Flobots - Fight With Tools

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Been listening to this today (cheers PaperPlane for turning me on to em) and can recommend it to anyone who likes old school positive and intelligent rap/hip hop. When you first hear the first track start you think to yourself "Shit, it's just another Eminem wannabe" but when he starts flowing the vocal sound is the only thing similar.

The album reminds of the days of PE and Disposable Heroes where rap had a message other than rob your neighbour.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree completely. Haven't heard the whole album yet, but what I've heard, I like a lot.

I have to admit, I did have the eminem thought as well, but I got over it pretty quickly.

I like how they're getting back to the message of "Things are pretty messed up, but let's quit bitching and let's go fucking change it."

My tool of a boss comes in singing "No Handlebars" without even the slightest clue what he's singing about. I love it.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Szyslak said:
I agree completely. Haven't heard the whole album yet, but what I've heard, I like a lot.

I have to admit, I did have the eminem thought as well, but I got over it pretty quickly.

I like how they're getting back to the message of "Things are pretty messed up, but let's quit bitching and let's go fucking change it."

My tool of a boss comes in singing "No Handlebars" without even the slightest clue what he's singing about. I love it.

Yeah, the whole Eminem sound nearly put me off but I'm glad I didn't let that first thought put me off cos it's definitely a blinding album. lmao @ your boss, it reminds of alot of the comments on youtube that "I iz OG" rap fans have left, you should read some of them. Makes me laugh, but also makes me sad about the general level of peoples intelligence around the world!
wink.gif

Admittedly I downloaded the album last night but ordered it from Amazon this morning. First rap album in a looooong time that's made me do that. I don't see them getting too much airplay simply cos these days (or at least from what I see) the average rap fan doesn't want a message with his music.

QUOTE(bunnybreaker @ Aug 27 2008, 08:34 PM) Cool, will check 'em out, mi luv le rap.

If you're into real rap then you won't be disappointed. Just remember not to let the fact that he sounds a little Eminem-ish put you off. The lyrics totally remind me of the days of Michael Franti or Chuck D. We definitely need more stuff like this gracing our radio/music tv stations. Saying that though I think most kiddies would go "Wotz dis sheeit, warez da ho's and da drugs. Warez da killingz. Dis toonage ain't da streetz. Best be putting on some Dre bruvv".

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
PaperPlane said:
Are you saying you don't like Eminem though?
I like Eminem
ph34r.gif

No I like Eminem, I've seen him live, he's a talented writer/rapper - when he came out he had a pretty original and comedic style. Most white kids with a mic try to copy him though and it usually they're pretty predictable with it so when I hear Eminem SDHC V-III Upgrade I go right off it.

S

ScuberSteve

Sounds kinda like Fort Minor.
Not a bad thing.

EDIT:
Oh God.
I just heard their "Happy Together" cover.
I am in fucking love.

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Flow and rhyme is kinda awesome, background music (or if you want it that way, beat) is creppy.
I wonder what would happen if you blend in some nu-metal parts in it like the old Linkinpark. That surely could be intresting.
biggrin.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember hearing them on the radio while I was in California (which is notable because I never listen to the radio). Handlebars wasn't a bad song, and this is coming from someone who generally hates most forms of mainstream rap nowadays. You know, shoot cops, pimp hos, slap bitches, etc. At the time, I don't think I would've considered it rap.

Perhaps I shall give them a once-over for listening's sake.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snagging the album. I've been hearing a LOT about Flobots recently. A twitter-friend (DJ Coffman) is doing their art now, and i've been hearing their name a LOT. Bout time i listen to them. I think i'll like em.

skagamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This album rocks, but I have to say...I went to see these guys live and it was BAD. Given the content on this record I expected an awesome performance, but they didn't seem to be into it at all. Sad really... =/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021