Flash cart for ds games too many choices

rpaloalto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I bought a new 3ds xl snes edition a few years ago. It's been sitting in the box all this time. Other then turning on to see if it works. I don't want to CFW it. It's for preservation of the 3ds era. I own most of the Nintendo select physical titles. And a few digital eShop games.

For playing ds games.
Looks like GBA temp recommends buying any multi cart. But most on Amazon only show support up to lower firmwares. Not the latest 3ds 11.15... what would I need to do to update one of these cards?

Gba temp also recommends one of the blank flash carts with red pcb boards. Supposedly these are the same as the 208 in one carts. But blank.
If blank how do I set it up? It won't have any firmware or files on it.

Finally I see some recommendations for the r4 clones. As long as it's from R4isdhc dot com dot cn or dot hk it shouldn't have a time bomb.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Looks like GBA temp recommends buying any multi cart. But most on Amazon only show support up to lower firmwares. Not the latest 3ds 11.15... what would I need to do to update one of these cards?
While I can't help you with flashcart choice ("which is best" → causes endless discussions anyway so I'll keep quite), I can answer the one question:
If a flashcart works on firmware version 7.0.0-13, it will work on every newer version as well. Nintendo stopped trying to block them after that version.

Consider getting a DSi XL (very good screens, but of course pixelated at that low res in big size) for playing DS games from TWiLight Menu++

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I can't help you with flashcart choice ("which is best" → causes endless discussions anyway so I'll keep quite), I can answer the one question:
If a flashcart works on firmware version 7.0.0-13, it will work on every newer version as well. Nintendo stopped trying to block them after that version.

Consider getting a DSi XL (very good screens, but of course pixelated at that low res in big size) for playing DS games from TWiLight Menu++
sucks that Nintendo never made a normal ds xl. think the dsi xl is your only choice.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know what you said, but you might want to install CFW and give TWiLight Menu++ a try before buying a DS flashcart. That's your cheapest option (free). Game compatibility is extremely good. CFW will also allow you to play digital 3DS backups, as well as DS backups, which is the best way to do preservation (cartridges will eventually fail).

If you're going to go the DS flashcart route, getting a cheap ntrboot-compatible 3DS flashcart is recommended. You can find a list with prices here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

Just make sure it is compatible with the latest 3DS system version.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one game that doesn't work with twilight menu is golden sun dark dawn. that's the game I test on my ds, since I put twilight menu on there too. it works via the flash cart. it may never work with twilight menu by itself, so do keep in mind those few games. that's the only game I know of that doesn't work, but there are others.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know what you said, but you might want to install CFW and give TWiLight Menu++ a try before buying a DS flashcart. That's your cheapest option (free). Game compatibility is extremely good. CFW will also allow you to play digital 3DS backups, as well as DS backups, which is the best way to do preservation (cartridges will eventually fail).

If you're going to go the DS flashcart route, getting a cheap ntrboot-compatible 3DS flashcart is recommended. You can find a list with prices here: https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

Just make sure it is compatible with the latest 3DS system version.
True… but… I personally wouldn't install CFW on my SNES edition N3DSXL (neither would I insert non-precisely manufacured flashcarts drawing more power than official games). Yes, really being paranoid with this one.

Reactions: rpaloalto

rpaloalto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True… but… I personally wouldn't install CFW on my SNES edition N3DSXL (neither would I insert non-precisely manufacured flashcarts drawing more power than official games). Yes, really being paranoid with this one.
Same that's why this one will never see cfw. Someone is asking over $900 on Amazon for one. I bought mine for retail price. Just after Nintendo Switch was released. Plus used games were cheap at GameStop. You got to remember most kids where selling of the 3ds to get the Nintendo Switch.

So should I skip playing with a flash cart?
I thought they were pretty safe?

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Same that's why this one will never see cfw. Someone is asking over $900 on Amazon for one. I bought mine for retail price. Just after Nintendo Switch was released. Plus used games were cheap at GameStop. You got to remember most kids where selling of the 3ds to get the Nintendo Switch.

So should I skip playing with a flash cart?
I thought they were pretty safe?
They are as far as I know. Never heard of hardware damage myself. CFW is also perfectly safe… and I don't use it on that one.

The DSi is a good alternative as well because of the resolution problem: 2|3DS have to do some upscaling and not everybody likes the result.

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
unless you're extremely unlucky, flashcarts shouldn't damage your hardware beyond repair. However, if you really care about your 3DS being a virgin, I'd also go with getting another 3DS / DSi to mess around with. Your unit never touches anything not legitimate, and besides you're missing out too much by just settling on OFW with flashcarts. Their price has gone down a bunch to a point where we're able to easily get a second unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol