Hardware For PSP 2000/3000 owners who use SDHC cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am only interested in the experiences of those who use micro SDHC cards with psp 2000/3000 please NOT the PSP GO. Sorry it won't help and it will just confuse things.
smile.gif

*Short Version of my question*
For people who have a PSP 2000 or 3000 only who regularly use a micro SDHC in it using an adapter.
Please could you post
What brand pro duo adapter thingy you have.
What SDHC card you have brand, size, (and class if you know it)

Thank you
smile.gif

Long Version
Ok yesterday Sony told me that a psp 3000 could take an M2 in a pro duo adapter. But she sounded like she was getting confused with the GO. So I asked in here and people said no it is only for the GO.

Right so I rang them today and said what had happened and could it be used in a PSP 3000 because the wiki article on it also suggests it may be possible and Sony made the M2 with the intention of it being able to be used in devices which take pro duo cards using their adapter.

Now he checked and said the M2 isn't officially supported for the PSP 3000 , but and this is where it got interesting I asked him about SDHC cards in adapters and he said that they can't officially endorse this. However he said there are other options out there that third parties make that DO work with the PSP 3000. Realising he had to be careful what he said I asked if I was heading in the right direction with SDHC cards and he said yes. He even said it is like controllers there are third party ones and they work fine even though they aren't endorsed. He kept saying look on the internet. And it was made very plain that he was saying they do work if you get a decent quality one.

Anyone posting to tell me off will be given the evil eye. Go and right a blog about it instead
tongue.gif

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The most popular MSD to MSPD adapter is the Photofast CR-5400. A lot of people here have used them and there's been a mixed response, some people love them, some have had negative experiences. I have and it worked well, I was using a 4 GB Sandisk Class 4 which worked ok. But I switched to a Sandisk 4 GB Ultra MSPD ( 30 mbs, Mark 2) which works more efficiently i.e. shit loaded faster.

Personally I would just get a MSPD, the price is pretty reasonable now.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
emigre said:
The most popular MSD to MSPD adapter is the Photofast CR-5400. A lot of people here have used them and there's been a mixed response, some people love them, some have had negative experiences. I have and it worked well, I was using a 4 GB Sandisk Class 4 which worked ok. But I switched to a Sandisk 4 GB Ultra MSPD which works more efficiently i.e. shit loaded faster.
You didn't yell at me! Result!
biggrin.gif
Thank you for posting I really appreciate it. Have you used it with two cards in it?

Is it this one?
http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/1740.../-/Product.html

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah that's the one I have. It works competently. Yeah I tested it out with two MSD cards at a time. It worked fine with 4GB Sandisk Class 4/ 4GB Sandisk Class2 and a 4GB Sandisk Class 2/ 2GB Sandisk combos. But I do notice a better performance in using actual MSPD as things did load better and magicgate support is nice to have.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use this in my 3000
It's works good, but when I used a 16GB microSD, I noticed some slow down
8GB and below works great though
b77e81b0c8a0a0500031d110.L.png

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to say that in my experience with those Memory Card adapters they inevitably lead to problems. Be it file corruption, slow loading times or not being recognised.

I'd stand by a Sandisk Ultra II until my face turns blue.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you all. Please keep them coming. I've put in an order for the CR-5400(just to start with) and I'll probably pop a couple of 16GB SDHC's in it.

More infos please.
bow.gif
I know more people are doing it than this.
wink.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
They often have issues with detection in PSP's and can lead to all sorts of format nightmares and plugin issues. Additionally because of the lack of magic gate support they'll lag on accessing sub directories on the XMB (eg Video). Also since it's functioning as a mini RAID (kinda) if you have issues with one card, or the adapter to card connection, it'll bork everything. That's assuming they don't randomly corrupt on you or die spontaneously.

Sorry to sound negative but i don't like them because they're not reliable....like fake sticks in a way but better because you can take the Micro SD's out and use them for something else.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
I'd like to say that in my experience with those Memory Card adapters they inevitably lead to problems. Be it file corruption, slow loading times or not being recognised.

I'd stand by a Sandisk Ultra II until my face turns blue.

