a6Wtzyy.png

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Of course, it makes sense that someone with zero understanding of how games are made or function would make that claim.

But the excuse is still complete bullshit.

Not really. For something like the new Assassin's Creed, the amount of time and money it would take to create an entirely new character model, with unique voice acting, animations, etc. isn't worth it for something most people don't give a shit about either way. Plus, it's not as if in co-op, you play as 4 completely unique characters; everyone is just a reskin of the MC, iirc. It'd be like saying Four Swords Adventure is sexist because one of the recolored Links doesn't have breasts.

Besides, it's not like it even matters when a) the franchise has already featured female assassins in multiplayer and single player (Liberation), and b) Assassin's Creed is shit, so who cares anyway?

I'm all for female playable characters and all, but it's kind of ridiculous how the same crowd seems to demand it in every single title. If you can't play a game because of the character's genitals (this goes either way), then the problem isn't with the developer, it's on you.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Not really. For something like the new Assassin's Creed, the amount of time and money it would take to create an entirely new character model, with unique voice acting, animations, etc. isn't worth it for something most people don't give a shit about either way.
[...]
the franchise has already featured female assassins in multiplayer and single player (Liberation)
So you're saying they had the 3D models and the motion capture footage for a female character already? I'm sure the voice acting would have bankrupt them.

But you're right. I have been enlightened. The excuse isn't bullshit, it's the truth. They are being completely honest. It would have cost money to develop more than one character for multiplayer. The real reason Ubisoft didn't add a female character really is the same reason they didn't create different male characters, and that is, "our fans will eat up any half-assed corner-cut bullshit we throw in front of them, and love it". Because why create more than one skin for multiplayer, something no other game developer has any trouble doing, when we can just copy-paste one skin and use the same voice? It's 1985 and we are playing Bomberman, and different colored capes are enough to distinguish them. Why spend any money when we can keep it instead, and people will buy the game regardless? And if they don't, "then the problem isn't with the developer, it's on them".

You know, I would have preferred the usual casual sexism.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's Ubisoft, not Boobiesoft (although boobies do tend to be nice and soft :tpi:).

As for female characters in AssCreed, there's this game called AC:Liberation... You know, that one focused strictly around a strong female lead and people of colour? Feminist Frequency might've missed that release, as it's often the case when something makes the entire argument fall apart. ;O;

Nobody gives a flying fuck who you play as in Multi because gender issues are not exactly the point of that mode. ;O;

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're saying they had the 3D models and the motion capture footage for a female character already? I'm sure the voice acting would have bankrupt them.

Those are entirely different characters with entirely different animations, movesets, etc. So no, they couldn't just do that.

But you're right. I have been enlightened. The excuse isn't bullshit, it's the truth. They are being completely honest. It would have cost money to develop more than one character for multiplayer. The real reason Ubisoft didn't add a female character really is the same reason they didn't create different male characters, and that is, "our fans will eat up any half-assed corner-cut bullshit we throw in front of them, and love it". Because why create more than one skin for multiplayer, something no other game developer has any trouble doing, when we can just copy-paste one skin and use the same voice? It's 1985 and we are playing Bomberman, and different colored capes are enough to distinguish them. Why spend any money when we can keep it instead, and people will buy the game regardless? And if they don't, "then the problem isn't with the developer, it's on them".

You know, I would have preferred the usual casual sexism.

To be fair, with game budgets being as outrageously inflated as they already are, I can't exactly blame Ubisoft for not devoting even more money to motion capture, voice acting, etc. for something that would have no absolutely no effect on the game at all.

But yeah, Assassin's Creed has been shit for a while now and the bottom line, not bottom parts, is the deciding factor here. Yup.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
To be fair, with game budgets being as outrageously inflated as they already are, I can't exactly blame Ubisoft for not devoting even more money to motion capture, voice acting, etc. for something that would have no absolutely no effect on the game at all.
True, why waste money on development when you can spend it on marketing.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, why waste money on development when you can spend it on marketing.

To play the devil's advocate again, at least marketing will actually get more people to buy your game. Including a playable female assassin for one game mode... won't.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
To play the devil's advocate again, at least marketing will actually get more people to buy your game. Including a playable female assassin for one game mode... won't.
I doubt adding an extra character would have cost them their entire marketing budget.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I doubt adding an extra character would have cost them their entire marketing budget.
I don't think it would and I think it was entirely feasible to do so as well. In fact, I think that would go well even with male gamers, as some of them have a tendency to play as female characters simply because watching a lady on-screen is infinitely more enjoyable than watching a burly guy (unless you're gay, of course). That being said, as it's been established, "it would cost money", because we can't pretend it wouldn't. I don't think it would be substantial and I don't think it would affect the sales greatly, but hey.

Feminist Frequency and other such "outlets" would find something to bitch and complain about anyways because it lays in their nature - they post idiotic click bait as a job. If a female assassin character would've been introduced, they would no doubt complain that it's oversexualized. Worse yet, if it was a white female character, they'd immediately ask about female characters of colour. Bottom of the line is that unless you implement a character generator like in Mass Effect, someone will always complain. Actually, I think you could accuse Mass Effect of speciesism if you really wanted to since both Shepherd and Femshep are human.

At the end of the day, those who want to bitch and complain will always find material to bitch and complain about because that's just what they do and we need to get used to it and ignore it because all they really want is attention.

Reactions: Gahars

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When did I say it would? The point was, the money required to implement this alternate character would net Ubisoft a bigger return if put into marketing. A female assassin in one game mode won't drive sales. The people who would "boycott" the game over the lack of that option are few in number and probably weren't going to buy the game to begin with anyway.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
When did I say it would? The point was, the money required to implement this alternate character would net Ubisoft a bigger return if put into marketing.
I would like to see some numbers on that.

The marketing budget for AC3 exceeded $100 million, the budget for AC4 will probably match, if not exceed it. The development budget for AC2 was $24 million, and I very much doubt they quadrupled it for the sequel. The marketing budget is already several times bigger than the entire development budget, and no matter how huge the cost of creating multiple characters for multiplayer, it is a drop in the sea that is the marketing budget, and I doubt that amount will make any difference in sales.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to see some numbers on that.

The marketing budget for AC3 exceeded $100 million, the budget for AC4 will probably match, if not exceed it. The development budget for AC2 was $24 million, and I very much doubt they quadrupled it for the sequel. The marketing budget is already several times bigger than the entire development budget, and no matter how huge the cost of creating multiple characters for multiplayer, it is a drop in the sea that is the marketing budget, and I doubt that amount will make any difference in sales.

There's always more that can be done with marketing, no matter how large the budget may seem. Even if the additional marketing has only a small, marginal impact, that's still greater than whatever the presence of a playable female character in one mode would bring, so of course they're going to go with that.

Even if additional marketing has absolutely no effect whatsoever... the female character would still have absolutely no effect whatsoever. In that case, they might not even bother spending the money at all. In that case, it's a zero-sum game either way, so why bother?

Perhaps they took the required money and, rather than put it into more marketing, invested it elsewhere. Perhaps they put it towards servers, or QA, or put it towards funding other games. There's a million uses for that sort of money, all of them more significant than an additional playable character in a single co-op mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: what's up woke boy