Hardware fixed a ps2 in 2018

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i picked up a ps2 from awhile back from a pawn shop in 2016 when the ps4 was keeping me unsatifised so i had to see out a new partner, it was labelled as being refurbished and cleaned out. Whenever i played it, it would overheat or get really hot immediately. fast forward two year laters and i opened it up to clean it myself and when i get down to the chips on the motherboard....

the person had put huge thermal pads on there but he DID NOT REMOVE THE SECOND SIDE OF PLASTIC FILM.

so with thermal pads you get a pad with two sides of plastic film on both sides, much like a screen protector, you remove the second side so it can make a connection with the metal to dissipate heat. I replaced the pad and now it doesnt get hot at all...

Reactions: Hi-Dro

Hi-Dro

Trophies
XP
Country
I recently acquired a PS2 and it was having problems with reading the disks, So I took it apart cleaned and tweaked the laser a touch and now works fine it was also really dirty inside so gave it a nice clean. And a couple of months ago ended up getting a 3.5inch 500gb HardDrive and bought the network adaptor, hacked it with freemcboot. Also playing it through component cables which looks amazing, some games dont support component cables, however their is an application you can install to free mcboot which enables you to play said games. If I remember correctly it even allows you to play psone games with the component cables its pretty awesome.
PS2 Rules
Im just waiting to upgrade my ps4 HD to 1TB so I can use the 500gb HD in my PS3 which I plan to hack and fill with as many ps one games as I can. might leave a few gb for 8/16 bit consoles.

Hi-Dro

Trophies
XP
Country
PS2+Component video cable+Network adapter+IDE2SATA+2TB SSHD+OPL w/ GSM-1080i,mcemu,pademu looks great on my television, and can play with my DualShock3 wirelessly.
Whats mcemu and pademu ? and how do you use DS3 controller ?
Apart from that pretty much have the same setup apart from the smaller size drive.

The PS2 is still really awesome. Mine is right next to my wii and xbox360. I just need to find room to get a crt TV. The PS2 looks kind of bad on my LCD.
Mine is also stood next to my Wii but next to my ps3 which is underneath my snes and dreamcast and next to my PS4.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Whats mcemu and pademu ? and how do you use DS3 controller ?

Mcemu allows you to save memory card data to hard drive, while pademu allows you to use DualShock3 or DualShock4 controller via USB or Bluetooth. If you want to use over Bluetooth, a bluetooth adapter is required.
Check out the latest guides at ps2-home.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2+Component video cable+Network adapter+IDE2SATA+2TB SSHD+OPL w/ GSM-1080i,mcemu,pademu looks great on my television, and can play with my DualShock3 wirelessly.

I recently acquired a PS2 and it was having problems with reading the disks, So I took it apart cleaned and tweaked the laser a touch and now works fine it was also really dirty inside so gave it a nice clean. And a couple of months ago ended up getting a 3.5inch 500gb HardDrive and bought the network adaptor, hacked it with freemcboot. Also playing it through component cables which looks amazing, some games dont support component cables, however their is an application you can install to free mcboot which enables you to play said games. If I remember correctly it even allows you to play psone games with the component cables its pretty awesome.
PS2 Rules
Im just waiting to upgrade my ps4 HD to 1TB so I can use the 500gb HD in my PS3 which I plan to hack and fill with as many ps one games as I can. might leave a few gb for 8/16 bit consoles.

i have a rebug ps3 that plays ps2 but the compatibility isnt as good for my sports games. i set up a free mcboot memory card a very long time ago but at that point i was only using it to play games i never heard of or werent available in my area. ps2 games a decade ago werent easy to find and download either. nowadays things are great with ps2 lol

Hi-Dro

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a rebug ps3 that plays ps2 but the compatibility isnt as good for my sports games. i set up a free mcboot memory card a very long time ago but at that point i was only using it to play games i never heard of or werent available in my area. ps2 games a decade ago werent easy to find and download either. nowadays things are great with ps2 lol

Yeah I know it's amazing, I was still rocking my PS2 right up until halfway through the xbox 360 life, then traded in to get a XB 360, well that was a big mistake got RROD about 3 times over 2 years I finally gave up with MicroShit and bought a Dreamcast and PS2 (mainly for PSX games) and just waited until the PS4 slim came out.
Now All I need is an OG PS 1 then I got the whole family :D
I would also like to add that I've only ever had one PS console across all Gens (including handhelds) break on me over the years (touch wood) and that was a Launch PS2 back when I was about 13 or there abouts.

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know it's amazing, I was still rocking my PS2 right up until halfway through the xbox 360 life, then traded in to get a XB 360, well that was a big mistake got RROD about 3 times over 2 years I finally gave up with MicroShit and bought a Dreamcast and PS2 (mainly for PSX games) and just waited until the PS4 slim came out.
Now All I need is an OG PS 1 then I got the whole family :D
I would also like to add that I've only ever had one PS console across all Gens (including handhelds) break on me over the years (touch wood) and that was a Launch PS2 back when I was about 13 or there abouts.

ive owned every playstation but they started sucking after psv and ps4 (games started to suck, horrible u.i. etc). Made the switch to nintendo and pc but my ps2 and ps3 still gets playtime. even when the ps4 got hacked i had no incentive to buy, it wouldve been a $500 persona5 and Horizon machine

Hi-Dro

Trophies
XP
Country
ive owned every playstation but they started sucking after psv and ps4 (games started to suck, horrible u.i. etc). Made the switch to nintendo and pc but my ps2 and ps3 still gets playtime. even when the ps4 got hacked i had no incentive to buy, it wouldve been a $500 persona5 and Horizon machine

I totally agree with you on that, I buy a game that looks good or has great reviews and after about 5 hrs in I'm board as hell.
The majority of my PS4 collection consists of PS 1 and 2 remasters. I love God of war but I cant get to grips with this new one, wtf is all this using shoulder buttons to fight ? it hurts my damn hands doing it that way, and why can we no longer reconfigure the buttons by our selves like we used to be able to, that was like the main part of the options in any game from ps1 onwards.
The innovations that brought us to this point seem like they are from a bygone era :(

gameboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally agree with you on that, I buy a game that looks good or has great reviews and after about 5 hrs in I'm board as hell.
The majority of my PS4 collection consists of PS 1 and 2 remasters. I love God of war but I cant get to grips with this new one, wtf is all this using shoulder buttons to fight ? it hurts my damn hands doing it that way, and why can we no longer reconfigure the buttons by our selves like we used to be able to, that was like the main part of the options in any game from ps1 onwards.
The innovations that brought us to this point seem like they are from a bygone era :(

i used to go to gamestop and browse and see all the different variety of games, i go now and it the same reskinned franchise games and i feel awkward because im browsing for essentially nothing. even the shooters are bad now LOL, they revolve round microtransactions, i was looking at Destiny1 last weekend thinking 'should i rebuy for $3?' LMFAO same with Modern Warfare2 for ps3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat