Fixing Animal Crossing New Leaf save files for free

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
[DISCLAIMER: I do not know if this is against the rules. If is it, mods please delete this post]

Some months ago I corrupted my 7 years old Animal Crossing file, from when I was 6. After a lot of intense work, I managed to recover it using a cheat plugin and some techniques. After that, I continued to corrupt my save in different ways (intentionally) and all of them were fixable with my method.

That's where you come in.
Is your savefile corrupted? Does the game crash when Isabelle starts your town? Or it says the save file is not the latest? No problem: post below ur garden.dat or garden_plus.dat file, tell me what is the problem, and I will fix it for you. :D

Last edited by LNLenost,

HoldenWave

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Man, can you please help me out?
I changed the SD card for a newer one and I don´t know what happened but now the game says it's not the latest version.
I wouldn´t mind if it was mine, but it was my girlfriends game... Can you please help me?

Attachments

• garden_plus.rar
    28.1 KB · Views: 8

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Man, can you please help me out?
I changed the SD card for a newer one and I don´t know what happened but now the game says it's not the latest version.
I wouldn´t mind if it was mine, but it was my girlfriends game... Can you please help me?
No problem! I'll try and see what I can do :D
Post automatically merged:

The save file is not corrupted, just need some fixes. Want some free bells?
Also I made some changes (aka filled up catalog and emotions), try loading this in now.
Ofc remove the ".txt" from the file name

Attachments

• garden_plus.dat.txt
    550.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by LNLenost,
Reactions: HoldenWave

HoldenWave

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No problem! I'll try and see what I can do :D

The save file is not corrupted, just need some fixes. Want some free bells?
Also I made some changes (aka filled up catalog and emotions), try loading this in now.
Ofc remove the ".txt" from the file name
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
You saved my life man, I don´t know exactly where I screwed up, but my girlfriend was changing SD cards bc the old one was 4 GB, so I copied her stuff to the new SD and then it failed, she even stopped playing because she had no more memory and she was devastated when she saw her town wasn´t working!
Big scare, ngl.

If I can help you with something I'll be glad, for example I work a lot with PS Vita homebrew, maybe someday I can share some ports/stuff with you!

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
You saved my life man, I don´t know exactly where I screwed up, but my girlfriend was changing SD cards bc the old one was 4 GB, so I copied her stuff to the new SD and then it failed, she even stopped playing because she had no more memory and she was devastated when she saw her town wasn´t working!
Big scare, ngl.

If I can help you with something I'll be glad, for example I work a lot with PS Vita homebrew, maybe someday I can share some ports/stuff with you!
No problem! :D Also I unlocked her all the additional HHD content.
What's your Pretendo fc?

Sadly I do not have a PS Vita, but you can see my other consoles in the signature!

Last edited by LNLenost,

SpaceboyScreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My game crashes whenever I create a second character and Isabelle hands me a map to show me how to get to Nook's. I have moved around a lot of things like buildings, PWP's, etc and wondering if that's what causes this. Is that something you'd be able to help with?

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My game crashes whenever I create a second character and Isabelle hands me a map to show me how to get to Nook's. I have moved around a lot of things like buildings, PWP's, etc and wondering if that's what causes this. Is that something you'd be able to help with?
The buildings were moved using Marc Robledo's save editor right? Try loading in a backup of before you moved the buildings and see if you can create the character.

Not_Available

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hey, here's my .dat file. Since I can't figure out or can't get the garden.dat file I think this is the best I can do right now. Let me know if I can do anything else.

Attachments

• lol.rar
    10.3 KB · Views: 2

Hopelessnoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
[DISCLAIMER: I do not know if this is against the rules. If is it, mods please delete this post]

Some months ago I corrupted my 7 years old Animal Crossing file, from when I was 6. After a lot of intense work, I managed to recover it using a cheat plugin and some techniques. After that, I continued to corrupt my save in different ways (intentionally) and all of them were fixable with my method.

