Flashme for my Phat DS Questions

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Seratonin, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Seratonin
    OP

Seratonin GBAtemp Regular

Jul 14, 2012
    United States
    Allison Park, Pennsylvania
    So I heard all about flashme today. I wanted to know if you guys would recommend using flashme before installing an R4i Gold. How do I install it?

2. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Wrong forum, bro.

3. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    You don't need to. R4i Gold will run perfectly fine out of the box on a DSphat, assuming you downloaded all the proper files you need on it (kernels).

But yes, wrong forum.

4. Seratonin
    OP

Seratonin GBAtemp Regular

Jul 14, 2012
    United States
    Allison Park, Pennsylvania
    Thank you. One last thing, is it possible to brick a DS Lite?

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Modern flash carts don't make any changes to the system itself, they're safe to use.

6. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Newer ones, nope. Nintendo stopped the bricking apps from working. Older Lites, in theory yes, but only if you run a malicious program, which is hard to find even if you want find it, never mind accidentally stumbling upon it. (Same goes for Phats).

7. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Back in the day, you needed flashme in order to boot a DS game from a slot-2 flashcart ( gba port ) without using some sort of passme ( an oversized slot-1 DS cartridge that allowed booting DS code from the GBA port ).
    Nowadays, with plenty of slot-1 cards ( like R4 and such ) there is no need to flash a DS. Mine's still flashed, and I keep it that way solely because it skips the start up screen, other then that, there is no benefit at all.