Hacking First Time on my 3DS in almost 2 years... need a little catching up

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just curious, how is the free cfw better than gw's cfw?
gw has the best cheat system, real time cheat search etc.
they both pirate games so, what else do you think there is?
language emulation? gw can do this, luma too now.
  • biggest point is that free and open source custom firmware don't require you have a certain card inserted in the console to boot. it's free to use, compared to having to spend like $80 or so to get an extra card.
  • Gateway's cheat function is actually pretty good compared to NTR I hear, so I'll agree with you on this. NTR cheating isn't really that good.
  • sure both enable piracy, but I would argue that ticket installation and CDN downloads are making it easier to pirate than getting .3ds ROMs and putting them on a microsd and using with Gateway/Sky3DS. I've got a Sky3DS but it's become easier to just install from CDN unless I really want to save space using ROMs on my Sky3DS+.
  • I've never heard of Gateway having region/language emulation. Luma3DS has this feature built in. with NTR CFW's developer ceasing development, this is an even bigger point.

Last edited by ihaveahax,

Ichigo1000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Brickway. There have been many reports of bricks due to gateways new a9lh method that makes us doubt trust with gateway anymore. (Not mentioning intentional bricks :rofl2:)

And also. Because it's free.

Last edited by Ichigo1000,

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because Brickway. There have been many reports of bricks due to gateways new a9lh method that makes us doubt trust with gateway anymore. (Not mentioning intentional bricks :rofl2:)

Dude... it's just an alpha. The whole point of it is to allow the team to locate bugs and verify what it is they need to improve on. Even at that, the build was not supposed to be released to the general public in the first place.

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dude... it's just an alpha. The whole point of it is to allow the team to locate bugs and verify what it is they need to improve on. Even at that, the build was not supposed to be released to the general public in the first place.
And the problem is a hardmod won't even work with a brick caused by Gateway.

Ichigo1000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that Soon tm became a meme is more than enough a reason to say cfw is superior.

Gateway is basically copying the already existing method of installing a9lh. Gateway users would have to wait ages to be up to date with cfw users.

CFW can do anything gateway can, more and better.

Last edited by Ichigo1000,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, Gateway CFW doesn't allow GBA games. But he was probably thinking of having a better exploit/boot (a9lh vs menuhax) than a better CFW.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
the people who have bricked are a such a small number, people have bricked trying a9lh or stuff before that. but yes, the brick code was a bit dangerous but it seems gw made it more solid now :) and yeah, i'm just hoping that we get a nice launchable payload .bin for gw, somehow...
the price doesn't matter because the op already has gw...
  • biggest point is that free and open source custom firmware don't require you have a certain card inserted in the console to boot. it's free to use, compared to having to spend like $80 or so to get an extra card.
  • Gateway's cheat function is actually pretty good compared to NTR I hear, so I'll agree with you on this. NTR cheating isn't really that good.
  • sure both enable piracy, but I would argue that ticket installation and CDN downloads are making it easier to pirate than getting .3ds ROMs and putting them on a microsd and using with Gateway/Sky3DS. I've got a Sky3DS but it's become easier to just install from CDN unless I really want to save space using ROMs on my Sky3DS+.
  • I've never heard of Gateway having region/language emulation. Luma3DS has this feature built in. with NTR CFW's developer ceasing development, this is an even bigger point.
yeah but if you already have gw because you bought it a few years ago, that's different. i agree, i probably wouldn't buy it today - but because i already have it i can enjoy it :)
yeah gw has has language emulation for a while now, before luma/aureinand, i forget if it did it before ntr or not, i'm not too sure, i think ntr was first...?
anyway, it's not about who did it first anyway :D

Well, Gateway CFW doesn't allow GBA games. But he was probably thinking of having a better exploit/boot (a9lh vs menuhax) than a better CFW.
oh yeah, you are right i forgot - that is definitely a con of gw, no gba/dsiware :( - i personally use emulation for gba games, but if you have gw it's still possible to use another cfws. i wish gw did add gba/dsiware though...