I agree. I am sad when people don't like to listen to us about this.
cry.gif
I always warn people about these adaptors, they NEVER have worked for me or my friends... it's only a matter of time before they mess everything up.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been using an adapter (not a photofast though if I remember correctly) with two 4GB Sandisk MicroSDHC cards since I got my PSP back in March/Early April and have yet to have a single detection issue, game slowdown because of it, or anything of the like. It has all worked spectacularly. I use a 1000 though, and every bit of the memory was brand new upon insertion.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
I've been using an adapter (not a photofast though if I remember correctly) with two 4GB Sandisk MicroSDHC cards since I got my PSP back in March/Early April and have yet to have a single detection issue, game slowdown because of it, or anything of the like. It has all worked spectacularly. I use a 1000 though, and every bit of the memory was brand new upon insertion.

It's the same thing as using micro SD adaptors for EZ Flash IVs; they don't ALWAYS mess up. It just makes the chances higher...

We suggest real, official memory sticks for a reason. I don't wanna debate over this; I am just stating facts. FYI I am glad yours have not had any issues yet. You're one of the few lucky ones
wink.gif
(but don't say we didn't warn you
tpi.gif
)

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, I realized the warnings. I still took the plunge due to not having the cash to support an 8GB Sandisk Pro-Duo at the time, and wanting to use my PSP.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
Thanks Nathan, I appreciate that
smile.gif

Do you know what adapter you have?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Admittedly the CR-5400 tend to work better on the 1000's due to the different memory card connection compared to the 2000's and 3000's.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Photofast adapters are crap. Anyone that has success with one is simply playing russian roulette every time they use it. If you're going to go the 2x 16gb route, you're almost guaranteed to have corruption. 2x 8gb or smaller seems to work better, but it's still slow, and if one corrupts, you lose what's on both.

M2 + adapter works fine by the way.

Use an official pro duo. It's simply not worth it to go the other route. It's not only a waste of money, but when it goes tits up on you, it's a waste of your time too.

Edit: I have 2 -2000s and a Go. Can't stand the original model, so can't I can't speak as to it's success/failure with the third party junk.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a CR-5400 with 2 8GB micro SDHC cards, and it works perfectly for me at the moment anyway. But I realised just after purchasing I could have bought a 16GB M2 and an adapter for slightly less, and it was an official Sony adapter and a SanDisk M2, so it would probably have been reliable. The CR-5400 is noticeably slower than the SanDisk 4GB MS Duo I had previously. But there is also a ton more stuff on it.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
One thing I'm noticing is that on the reviews on Amazon UK people are appearing to get good results so long as they avoid doing certain things like taking the SDHC cards out to access them on a PC. Most of the reviews on that link of yours are positive I found the same on the Amazon UK listings. The other thing is that the build quality is consistent (but not in a good way).
biggrin.gif
They are dirt cheap so there is no loss there. But again people are saying to leave them in the PSP.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The build quality is a bit flimsy, but only when there's no SD card in. Once you get the SD cards in, the adapter seems quite sturdy to me.

Miss Panda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SifJar said:
I have a CR-5400 with 2 8GB micro SDHC cards, and it works perfectly for me at the moment anyway. But I realised just after purchasing I could have bought a 16GB M2 and an adapter for slightly less, and it was an official Sony adapter and a SanDisk M2, so it would probably have been reliable. The CR-5400 is noticeably slower than the SanDisk 4GB MS Duo I had previously. But there is also a ton more stuff on it.
How many games do you have on it? And do you leave it in the PSP all the time. And transfer stuff via a usb between PC and PSP?

QUOTE(SifJar @ Jul 7 2011, 10:54 PM) The build quality is a bit flimsy, but only when there's no SD card in. Once you get the SD cards in, the adapter seems quite sturdy to me.
That is heartening to here. The problem seems to have been with people pulling them in and out all the time. And I don't mind that it won't be as fast. Quite simply having four games on an Pro Duo is not feasible for me. So this is the next best option. I was looking at getting an M2 and adapter as well but the Sony guy was pushing me towards SDHC's. Unofficially of course
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)