ROM Hack [FIX] Pokemon save not compatible error

DrunkenMonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*edit-
Garro posted a simpler solution for digital versions of the games using savedatafiler

Instead of deleting the whole save file you can just go to the save data and press X+R I think? The option that says "delete secure value" and after that inject the save, it works for ORAS at least, so it should work with Animal Crossing.

Cart saves are still totally unknown though it would be great if somebody with the same issue with a retail cart, could backup their save using powersaves and edit the save using a hex editor without changing anything and then just re-import the save and see if it's successful?

Reactions: DSoryu

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm curious to know if this or a variation of this could cause a corruption error message, because my game has been lying around untouched for about a month, but it was working fine last time I used it, and as of today, it is corrupted. Actually, I lie: I tried it two or three weeks ago when the Japanese ORAS Mystery Gift codes were released, just to see if they'd work on my version (an EU copy), but they didn't. Then when I saw that they now will, I went to use them today, and the game came up as corrupted. This is the closest thing I've seen to a possible explanation, but I assume it's not really as close as I think it is (I believe this is more so referring to the digital version where the sync file is used, as opposed to my physical copy). I also assume you need a Gateway or similar so that you can fully decrypt your game.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm curious to know if this or a variation of this could cause a corruption error message, because my game has been lying around untouched for about a month, but it was working fine last time I used it, and as of today, it is corrupted. Actually, I lie: I tried it two or three weeks ago when the Japanese ORAS Mystery Gift codes were released, just to see if they'd work on my version (an EU copy), but they didn't. Then when I saw that they now will, I went to use them today, and the game came up as corrupted. This is the closest thing I've seen to a possible explanation, but I assume it's not really as close as I think it is (I believe this is more so referring to the digital version where the sync file is used, as opposed to my physical copy). I also assume you need a Gateway or similar so that you can fully decrypt your game.

Do you play the game through MT card's classic mode by chance? I ran into this exact same problem when I tried to run my retail copy of Pokémon Y in Gateway mode (I picked up a GW this week, so I figured I had no more need for the MT launcher anymore) yesterday. It's as if MT's classic mode now uses a different save encryption than Gateway in classic mode. When I run my game in MT's classic mode, the save loads perfectly fine. I have yet to find a solution though. I'm afraid I'll have to end up buying an MT card as well to extract my save.. :/

Edit: Wow, I feel foolish. I just needed to rename my self-dumped Y ROM to .3dz. I don't really care about my retail copy now, yay.

DrunkenMonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

There are a few variations on which it can occur, and I've seen a few people with a cart get the same issue - Unfortunately this only works with the digital version, until save decryption/encryption is solved, so the only way you can recover your save is by the same or similar method as the above poster.

However, something you could try if you have a powersaves 3DS (I'm not able to try myself as my OR is a digital copy) you could extract the save, reset your retail cart and essentially just do the exact same thing but without save data filer and restore your save using powersaves. I can't see any reason why it would be different, but then again I can't test it myself - so I wouldn't know.

If you do have a powersaves and you're able to test, please post here or send a message so I can update the thread to include that as an alternative method for retail carts :)

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Do you play the game through MT card's classic mode by chance? I ran into this exact same problem when I tried to run my retail copy of Pokémon Y in Gateway mode (I picked up a GW this week, so I figured I had no more need for the MT launcher anymore) yesterday. It's as if MT's classic mode now uses a different save encryption than Gateway in classic mode. When I run my game in MT's classic mode, the save loads perfectly fine. I have yet to find a solution though. I'm afraid I'll have to end up buying an MT card as well to extract my save.. :/

Edit: Wow, I feel foolish. I just needed to rename my self-dumped Y ROM to .3dz. I don't really care about my retail copy now, yay.

Nope, I'm just running straight sysNAND 9.4 on retail cartridges. Never used any 3DS flash cart. I believe you can use the Gateway to fully decrypt a save, so you might be able to do something there. If you have an unphacked 3DS on 9.0-9.4, then you might be able to dump the save from RAM then just import it into a clean game and fix the encryption. All this is speculation given how I really have no idea what the problem is or how either of those systems work, but it's worth at least looking into.