That's where you come in.
Is your savefile corrupted? Does the game crash when Isabelle starts your town? Or it says the save file is not the latest? No problem: post below ur garden.dat or garden_plus.dat file, tell me what is the problem, and I will fix it for you. :D
Hello.. i lost my save file and town because i stupidly formatted my 3ds micro sd card using quick format option on my pc then i remembered that the animal crossing version i have is a digital which means the save file is ON the micro sd (because i have digital version bought from eshop & never owned the physical cartridge).

Anyway, i installed and bought disk drill software license to retrieve the 3ds folders which i think it did a good job at and i got the same folder structure and everything before it was deleted (but i have no way of knowing or testing, i only reaized after i inserted the sd card again in 3ds and noticed everything is different, but by that stage the 3ds created a new folders and all on the memory card which people say gives you much less hope of retrieving original data since it would be overwritten, but when i checked the retrieved dcim folder with disk drill had the old DCIM with all my deleted images restored so im hopeful it did the same for all data and save files without corruption. And i didnt play anything or create a save data as far as i remember after i realized that everything was gone). So when i returned the retrieved data from the pc to the sd card the game still didnt recognize that i had a save file and there was no "continue" option only "start a new game"

I tried hacking 3ds using the cfw which has homebrew/ godmod and all that but i failed to retrieve it because it is very difficult for me to understand it's so complicated and there is much jargon and things that could go wrong and i had never hacked a thing in my life. No matter how much i read i couldnt learn. I barely managed to download the cfw correctly (there was a youtube video i copied all steps in it except the final step which was the finalizing folder the link he used in description for downloading stuff said there was updated finalizing process and i followed what was written in the website, but he ended up having all new apps for hacking after he finalized while i didnt, i had to install something called fbi i think or cia cant remember and barely managed to launch homebrew launcher using download play) . I tried to do one fix which didnt work ( i saw a video of someone deleting a secure value something to unlock the animal crossing save data) which didnt work and i didnt even know if i did it properly the whole thing is so hard. I got frustrated and ended up uninstalling the cfw and do a system format as part of the cfw uninstallation.

Can you retrieve my town for me? I have the entire original 3DS folder retrieved from disk drill which i hope will work. I also have something called Nand back up folder which has 3 files inside it, that the video i followed for hacking and he said it is very important to keep in case of bricking. I read somewhere that people can use the nandback up to decrypt the save file since the encryption keys change after i formatted as part of uninstalling cfw (but i have the backup from before i uninstalled the cfw and before any system format ever). can you do it for me or teach me how to do it (like u are teaching someone who is 5 years old 😭 ? (Im that ignorant when it comes to thesw things). I can also give u both the retrieved 3ds folder and the NANDbackup folder thing. I dont want a hacked console if i can avoid it i just want my town back :,(.

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello.. i lost my save file and town because i stupidly formatted my 3ds micro sd card using quick format option on my pc then i remembered that the animal crossing version i have is a digital which means the save file is ON the micro sd (because i have digital version bought from eshop & never owned the physical cartridge).

Anyway, i installed and bought disk drill software license to retrieve the 3ds folders which i think it did a good job at and i got the same folder structure and everything before it was deleted (but i have no way of knowing or testing, i only reaized after i inserted the sd card again in 3ds and noticed everything is different, but by that stage the 3ds created a new folders and all on the memory card which people say gives you much less hope of retrieving original data since it would be overwritten, but when i checked the retrieved dcim folder with disk drill had the old DCIM with all my deleted images restored so im hopeful it did the same for all data and save files without corruption. And i didnt play anything or create a save data as far as i remember after i realized that everything was gone). So when i returned the retrieved data from the pc to the sd card the game still didnt recognize that i had a save file and there was no "continue" option only "start a new game"

I tried hacking 3ds using the cfw which has homebrew/ godmod and all that but i failed to retrieve it because it is very difficult for me to understand it's so complicated and there is much jargon and things that could go wrong and i had never hacked a thing in my life. No matter how much i read i couldnt learn. I barely managed to download the cfw correctly (there was a youtube video i copied all steps in it except the final step which was the finalizing folder the link he used in description for downloading stuff said there was updated finalizing process and i followed what was written in the website, but he ended up having all new apps for hacking after he finalized while i didnt, i had to install something called fbi i think or cia cant remember and barely managed to launch homebrew launcher using download play) . I tried to do one fix which didnt work ( i saw a video of someone deleting a secure value something to unlock the animal crossing save data) which didnt work and i didnt even know if i did it properly the whole thing is so hard. I got frustrated and ended up uninstalling the cfw and do a system format as part of the cfw uninstallation.

