Homebrew FlashMe, GBA, DSLite

Carlos_DobleC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes, a somewhat schematic title, I did not know what to write.

I have several doubts and things in mind. The first, as I understand FlashMe was a kind of CFW for NDS that served, in the old flashcards, to not having to use a PassMe. The biggest utility you have today is to skip the screen with health warnings right?

Well, my question is if you could flash something of the style in a DSLite which I plan to remove the top screen (it is broken) to turn it into a kind of GBA Micro (automatic GBA slot loading except if you press the Select button for example).

I know that this can easily be done by simply choosing the option to load the GBA cartridges in the lower screen and loading them automatically, but as I understand if the console runs out of battery it will "be an NDS" and I will have to configure again the automatic loading of the Slot-2.

PS: Is there any other advantage to using FlashMe or any other CFW today?

Last edited by Carlos_DobleC, , Reason: Gramatic fixes (spanish problems)

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want to make a Gba macro. Google that. It’s been around for years. Also, flashme is really only used to skip the health and safety warning. In the DS Lite world, a flashcart is your best option as there isn’t any real cfw for it.

Carlos_DobleC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You want to make a Gba macro. Google that. It’s been around for years. Also, flashme is really only used to skip the health and safety warning. In the DS Lite world, a flashcart is your best option as there isn’t any real cfw for it.

Yes, exact, I saw tutorials on how to make the GBA Macro, now I just want to know if with tools like the ones in the url below there would be some way to create a GBA autoboot (without going through the NDS menu) and that you can start the normal menu by pressing a button such as select during power up

https://github.com/CTurt/CFW-Suite/blob/master/README.md

EDIT: I have never looked for a CFW like Luma to load games, I'm looking for something that gives me the possibility to enter GBA mode directly.

Last edited by Carlos_DobleC,

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading something about the DS Lite needing a connection to the top screen to even boot. I know that the ezflash 3in1 will autoboot, but you need to flash a rom to it first. Maybe the ezflash reform is what you want.

Carlos_DobleC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I remember reading something about the DS Lite needing a connection to the top screen to even boot. I know that the ezflash 3in1 will autoboot, but you need to flash a rom to it first. Maybe the ezflash reform is what you want.

The problem of needing the upper screen is fixed with some electrical resistances. And I do not want a flashcard that does autoboot, what I wanted was a modification of the system (like FlashMe) that instead of loading the menu of nds, directly load the game inserted in slot 2.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The problem of needing the upper screen is fixed with some electrical resistances. And I do not want a flashcard that does autoboot, what I wanted was a modification of the system (like FlashMe) that instead of loading the menu of nds, directly load the game inserted in slot 2.

It certainly sounds like what you want to do is possible.

https://cturt.github.io/ds-cfw.html

You can probably just hack the existing code so it ignores the NVRAM flag and assumes you always want to boot the GBA game on the lower screen.

Last edited by smf,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a "flash this and carry on with life" option? No.

As a fiddle with the firmware and get it done option. Yes.
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dsfirmwareusersettings
64h (scroll down a bit) has the settings. If you hacked the firmware ( https://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/utilities/download-fwunpack-1-0-f33645.html to get around the crypto and compression) to return the value you want rather than pulling from RAM (we do something similar for the force Japanese patches in some games which lock Japanese settings away, albeit for games rather than firmware).

Do you plan to have your DS run out of battery though? That is quite a hard feat. It usually has enough charge to keep settings for a while, even if it can't play games.

As for flashme then I really do like not having the health screen. It can be nice for not having to have signed code (or the recent bypass stuff) when loading wirelessly -- download play occasionally had some interesting modes not in the main game and with a few choice hacks they can be even better. I still use GBA slot carts in DS mode but that is mainly because I like the games I have on them, like the ease of dumping games and saves with it and have the carts available. There is also the protection against bricking software which does not do the rounds and I hate adding it to little lists like this.
For most though it is just the health screen bypass.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I have several doubts and things in mind. The first, as I understand FlashMe was a kind of CFW for NDS that served, in the old flashcards, to not having to use a PassMe. The biggest utility you have today is to skip the screen with health warnings right?
yep, you are right, i suggest the one version with the option to don't autoboot slot 2 as NDS, can be an annoyance if you have a EZ IV or another slot 2 card with NDS mode
the main reason to have it nowadays and i still find it usefull is to remove the health and safety shit
the other 2 reasons were to force the console to load the slot2 as NDS and some brick protetion about a virus (which you will only find if you look for it nowadays and it's even not quite easy to find still available to download)

Well, my question is if you could flash something of the style in a DSLite which I plan to remove the top screen (it is broken) to turn it into a kind of GBA Micro (automatic GBA slot loading except if you press the Select button for example).
you don't need flashme for that, the autoboot option is in the menu of the ds lite
I know that this can easily be done by simply choosing the option to load the GBA cartridges in the lower screen and loading them automatically, but as I understand if the console runs out of battery it will "be an NDS" and I will have to configure again the automatic loading of the Slot-2.
that's not really a bummer, flashme doesn't help you any way with that.. flash me will launch the SLOT 2 AS NDS if detects as nds capable slot 2 card. the autoboot gba thing is configured in the ds menu
and only if your battery goes all way down to it's last leftovers (it never happened to me, very likely happens if you have a bad battery which IMHO if that happens you should seek to replace it) and to configure autoboot you just need to bottom screen actually

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

and that you can start the normal menu by pressing a button such as select during power up
you can, by pressing START, it's in the DS manual, i mean, if you want to open the DS menu without removing the gba\nds card

Last edited by migles,

Carlos_DobleC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thank you very much guys, you have solved all my doubts, now I only need one thing. Do you have any recent version of FlashMe (do not say the 2016, I'm worth with the V8) to send it to me? All official links are down. (I want the version without autoboot flashcard slot2 and no health screen).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much guys, you have solved all my doubts, now I only need one thing. Do you have any recent version of FlashMe (do not say the 2016, I'm worth with the V8) to send it to me? All official links are down. (I want the version without autoboot flashcard slot2 and no health screen).
I'll send you the pack in PM.

Reactions: Carlos_DobleC

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
you can, by pressing START, it's in the DS manual, i mean,
It's not, I actually got my early days of fame by accidentally figuring that out and posting it on the european Club Nintendo VIP forums :D
and holding B instead selects GBA instead of DS if you have both inserted!

if the console runs out of battery it will "be an NDS" and I will have to configure again the automatic loading of the Slot-2.
Not a big deal for the already said reasons, but it's more like "if the battery is removed" - the clock can run for weeks after the battery becomes too low to run the console for more than 5 seconds!

PS: Is there any other advantage to using FlashMe or any other CFW today?
You've already been told 3 and half reasons (optionally skip logo, brick recovery - with supported flashcards and kernels at least, Passme replacement optionally autobooting), the 4th one only applies to models of the original DS made after the invention of the Lite (they have the hardware for variable brightness but it's not controllable in the official firmware)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: though if it s important to go online for a game I would much rather buy it