Formatting SD card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Jazzafrazz, Jan 26, 2011.

Jan 26, 2011

Formatting SD card? by Jazzafrazz at 10:53 PM (1,508 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Jazzafrazz
    OP

Newcomer Jazzafrazz Newbie

United States
    Is it necessary to format the microSDHC card to play games/run homebrew off a flashcart? I just bought this sd card and a DSTWO. I know that you have to format a wii hard drive to a specific file system. Is that the same for sd cards, as in fat32 or ntfs?

2. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    No if your A-DATA card actually works. that card has had some problems before for some people on various cards..

-Qtis

3. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    As said above - No... when you get the card it will already be formatted to either FAT or FAT32 & flashcards will works with that format

In fact, the only time you will need to format the card is if you start having problems with it - in the case of flashcards this could be anything like games 'stuttering', or 'file corrupt' messages you might get from time to time.

Usually we (here @ GBATemp) would recommend using the 'Panasonic Formatter' instead of Windows own format, as it seems that Windows don't follow the proper 'SD Formatting standard' exactly
    (Usually a 'quick format' will cure most problems, but recently I found I had to do a 'Full Format' on one of my cards)

FYI - I've also read it is also a good idea NOT to keep reformatting a microSD card or to even attempt to Defrag it

4. Jazzafrazz
    OP

Newcomer Jazzafrazz Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the replies. I myself have actually heard only positive things about A-DATA until now. [​IMG]