There are a few variations on which it can occur, and I've seen a few people with a cart get the same issue - Unfortunately this only works with the digital version, until save decryption/encryption is solved, so the only way you can recover your save is by the same or similar method as the above poster.

However, something you could try if you have a powersaves 3DS (I'm not able to try myself as my OR is a digital copy) you could extract the save, reset your retail cart and essentially just do the exact same thing but without save data filer and restore your save using powersaves. I can't see any reason why it would be different, but then again I can't test it myself - so I wouldn't know.

If you do have a powersaves and you're able to test, please post here or send a message so I can update the thread to include that as an alternative method for retail carts :)

I do indeed have Powersaves.

So what I had done was backed up my corrupted save and restored the old one. I did try wiping the cartridge and restoring the corrupted save but it didn't work. I tried using Datel's checksum fixer on the corrupted save and still nothing.

Then, I made a XORpad keystream file for Alpha Sapphire and partially decrypted my save so that it could be viewed in PKHeX. Everything is there and just fine, and the save is the same size, byte for byte, as an uncorrupted save. Using the new web browser exploit, I thought I could just take the save and inject it straight back into my current save. It doesn't work, because as soon as I go into a menu or try to save, the whole game freezes. So I changed my trainer's co-ordinates to match, since I discovered that can't be changed, and still nothing. At this point, I'd have to manually transfer everything over (a pain in the ass and not all of that is simple), or find a way to "uncorrupt" it. Since I have no idea what the problem is, I'm not sure how to fix it. I tried to ask SciresM about it over on ProjectPokemon, but so far, I have yet to get a response. I'm hoping I can find a fairly fool-proof way to fix this so that other people with corrupted saves can recover theirs, too. Still, at least I know the data is still there.

DrunkenMonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*snip*
I do indeed have Powersaves.

So what I had done was backed up my corrupted save and restored the old one. I did try wiping the cartridge and restoring the corrupted save but it didn't work. I tried using Datel's checksum fixer on the corrupted save and still nothing.

Then, I made a XORpad keystream file for Alpha Sapphire and partially decrypted my save so that it could be viewed in PKHeX. Everything is there and just fine, and the save is the same size, byte for byte, as an uncorrupted save. Using the new web browser exploit, I thought I could just take the save and inject it straight back into my current save. It doesn't work, because as soon as I go into a menu or try to save, the whole game freezes. So I changed my trainer's co-ordinates to match, since I discovered that can't be changed, and still nothing. At this point, I'd have to manually transfer everything over (a pain in the ass and not all of that is simple), or find a way to "uncorrupt" it. Since I have no idea what the problem is, I'm not sure how to fix it. I tried to ask SciresM about it over on ProjectPokemon, but so far, I have yet to get a response. I'm hoping I can find a fairly fool-proof way to fix this so that other people with corrupted saves can recover theirs, too. Still, at least I know the data is still there.

With the cart, try delete your save (B + X and Up) then create a new, dump that new save and try alter your old save (still needs to be old one you dumped from powersaves) after your 'old save' is altered, pokemon should accept it again. You may be able to alter it via importing it again and then applying a cheat from powersaves? I'm unsure, but the main part behind it is that the imported save has to be 'modified' after the previous save, so it must have been modified at a newer date.

I've done some playing around with the eshop pokemon omega ruby and it seems very heavily tied to differences from 'modified' times, I tried setting my time on windows to earlier in the day after I had just saved in-game and when I tried to import the save after editing it with my time on windows being earlier than the time I had on my 3ds and saved. Pokemon reported it as corrupted, so there's definitely that aspect at least is a core part of the block.

I believe you could open your encrypted 'old save' in a hex editor and essentially just save the file without editing, that should deal with the 'modified date' of the file.

If you find anything else, please post back.

Thanks.

homigura

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What about animal crossing? I keep getting an error that says that the file (injected) is not the file that was saved the last time.... godofwrath

DrunkenMonk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"
"Cannot use save data because it was not the last data saved. Delete data?"
ps: using .cia version

With the cia versions you must use savedatafiler and select reset factory default on the data, then import your desired one after the fact.