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah but if you already have gw because you bought it a few years ago, that's different. i agree, i probably wouldn't buy it today - but because i already have it i can enjoy it :)
yeah gw has has language emulation for a while now, before luma/aureinand, i forget if it did it before ntr or not, i'm not too sure, i think ntr was first...?
anyway, it's not about who did it first anyway :D
I'm not saying people should throw their Gateway cards out (though honestly with these recent things by GW, it's kind of stretching it for me, but we'll see what happens in the future); if it works for you go ahead. but there's really no reason for anyone new to the scene to get a card when they can do pretty much everything without Gateway.

and how does this "region/language emulation" work with GW?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I'm not saying people should throw their Gateway cards out (though honestly with these recent things by GW, it's kind of stretching it for me, but we'll see what happens in the future); if it works for you go ahead. but there's really no reason for anyone new to the scene to get a card when they can do pretty much everything without Gateway.
and how does this "region/language emulation" work with GW?
i mean, why throw out my gw? i can use it to play games really easily through the gw card and have the best cheats. i could sell it but it's not in much need now since there is free cfw.
but sure i don't want to limit myself, so i also use a9lh/nice luma cfw, because it's cool too.

for gw, if you press up on the rom selection menu and select the language you want to 'spoof' :)

Reactions: ihaveahax

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mean, why throw out my gw? i can use it to play games really easily through the gw card and have the best cheats. i could sell it but it's not in much need now since there is free cfw.
but sure i don't want to limit myself, so i also use a9lh/nice luma cfw, because it's cool too.

for gw, if you press up on the rom selection menu and select the language you want to 'spoof' :)
well I've obviously never used GW so I wouldn't know about their langemu stuff

as for cheats, well it probably will be the only good method for now given that NTR CFW is no longer in active development.

other than that, I'm not so sure anymore about just throwing ROMs onto an SD card and playing them being the most convenient method, since ticket/CDN stuff is making that much easier. but whatever works for you I guess.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
well I've obviously never used GW so I wouldn't know about their langemu stuff

as for cheats, well it probably will be the only good method for now given that NTR CFW is no longer in active development.

other than that, I'm not so sure anymore about just throwing ROMs onto an SD card and playing them being the most convenient method, since ticket/CDN stuff is making that much easier. but whatever works for you I guess.
Not everything is be available by tickets, and the cheat system is way better than NTR (until you try both you won't realise just how much better). And there's the remotest of remote chances they might still deliver on their expectation of creating an easy way to downgrade & install a9lh without the final product being dependent on a GW card (meaning I could use my GW card to install a9lh for friends & family). I'd rather not get the $40 max or so I'd get for the card, and instead keep the hope fire burning.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everything is be available by tickets, and the cheat system is way better than NTR (until you try both you won't realise just how much better). And there's the remotest of remote chances they might still deliver on their expectation of creating an easy way to downgrade & install a9lh without the final product being dependent on a GW card (meaning I could use my GW card to install a9lh for friends & family). I'd rather not get the $40 max or so I'd get for the card, and instead keep the hope fire burning.
I don't really use cheats so, not that much for me. but I do know that GW's cheats are much better basically because everyone says it :P

I feel most things are available by tickets/titlekey now, it's probably older/more obscure stuff that wouldn't have a ticket/titlekey up somewhere (or be for sale on the eShop at all). 3DS/CIA conversion is always there if only a ROM is available.

I'm not too hopeful about their downgrading/arm9loaderhax tools with it cutting corners and things if the recent private beta is anything to go by, like directly downgrading Old3DS SysNAND to 2.1. of course it is just a beta and I'm interested to see what their next beta/release has in store (even if I'm not a GW user).

Reactions: Quantumcat

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people just like to hate gateway....they are like the Justin Beiber of the 3DS scene....people will just look for reasons to join the collective "i hate them too, so im a cool kid just like you " bandwagon

Some people fans of profiteering from piracy (one of the reasons some refuse to get a DS flash cart).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Some people fans of profiteering from piracy (one of the reasons some refuse to get a DS flash cart).
But nobody truely cares if/why people dont like gateway.

You know that guy who always goes on how he hates justin bieber, and justin bieber should die, and how anyone who likes him m should die.......thats how half the people on here come across, sure you do t have to like him, you can even hate him and all his songs, but please just talk about something else....anything else....we all get it it, you dont like JB can we move on?

Kibido

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't GBA games work with the blue card? It's been a year since I've used that thing though, does it not work anymore?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.