Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ace90099 said:
now i have a question about the flatmii, does anyone else get a flatmii development cmd-type window when they try to run GC multirom images? and what is this or what can this be used for?

I don't have this happen, so I'm not sure what that's all about. Maybe it's connected to your Wii being softmodded?

wchill said:
Hmm, would it be possible to daisy-chain a FlatMii with a DriveKey and a Wii disc drive?

Good question. We don't have a Drivekey in for testing yet, but we do have someone lined up to receive one. Somehow I don't think so though. There would be too much conflicting logic as the Wii tried to access the DVD drive. Also, there wouldn't be any room inside the Wii to install both chips. You'd encounter the same problem that I did with the solderless clip + FlatMii, except it would be worse, because the FlatMii and DriveKey look to be about the same size.

QUOTE(jd506 @ Feb 18 2009, 03:42 AM)
Can the FlatMii handle multidisk GC games that don't save before switching?

I don't believe so, no. It's written in their documentation somewhere, but I can't seem to find where again. I think this only affects 1 or 2 games, and they list which games they are, but again, I can't find it.

SSJToo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lilsypha said:
I don't have any wireless USB equipment to test that. I do however have a Cat5e USB extender, and yes it works with that.
smile.gif

Was the Cat5e USB Extender USB1.1 or 2.0? Did you find it caused any slow loading or lag issues running across the extender?

In the review you mentioned "Over a USB 1.1 connection, there was some lag and stuttering, but it was minimal.".
Just wondering if you experienced any of this over the extender as most tend to only transfer at aprox USB1.1 speeds.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SSJToo said:
lilsypha said:
I don't have any wireless USB equipment to test that. I do however have a Cat5e USB extender, and yes it works with that.
smile.gif

Was the Cat5e USB Extender USB1.1 or 2.0? Did you find it caused any slow loading or lag issues running across the extender?

In the review you mentioned "Over a USB 1.1 connection, there was some lag and stuttering, but it was minimal.".
Just wondering if you experienced any of this over the extender as most tend to only transfer at aprox USB1.1 speeds.

I have this extender, which is USB 2.0. No lag. A USB 1.1 extender would cause lag, yes.

kar10

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
squirt1000 said:
Awesome review, Ive been using one since release day and its not failed me once! I found it a little bit fiddly to fit in the correct spot but after that its been a dream to use! Ive got a nice 500gb internal sata drive dedicated to wii games and even when my pc is under heavy load the games dont suffer one bit! Great stuff if you dont mind your wii being next to your PC. Would be awesome if it were developed a bit more to allow loading from external HDD directly connected to the wii though.

It does exactly what it sets about doing and does it perfectly! 10/10 from me
biggrin.gif

Best place to get one?

Sloshy

Trophies
Website
piecesoflint.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
kar10 said:
squirt1000 said:
Awesome review, Ive been using one since release day and its not failed me once! I found it a little bit fiddly to fit in the correct spot but after that its been a dream to use! Ive got a nice 500gb internal sata drive dedicated to wii games and even when my pc is under heavy load the games dont suffer one bit! Great stuff if you dont mind your wii being next to your PC. Would be awesome if it were developed a bit more to allow loading from external HDD directly connected to the wii though.

It does exactly what it sets about doing and does it perfectly! 10/10 from me
biggrin.gif

Best place to get one?
The link in the review seems good; it says around 100, but that's in Australian cash whatever its called, and if you enter the coupon code gbatemp gives at the end of the review you get free shipping (in addition to there being no tax since it's from Australia). So in $ its around 60.

PopSmith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, when I read it was "Plug and Play" I thought for sure I wouldn't have to take apart the Wii to install it.

Oh well, I might buy one if my drive craps out or starts being flaky.

However, if they ever get to where it just plugs into the USB slot and you don't have to take the Wii apart I will pick one up for sure.

