Fox Engine or Real Life?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Guild McCommunist, Mar 3, 2012.

Mar 3, 2012
  1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    So I saw this interesting article over at Silconera. There was a similar one too (I think at Kotaku) but involving the Source engine. Basically Kojima Productions has been giving these images of their meeting room to applicants. The answer is below in the spoiler (warning: the source also contains the answer).

[​IMG]

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Really shows how far tech is coming. Can't wait for a proper game release with this engine. Perhaps MGS5?

3 people like this.
  2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    That is quite remarkable, I really had to look close to see the sheering on the *** ones and even then I wasn't sure if it's really rendered or did the camera suck.

But still, renders are renders, I'd love to see this runnin' in Real Time, prefferably in a video... please? *winks at Kojima* :creep:

1 person likes this.
  3. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    I really can't call the second one "realistic", the textures on the chairs are not realistic at all.
    It would be more impressive if they were to show a more open world with that engine...

4. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    If you were wondering, here's the images on the Source engine. It's a lot easier to identify which ones which but for a relatively old engine, it's remarkable. WARNING: LARGE AMOUNTS OF IMAGES.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Here's the engine in motion:

[​IMG]

EDIT: The engine also runs on the Vita.

5. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    It was easy for me to tell the difference from just the first picture. No glare on the leftmost poster, middle poster was a bit too focused, and you can't see the dividing lines for the wall panels.

But that's being nitpicky, I can't believe an engine this nice exists. Combine it with LA Noire's face tech... :creep:

6. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    I guessed which was the engine but only from the first image on the right, the edge of the table is obvious imo.
    Really amazing though a full Metal gear game using this will be awesome, and probably take 10 years to create lol.

7. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    Same, it was pretty hard to distinguish but after reading the spoiler it became easier to understand by comparing and seeing stuff that are somewhat missing.

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Good texturing can do a fuckton more to make something look good than a lot of shader work.

9. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I easily identified the engine images. The main giveaway was the posters. The edges were either a bit misshaped (as can be seen in the first image), or they were too damn crisp, as well as the edges being a bit jaggy (such as in the second image). The third image just had a lot wrong with it: pictures, shadows and the TV screen all had problems.

10. thiefb0ss

Member thiefb0ss GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Source Engine was easy, either because it's inferior, or it's because all I play are Source Games.

11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I spotted it on the rather sharp shadows and the backs of the chairs. But still pretty darn impressive.

Also: if given "just" the pictures on the right, I doubt anyone would have guessed it's not a photo.

12. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Probably both. The engine is like 8 years old or something and by today's standards looks rather "crappy". Well, at least a lot of the models from Half Life 2 (which were used), other games have improved on it a lot (Left 4 Dead, Portal 2, etc).

13. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    I thought the spoiler would reveal "both columns are rendered on computer".

The right one have a lot of aliased edges, and the posters are sticked on the wall, missing some shadows and lights reflection/diffusion.
    I guess playing it in realtime looks better.

14. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This worries me.

Hideo Kojima with access to an engine that can imitate realistic environments to an incredible degree? If you thought his games were crazy enough to mess with your view of reality before, imagine what he can do with this!

1 person likes this.