Can you retrieve my town for me? I have the entire original 3DS folder retrieved from disk drill which i hope will work. I also have something called Nand back up folder which has 3 files inside it, that the video i followed for hacking and he said it is very important to keep in case of bricking. I read somewhere that people can use the nandback up to decrypt the save file since the encryption keys change after i formatted as part of uninstalling cfw (but i have the backup from before i uninstalled the cfw and before any system format ever). can you do it for me or teach me how to do it (like u are teaching someone who is 5 years old 😭 ? (Im that ignorant when it comes to thesw things). I can also give u both the retrieved 3ds folder and the NANDbackup folder thing. I dont want a hacked console if i can avoid it i just want my town back :,(.
Hello! Sadly yes, you need a hacked console. Follow precisely the steps at 3ds.hacks.guide (dont worry, I hacked my 3ds when I was 10 so you can understand). Make sure in the SD Card there are the files you recovered via Disk Drill. When the tutorial is finished you should have an application called Universal Updater: open it up and, via the search menu, type "Vapecord". Press A on the icon with Isabelle and download the correct version for your game and region. Now reboot your 3DS. While turning it on, keep SELECT button held. Turn on Enable Game Patching and all the options below that. Click Save And Exit. When you see the HOME Menu, press the following button together: SELECT+L+DOWN. You should see the Rosalina menu. Turn on Plugin Loader. Open Animal Crossing. Follow the steps and backup the save file with whatever name you want. Turn off the 3DS and put the SD Card in your computer. Scroll down and open the Vapecord folder. Now I don't remember exactly in which folder, but at a certain point you'll see a "Save" folder containing you savefile with the name you gave before. Link that file here.

(Sorry if it's so long 😅 this will take u about 1 hour)

I dont want a hacked console if i can avoid it i just want my town back
Well, think about it. You'll get:
- Free games and DLCs
- Online play once again
- Custom themes
- Cheats
- Faster games
- Free StreetPasses
- Translations for Japanese games
- Disabling the shutter cam sound
- And much more!

So, this is something really cool.
Also you couldn't know because you'new (everyone was new once!) but NEVER, NEVER follow YouTube tutorials. The only safe guide to mod your 3DS is the one I linked above .

Last edited by LNLenost,

Hopelessnoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, thanks a lot for the help and the detailed reply!! I've done all the steps until I reached this part where I launched Animal Crossing Welcome Amiibo after enabling Game Patching I got a menu asking me which language do I want to use and I chose English then another menu asked me which version do you want to use? (the options are colorful, lite, luxury, and custom) and that is where I stopped and turned off the console because I don't know what to choose and I don't want to do anything wrong. Can you help me with these steps in more detail? Also, if this works and I did actually manage to get my town back, is there any way to transfer the save file I retrieved to a different/ new 3ds console via the system transfer option in the setting in case I decided I didn't want a modified device?

Hello, thanks a lot for the help and the detailed reply!! I've done all the steps until I reached this part where I launched Animal Crossing Welcome Amiibo after enabling Game Patching I got a menu asking me which language do I want to use and I chose English then another menu asked me which version do you want to use? (the options are colorful, lite, luxury, and custom) and that is where I stopped and turned off the console because I don't know what to choose and I don't want to do anything wrong. Can you help me with these steps in more detail? Also, if this works and I did actually manage to get my town back, is there any way to transfer the save file I retrieved to a different/ new 3ds console via the system transfer option in the setting in case I decided I didn't want a modified device?
And I made sure the data on the SD card was the data I retrieved from Disk Drill like you told me but I used a new a micro SD card 32GB this time around and dumped all the Disk Drill retrieved data on (instead of my old original 4GB micro SD) to avoid an issue I faced the first time I tried to hack my 3ds (at some point during the process the first time around I got an error message that my memory card doesn't have enough space so I had to remove the main 3DS folder until the hacking setup finished downloading whatever it needed to download then I plugged the 3DS folder back in).