Trukkle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
NOD32 antivirus (ESET in specific) is picking up Flatmii v1.0.rar as packed with Win32/Packed.Themida
Themida isn't a virus itself, but it is most often used to conceal things that are. I understand the WiiFlat team want to protect their client from crackers/homebrew alternatives for as long as they can, but I'm not too comfortable with the method.

jd506

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone provide some confirmation about MultiDisc GC games not working,
other than thinking they read something somewhere?

I looked on their site and readme's, I couldn't find anything.

I find it hard shelling out $60+ for something that can't accomplish what free homebrew
will be able to do in a matter of weeks.

Waninkoko's next release will have support for MultiDisc GC games.
Most worthwhile multi-disc titles like Resident Evil do not save before prompting to switch discs.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jd506 said:
Can anyone provide some confirmation about MultiDisc GC games not working,
other than thinking they read something somewhere?

Waninkoko's next release will have support for MultiDisc GC games.
Most worthwhile multi-disc titles like Resident Evil do not save before prompting to switch discs.

I tested Resident Evil, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, and all of them switch just fine. What I was saying was that I remember seeing something in their documentation about not supporting games that didn't save first, but it looks like that's been removed. Considering that the multi disc games work just fine, maybe it was just an early documentation error on their part.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
scognito said:
lilsypha can you please confirm if audio works on 1080 snowboarding? I mean the background music of the first level, not the intro one.
I get no sound, maybe it is a problem of streamed sound games, there is a list here:
http://wiki.nintendo-scene.com/Audio_Fix

Sco

No, currently you need to patch the ISO manually if it has streaming audio. There is some hope that the FlatMii team will incorporate the GameCube audio fix into the next release of their software.

scognito

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lilsypha said:
scognito said:
lilsypha can you please confirm if audio works on 1080 snowboarding? I mean the background music of the first level, not the intro one.
I get no sound, maybe it is a problem of streamed sound games, there is a list here:
http://wiki.nintendo-scene.com/Audio_Fix

Sco

No, currently you need to patch the ISO manually if it has streaming audio. There is some hope that the FlatMii team will incorporate the GameCube audio fix into the next release of their software.

The iso IS patched, is there a way to un-patch it so i can test if it will work?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lilsypha said:
SSJToo said:
lilsypha said:
smile.gif

I have this extender, which is USB 2.0. No lag. A USB 1.1 extender would cause lag, yes.

I did a double take when I saw that the extender costs $450!! At that point I'd be better off just buying a netbook.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@USB extender doubters. The USB spec only allows for very short leads http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5 (also see theory behind twisted pair/UTP leads)

These extenders either act as repeaters (take the signal and send it, boost it down the line and repeat) and the like which means complex signalling hardware or they convert into a more common format (see cat5e cable which is designed for length) which requires complex signal manipulation hardware.
It is also a fairly small market/demand so economics of scale do not really come into play.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
@USB extender doubters. The USB spec only allows for very short leads http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5 (also see theory behind twisted pair/UTP leads)

These extenders either act as repeaters (take the signal and send it, boost it down the line and repeat) and the like which means complex signalling hardware or they convert into a more common format (see cat5e cable which is designed for length) which requires complex signal manipulation hardware.
It is also a fairly small market/demand so economics of scale do not really come into play.

I don't doubt it's very complex and expensive having designed a few high speed circuits in a previous life. I guess I was just more surprised that someone bought this and then used it to test the FlatMii.

I can definitely see scenarios where you'd have to use this extremely expensive type of device though. I've had to deal with some manufacturing equipment that behaves in stupid ways, coupled with stupid people who thought putting the sensor and the receiver 100ft from each other was somehow a good idea.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Don't doubt that it exists, too. That was said jokingly.
wink.gif

But I really find it surprising that this things is so damn expensive. I would've thought that this is some kind of item that's being produced by the millions because everyone wants to have something like that. I sure as hell do. Guess I was wrong there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, LOL. Its very sunny, what are you on about?