I've not tried with animal crossing, but I'm pretty sure it'd be similar. - I'll do some tests to see if a similar method does work...

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Instead of deleting the whole save file you can just go to the save data and press X+R I think? The option that says "delete secure value" and after that inject the save, it works for ORAS at least, so it should work with Animal Crossing.

so you're saying for ORASXY cia files, simply:

1. delete secure value
2. inject the save

and that's all?

the solution was right there all this time!?

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
so you're saying for ORASXY cia files, simply:

1. delete secure value
2. inject the save

and that's all?

the solution was right there all this time!?

Pretty much, somebody in the 3ds vs cia thread told me that. Feel free to test it out though, (export, save again, inject, should be corrupted, delete secure value, inject again, should work, that's what I did to test if it worked).

Reactions: Queno138

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R+X thing worked for me too! Weird, when I transfer my Pokemon GBAlpha Sapphire save data using savedatafiler I can transfer it between my N3DS and N3DS XL no problem, it was only when I tried to transfer it to my old o3DS that I had to do the R+X thing for it to work.

swiftgallade46

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Sorry to bother you after all this time... I'm just not sure I understand how to follow your directions for fixing this. Where would I go to press X+R and then how does injecting the save work? I would really appreciate any help I had a lot of Shinies and event legends on my old file ;-;

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Sorry to bother you after all this time... I'm just not sure I understand how to follow your directions for fixing this. Where would I go to press X+R and then how does injecting the save work? I would really appreciate any help I had a lot of Shinies and event legends on my old file ;-;
Let me explain in more detail.

You have two important tabs, the user tab, where all your game saves are stored, and the SD tab where your extracted saves are stored (in SD:\savedatafiler). Each tab shows instructions in the top screen.

In general you will be exporting saves from your 3DS to the SD card (This is done with the X button in the user tab). And injecting extracted saves back to the 3DS (Done with A or R+A in the SD tab).

In the case of Pokémon and other games (Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life), there's something called "secure value" that prevents saves from working when the secure value doesn't match the save, if you import an old Pokémon save the secure value will not match and will result in a "Save data is corrupted" when you start the game, to solve this, you have to go to the user tab and locate your Pokémon titleid in the list, in there, the combination of buttons R+X will delete the actual secure value, since the game won't have a secure value it will automatically create one with the actual save.

Long story short, whenever you import your Pokemon saves you have to make sure to delete the secure value. This post was very old actually, right now there's another application called JKSaveManager which does this automatically.

swiftgallade46

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let me explain in more detail.

You have two important tabs, the user tab, where all your game saves are stored, and the SD tab where your extracted saves are stored (in SD:\savedatafiler). Each tab shows instructions in the top screen.

In general you will be exporting saves from your 3DS to the SD card (This is done with the X button in the user tab). And injecting extracted saves back to the 3DS (Done with A or R+A in the SD tab).

In the case of Pokémon and other games (Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Life), there's something called "secure value" that prevents saves from working when the secure value doesn't match the save, if you import an old Pokémon save the secure value will not match and will result in a "Save data is corrupted" when you start the game, to solve this, you have to go to the user tab and locate your Pokémon titleid in the list, in there, the combination of buttons R+X will delete the actual secure value, since the game won't have a secure value it will automatically create one with the actual save.

Long story short, whenever you import your Pokemon saves you have to make sure to delete the secure value. This post was very old actually, right now there's another application called JKSaveManager which does this automatically.

Thank you for the speedy reply! =D Just one more question though, where/with what am I pulling up these tabs? Is it just when I put my SD Card into the port on my laptop or is there a specific program you are using or does it have something to do with homebrew or what?

Garro

Pendulum of souls!
Trophies
Website
garrothedog.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Chile
Thank you for the speedy reply! =D Just one more question though, where/with what am I pulling up these tabs? Is it just when I put my SD Card into the port on my laptop or is there a specific program you are using or does it have something to do with homebrew or what?
It's an application named SaveDataFiler, it's a CIA exclusive program you need to install using a CIA manager (BigBlueMenu, FBI, NASA, Devmenu, etc.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you @Xdqwerty