Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hi

i have Wii System menu 4.1U
Homebrew
WBFSManager 3.0
1 TB Western Digital My Book Essentials 1TB External Hard Drive (WDBAAF0010HBK-NESN)

what i would like to do is run Homebrew and use part of dive for WBFS and part for general file storage

myabe 30 GB FAT32
270 GB WBFS
700 GB NTFS

now what i need to know is which program to use to format
so that Homebrew can recognize and run from the FAT32 partition
so NeoGamma or any boot loader can recognize and run from the WBFS partition
so the last partition can be left and used for NTFS file storage

hoping someone can help in any way torn almost all my hair out already!

please and thank you for any ideas in advance

H.K.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
treatscove said:
thank you for the app tip

would you happen to know which partitions should be primary, logical and or active

i have a 4.1E wii softmodded with banerbomb, and i'm using a western digital 500GB external usb drive, the first partition SHOULD be fat32 primary active, the second one Primary too (your wi game partition) formated initialy in Ntfs or Fat32 , so WBFS manager can see its drive letter and format it,
Till here its my config too. which is working flawlessly and pretty fast (76GB fat32, 400GB WBFS), About the third partition in NTFS which you would like to have , i can't see any reason of not creating it as a third partition Logical.only windows should see it and use it.but since i have a bit different configuration i can't be 100% sure about it, if i was in your place i would try the configuration i wrote.
Hope i've been helpfull.

Kinnikuman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey H.K. really quick I think I'm gonna get this http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0315536
to replace my little 8 GB. So will I be able to follow your same partitioning steps for this device you think? I also noticed your device priced much higher than the one I am looking at. Is there any advantage to yours that the above device doesn't have? Thanks for saving me the trouble of making a topic.

dippindivin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
treatscove said:
hi

i have Wii System menu 4.1U
Homebrew
WBFSManager 3.0
1 TB Western Digital My Book Essentials 1TB External Hard Drive (WDBAAF0010HBK-NESN)

what i would like to do is run Homebrew and use part of dive for WBFS and part for general file storage

myabe 30 GB FAT32
270 GB WBFS
700 GB NTFS

now what i need to know is which program to use to format
so that Homebrew can recognize and run from the FAT32 partition
so NeoGamma or any boot loader can recognize and run from the WBFS partition
so the last partition can be left and used for NTFS file storage

hoping someone can help in any way torn almost all my hair out already!

please and thank you for any ideas in advance

If your using Vista or better you can use the default Disk Manager in windows to resize and create partitions. Then you use WBFS to format. It's recommended to use Disk Manager instead of partion magic or 3rd party apps.

H.K.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Kinnikuman said:
Hey H.K. really quick I think I'm gonna get this http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_...duct_id=0315536
to replace my little 8 GB. So will I be able to follow your same partitioning steps for this device you think? I also noticed your device priced much higher than the one I am looking at. Is there any advantage to yours that the above device doesn't have? Thanks for saving me the trouble of making a topic.

Hey
Gbatemp has a very usefull and reliable list of devices that work with wii, you should see it (it helped me a lot) http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...patibility_List.
The partitioning steps should work,(the size of each partition depends on your needs, watch out about the max legimit partition size, see in the link some issues about it).
About the price, not always is a good bargain the cheapest model, there is no sense to buy something cheap if it doesn't work. for example my girlfriend has a Lacie 500GB external Porsche design which had caused me a headache (the famous -1 error). About the size:
i have also a Verbatim 1.5TB that is compatible but it is slow , i've noticed that bigger the disk is, worse the performance is, (it could be even a quality matter).
in conclusion,
1.check the link.
2.buy a quality product that will work and last, if you can afford it, of course.
3.after a lot of reading of gbatemp and some other sites, and as i personally expierienced a 500Gb disk is ideal as a Wii drive, you could never dedicate the time necessary to play 300-400 games loaded in 1TB HDD, besides not all the games are so enjoyable.
Hope you check these things out, or my response is useless.
Good luck

H.K.

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
In fact the WDBAAF5000EBK-N My Book essential is expensive.i don't own it.
i have the WD5000N1U-00 My Book essential older model (blue stripe in front)
and the WD5000C032 My Book essential the oldest model (green circle in front).
you should be able to find one of the two older models at a very good price from a remaining stock at least,(it would be better, if possible, to get the WD5000C032).

Kinnikuman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks a lot H.K. I really appreciate it
Ya and it doesn't seem to hard to get my hands on a WD5000C032.
I'm looking forward to it! I've been using an 8 gig dealy...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1