• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Former Japan PM Shinzo Abe assassinated

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you're trying to imply here, but TV news networks aren't the smartest people in the bunch. Anyone with an actual brain knows that if you take away easy access to guns, the rate of shootings and deaths would massively go down, but not completely down to zero since there are folks that are "smart" enough to go around loopholes and get them illegally or make their own (but that's still not close to as often as people easily walking into a store and buy a gun in the US).

In Japan, people can still get "guns", but they have to go through a very heavy multi-step procedural certification to even own/use one. However, the shooter in this case used a homemade gun if you look at actual footage and screenshots and it's not simple to make a gun and the bullets needed, so, again, the rate of shootings and such are still a lot lower than the amount of shootings the US gets.

Plus, this doesn't happen as often as you may think compared to how much shootings happens in the US.

but.. those points dont make sense. the murder rate would actually skyrocket and in fact has in countries like, mexico or el Salvador ( which is number 1 in shootings btw) where citizens can't own guns. Also im pretty sure we are around 18th overall in the world for mass shootings.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check out his gun. It's like something out of Fallout

still fired!

Almost like this will be one of (at most) ten shootings in Japan this year, while the US sees more than that in a weekend. There's a tradeoff to be made between the safety of public figures and the safety of the general public, certainly. Abe's security team clearly wasn't prepared to deal with a shooter.

well that trade off doesn't seem to be working.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so youd rather have thousands of people killed a year than <10? i dont understand you... seems like you just want to derails this thread

no i don't appreciate anyone dying but its like the other person said, its about the trade off. on average about 18K people a year die of gun death, where as over 1 mil are saved in defensive shootings, unless, you'd rather they die?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
well that trade off doesn't seem to be working.
In what sense is it "not working?" There were over 45,000 gun deaths in the US last year, why is any one of their lives worth less than Shinzo Abe's? Like I already said, including Abe, there will be at most 10 gun deaths in Japan this year. The stats are what they are, don't make the man's death political.

Reactions: Cortador

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In what sense is it "not working?" There were over 45,000 gun deaths in the US last year, why is any one of their lives worth less than Shinzo Abe's? Like I already said, including Abe, there will be at most 10 gun deaths in Japan this year. The stats are what they are, don't make the man's death political.

why not, your guy already did, i didnt say they are, you did, the point is, would you prefer the numbers even out, so the 45k more die because they can't defend themselves?

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but.. those points dont make sense. the murder rate would actually skyrocket and in fact has in countries like, mexico or el Salvador ( which is number 1 in shootings btw) where citizens can't own guns. Also im pretty sure we are around 18th overall in the world for mass shootings.
Many of the shootings in Mexico and El Salvador are usually from gang/cartel wars. That's completely different from public mass shootings. Actual public mass shootings in those places are still much lower and less often compared to in the US. You don't hear often about Mexico or El Salvador with mass shootings for a reason.

Sure, the crime rate in Mexico/El Savador is much higher, but the rate of public mass shootings, gun crimes/violence, and normal people's deaths caused by firearms are still much lower than what the US currently has.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just dont UNDERSTAND, i've tried to wrap my brain around this and can't, they tv tells me if guns go away no one will get shot, japan took away all the guns, and someone really important got shot.
No, the tv tells you if guns go away FEWER people will get shot.

Japan took away all the guns, fewer people got shot.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
no i don't appreciate anyone dying but its like the other person said, its about the trade off. on average about 18K people a year die of gun death, where as over 1 mil are saved in defensive shootings, unless, you'd rather they die?
No, if nobody had guns then the "over 1 million" wouldn't even have seen a gun.
The death figures would drop considerably.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with taking away people's gun is that the government will be sure to keep some of their own. Also that does not prevent a person for killing someone via another means, nor does it prevent them from fashioning a gun them selves, such as a pop gun. And if it ain't that, then there is always a black market to get your guns from, like they do now, as criminals are not known to wait through the process of getting a gun legally, and having it tied to their name.

Besides, absolute morons are allowed to drive, and with their cell phones in hand to boot. This has only increased the number of auto accidents and deaths, but we can still buy cars and phones. As a matter of fact the phones are bad for you too, just read the warning policy that comes with them! You are not really supposed to keep them anywhere near your body, let alone your head.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with taking away people's gun is that the government will be sure to keep some of their own. Also that does not prevent a person for killing someone via another means, nor does it prevent them from fashioning a gun them selves, such as a pop gun. And if it ain't that, then there is always a black market to get your guns from, like they do now, as criminals are not known to wait through the process of getting a gun legally, and having it tied to their name.
The question is, do you want more death and have guns just in case your conspiracy theory about the government is true. Or less death?

How much is your conspiracy worth to you in lives?

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, if nobody had guns then the "over 1 million" wouldn't even have seen a gun.
The death figures would drop considerably.

thats not true actually, the 1 million are defensive gun uses for law abiding citizens, if they take the guns away to appease your feelings, they can't defend themselves, but you'd prefer #criminallivesmatter.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thats not true actually, the 1 million are defensive gun uses for law abiding citizens, if they take the guns away to appease your feelings, they can't defend themselves, but you'd prefer #criminallivesmatter.
The only time you need a gun to defend yourself, is if someone else has a gun.

Unless your idea of a good time is using some idiot as target practice (which I think is exactly what is going on).

Gun ownership increases crime.

Mexico is a disingenuous argument. The corruption there means gangs operate quite easily. Owning a gun wouldn't help defend yourself against a cartel.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only time you need a gun to defend yourself, is if someone else has a gun.

Unless your idea of a good time is using some idiot as target practice (which I think is exactly what is going on).

Gun ownership increases crime.

illegal* fixed it for you.

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alot got stabbed though, and yes thats true, but they are lying to you.
More folks have better chances to survive against a knife wielding maniac than a gun wielding maniac.

Anyone can cause a murder with any sort of item they want to use, but the subject of the matter is that actual shootings in Japan are very rare and don't happen as much. Stop trying to bring in other ways that causes murder when we're discussing about the lack of shootings in Japan in general. Stabbings =/= Shootings

It's already a proven point that with proper gun regulations and enforcing them actually heavily decreases the amount of mass shootings and such.

Reactions: KingVamp

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More folks have better chances to survive against a knife wielding maniac than a gun wielding maniac.

Anyone can cause a murder with any sort of item they want to use, but the subject of the matter is that actual shootings in Japan are very rare and don't happen as much. Stop trying to bring in other ways that causes murder when we're discussing about the lack of shootings in Japan in general. Stabbings =/= Shootings

It's already a proven point that with proper gun regulations and enforcing them actually heavily decreases the amount of mass shootings and such.

really? because the most amount of mass shootings this year occurred in california and they are the most strict in the nation.

edit: are you willing to hereby officially confirm, endorse and support the notion that you would rather people get stabbed than defend themselves?

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The question is, do you want more death and have guns just in case your conspiracy theory about the government is true. Or less death?

How much is your conspiracy worth to you in lives?
Given the George Floyd Riots, the recent 4th of July shootings, etc. I think that if we did implement new gun laws, that it should just be to keep them out of the hands of lefties, then I can assure you, gun related deaths will drop substantially.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill