but phones unrootable are a bit iffy to use controllers.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interested how it will compare to Reicast which already is pretty good at certain DC games
Tell me how good it runs on android? Cause last I checked they stopped updating android port that it was removed from google play.

Anyway, maybe we can get translated games? Never had chance to play saturn games, burning rangers was something people talked about a lot. Now make skies of arcadia in HD like people demanded over dozens of years ago. Also hope the multiplayer games will have online play.

There could be some rare ports. Monster world 4 on PSN was pretty good port, still one of the best Genesis games, Toejam & Earl, another good one. Space harrier, Hang on, Out run, oh, only if there is arcade ports. Might need to get a Nvidia shield portable again and buy a SD card for all that. :P

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ok the ads on crazy taxi are a bit excessive, although I guess that's pretty standard....basically it's an ad every time you restart the level etc

The save state feature on mega drive games require you to watch a full length 30 second ad to both save and load a save state which again is a bit yuk....but again nothing really you wouldn't expect with free games

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1