This time I didn't get an error and everything worked as intended. But since i formatted my device last time after i uninstalled the custom firmware i read somewhere that that changes the encryption key and makes all the save files unreadable, but i have the previous Backup folder that was inside the gm9 folder from before. will i be needing that, or the hacked software can automatically decrypt the save file? (sorry if the questions sound dumb or irrelevant i just want to make sure everything is done right).

Last edited by Hopelessnoob,

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

And I made sure the data on the SD card was the data I retrieved from Disk Drill like you told me but I used a new a micro SD card 32GB this time around and dumped all the Disk Drill retrieved data on (instead of my old original 4GB micro SD) to avoid an issue I faced the first time I tried to hack my 3ds (at some point during the process the first time around I got an error message that my memory card doesn't have enough space so I had to remove the main 3DS folder until the hacking setup finished downloading whatever it needed to download then I plugged the 3DS folder back in).

This time I didn't get an error and everything worked as intended. But since i formatted my device last time after i uninstalled the custom firmware i read somewhere that that changes the encryption key and makes all the save files unreadable, but i have the previous Backup folder that was inside the gm9 folder from before. will i be needing that, or the hacked software can automatically decrypt the save file? (sorry if the questions sound dumb or irrelevant i just want to make sure everything is done right).
So about the options you can choose whatever you want. It's just for the cheats names.
About system transfer and save files sadly I don't know. Sorry :(

So about the options you can choose whatever you want. It's just for the cheats names.
After you done all the steps link here your .dat file. I'll try and see if it's recoverable.

Hopelessnoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

After you done all the steps link here your .dat file. I'll try and see if it's recoverable.
I chose Lite mode and then it the game started as if there is no save file asking me to "start a new save file" or "move in" or "import town", was i supposed to be able to find my save file at this point? or was i supposed to start a new save file? and how do you mean when you said to follow the steps, back it up and send you the .dat file?
sorry ;_; but i wasnt kidding when i said i am a hopeless hacking noob. I need instructions on the level of >press this and then click that, and that screen that looks like this will appear, or you will find this folder and this setup named etc etc ... otherwise i wouldnt know what to do >.<

I chose Lite mode and then it the game started as if there is no save file asking me to "start a new save file" or "move in" or "import town", was i supposed to be able to find my save file at this point? or was i supposed to start a new save file? and how do you mean when you said to follow the steps, back it up and send you the .dat file?
sorry ;_; but i wasnt kidding when i said i am a hopeless hacking noob. I need instructions on the level of >press this and then click that, and that screen that looks like this will appear, or you will find this folder and this setup named etc etc ... otherwise i wouldnt know what to do >.<
Also when i checked inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder i noticed there are now two folders inside it with long name (made of letters and numbers) instead of just one like before. Im guessing one of them was recreated automatically the moment i inserted my SD card (even tho i copy pasted the old one like you told me). the one on the right that ends with b61f is the old folder (from before the system format) that i retrieved from Disk Drill. The first folder (the one on the left that ends with 1ee71) is the new folder that was created after i formated the 3ds. and everytime i delete it and reinsert the 3ds it would recreate the same folder with same name. shoud l i try to copy paste the folders (title> 00040000> 00198e00> data and content folders) and (Extdata> 00000000> 0000198e>00000000> the 2 files inside 0000001 and 00000002) from the old one into the new one?

