Formatting SD card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Jazzafrazz, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Jazzafrazz
    OP

Jazzafrazz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2011
    United States
    Is it necessary to format the microSDHC card to play games/run homebrew off a flashcart? I just bought this sd card and a DSTWO. I know that you have to format a wii hard drive to a specific file system. Is that the same for sd cards, as in fat32 or ntfs?

2. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    No if your A-DATA card actually works. that card has had some problems before for some people on various cards..

-Qtis

3. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Sep 23, 2006
    Sitting by computer
    As said above - No... when you get the card it will already be formatted to either FAT or FAT32 & flashcards will works with that format

In fact, the only time you will need to format the card is if you start having problems with it - in the case of flashcards this could be anything like games 'stuttering', or 'file corrupt' messages you might get from time to time.

Usually we (here @ GBATemp) would recommend using the 'Panasonic Formatter' instead of Windows own format, as it seems that Windows don't follow the proper 'SD Formatting standard' exactly
    (Usually a 'quick format' will cure most problems, but recently I found I had to do a 'Full Format' on one of my cards)

FYI - I've also read it is also a good idea NOT to keep reformatting a microSD card or to even attempt to Defrag it

4. Jazzafrazz
    OP

Jazzafrazz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2011
    United States
    Thanks for the replies. I myself have actually heard only positive things about A-DATA until now. [​IMG]