Also when i checked inside the "Nintendo 3DS" folder i noticed there are now two folders inside it with long name (made of letters and numbers) instead of just one like before. Im guessing one of them was recreated automatically the moment i inserted my SD card (even tho i copy pasted the old one like you told me). the one on the right that ends with b61f is the old folder (from before the system format) that i retrieved from Disk Drill. The first folder (the one on the left that ends with 1ee71) is the new folder that was created after i formated the 3ds. and everytime i delete it and reinsert the 3ds it would recreate the same folder with same name. shoud l i try to copy paste the folders (title> 00040000> 00198e00> data and content folders) and (Extdata> 00000000> 0000198e>00000000> the 2 files inside 0000001 and 00000002) from the old one into the new one?
I tried with moving only the 00198e00>data>0000001.sav file and the extdata>0000000>0000198e> 00000001 and the two 000002 files (they have no extention strangely enough) from the old folder ending with b61f to the same locations inside the new folder ending with 1ee71. after i did that when i launched animal crossing with or without the vapecord plugin it detected data but told me it is corrupt. I saw this video in youtube titled Tutorial: Animal Crossing New Leaf Recover your Save Data by LetsPlayKeldeo (i cant post the link because new member restrictions), but he didnt explain very well what he did and i dont know what he did that he got an icon of ACNL in his homebrew. he said he put something in the root of his memory card which he will mention in the description but all i found was a website. anyway i tried to back up the "corrupted" save data using the app flag logo (when u open it it says Checkpoint and i read somewhere that this what you use to backup save files) and so i pressed L to backup animal crossing save data but i got error:0xD900458A with the message "failed to open a save archive".

My guess i cant just copy and paste the .sav and the other two files from the old folder before system format to the new folder after system format because of the encryption thing. but if i dont then no files are detected and nothing shows up it just asks me to start a new game ( because after i formatted the system i didnt play anything or start any save files) ! That is why i was asking if there is a way to decrypt a save file using the nand back up thingy. i think i found a guide to it i think but again too complicated >> in gba temp how to extract-and-decrypt-games-nand-backups-and-sd-contents-with-ninfs (cant post the link because of spam policy for new members)

im sooooo sorry for this long post im sure i gave u a headache but im desperate and would relle appreciate any help.

Attachments

• IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1066.JPG
    IMG_1066.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited by Hopelessnoob,

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It didnt work. still says data is corrupt.
Try this:

When it says data is corrupted, press start. This will open vapecord. Then press A, Backup Town, Backup, (not sure these are the exact names but it's clear) choose a name, then enter. Now follow this steps:
Turn off the 3DS and put the SD Card in your computer. Scroll down and open the Vapecord folder. Now I don't remember exactly in which folder, but at a certain point you'll see a "Save" folder containing you savefile with the name you gave before. Link that file here.

Hopelessnoob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try this:

When it says data is corrupted, press start. This will open vapecord. Then press A, Backup Town, Backup, (not sure these are the exact names but it's clear) choose a name, then enter. Now follow this steps:
Turn off the 3DS and put the SD Card in your computer. Scroll down and open the Vapecord folder. Now I don't remember exactly in which folder, but at a certain point you'll see a "Save" folder containing you savefile with the name you gave before. Link that file here.
Hello, after the message of corrupted data appeared in animal crossing i pressed start nothing happened, so i pressed select and then it asked me to make a backup of the town! and so i did and it told me exactly where it saved it in vapecord/USAWA/SAVE/"mybackup name". I called it Old Town and i added some screen shots. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• my old town.zip
    9.7 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: LNLenost

LNLenost

The Console Bricker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey, whenever i try to log in i end up getting that error message, could u try and help me?
Which message, save data is corrupted?

Hey, whenever i try to log in i end up getting that error message, could u try and help me?
Try to see if this modified version of ur save works.
Rename it to garden_plus.dat

Attachments

• garden_plus.dat (1).txt
    550.8 KB · Views: 1

ItzAzalea

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which message, save data is corrupted?

Try to see if this modified version of ur save works.
Rename it to garden_plus.dat
Before you did this it gave the error of save data corruption and now its giving the error of my game not being updated even though it is

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @rqkaiju2, Happy early birthday! :D