First Time CFW User

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Djay187, Apr 24, 2010.

Apr 24, 2010

First Time CFW User by Djay187 at 2:01 PM (2,187 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. Djay187
    OP

Member Djay187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    OK, I've had a PSP1000 for years so I finally decided to put some CFW on my PSP. Where I've been using flash cards on my DS I assumed you needed the latest firmware for game compatibility and so on so I put 5.50GEN-D3 on my PSP.
    Now I've had no problems with the PSP games, everyone I've tried works, even the newest but my problem is what do I do with PS1 games, I've tried PSX2PSP with PS1 ISO's (not retail, downloaded) all I get is a black screen and I just can't get my head around Popsloader.
    Hope no thinks I'm being lazy starting a new topic but I've gone through this forum and Google and I just can't get my head around it, I'm totally stuck.
    So any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Edit- Sorry I should have put 'Needed' in the title.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Which PS1 games?

3. Djay187
    OP

United Kingdom
    So far Vagrant story.

Edit- Maybe I'm an idiot, just tried Resident Evil and started straight away, must be a compatibility issue with V.S, I thought checked and it was supposed to be compatible. Anyway I'll try some more, sorry for being a noob.

4. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    You're going to need to either: Use Popsloader (really not that hard) or get the PSN version of Vagrant Story. Whichever you prefer is easiest really, although at some point in the future you may find that you want to set up popsloader for other PSX games.

5. Djay187
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah it's Popsloader I wanna get sorted but the instructions I've got a really dodgy and don't make sense, so any help with that would be really appreciated.

6. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
  7. Djay187
    OP

United Kingdom
    So do I need a different firmware and if I do that how's compatibility with the newer PSP games.

8. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    There is popsloader for GEN, it just doesn't work as well as it does on M33.

9. Djay187
    OP

United Kingdom
    So when I download Popsloader I get folder with seplugins and inside that there's a folder called Popsloader with a prx file, I put this in seplugins yeah then what.

Edit- I think I've found another topic on my problem so I'm gonna check that out, I think I've been doing everything wrong, thanks for all your input.

10. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    Just wondering, but where exactly are you putting your PSX Eboot.PBP files? They belong in the X:/PSP/GAME/(PS1 game name).

11. xist

United Kingdom
    Obviously in the right place...this is a pops issue, and Djay needs to use an earlier version...i think i used 3.72 but it may have been 3.40 (was playing RE3 at the time i tested).

12. Djay187
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah I,ve been putting them in the PSP/games folder. I've managed to get a couple more to work, Xenogears being one. All I've been doing is using PSX2PSP and putting the resulting folder in the games folder, I only wanna play a couple PS1 games so I don't want loads of hassle, I just don't understand all this POPS thing, I even followed this step by step quide with POPSLoader and still couldn't get it to work, I'm not normally a moron when it comes to this sort of thing.
    Anyway I've still got the PSP library to work through yet so it's not a big deal.

13. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    See, when a PSX game runs, it runs off the current Pops your PSP has. Some games, however, run only on older pops versions. This is where Popsloader comes up, it allows you to pick which pops version you want to run it with.
    Mine runs on 5.03 GEN-C, so if you want it, I could upload it for you. You do know how to enable plugins, right? If not, I could just make it an "extract in root" archive.

14. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
  15. Djay187
    OP

United Kingdom
    Cheers Jolan, yeah I just don't seem to have a clue how this Pops thing works, I tried using that PSARDumper but it failed saying it couldn't find the EBoot at root. So any help would great, I've got 5.50 GEN-D3 does this matter and if I put back to 5.03 GEN-C say will this affect any new PSP games.
    I don't know if I'm going about this all wrong so anything you could do for me would be a real help.

16. xist

United Kingdom
    Nope...going to 5.03 GEN-C would be a retrograde step.

...the full popsloader pack contains copyrighted components so no one can link you to it. However, if you google popsloader for Gen you're sure to find a result which is about 12Mb in size. That's what you're looking for.

Once you have that it'll probably be a seplugins folder with a folder and files inside (lots of prx's). If you place that seplugins folder in the root of your MS, and then go to the recovery menu and enable the popsloader plugin you should be golden.

17. Djay187
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah I've managed to this, finally managed to enable the plugin in the recovery menu. Ok now for the total noob bit, what do I do with the PS1 ISO'S now?

18. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    You convert the ISO to eboots. Theres a thread stickied on this section. Read it.

19. Djay187
    OP

United Kingdom
    Cool, that's what I was doing, just checking. But where do I choose what pops to use. Sorry about all this.

20. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    What is a torrent? Anyway, once you run your PS1 game a black screen with POP's versions ranging from 3.4 to 4.01 or (something along those lines should come up) then you select the version that has the best compatibility for your game. If you mess up, restart the game, and hold R while it's loading to pull up the POP's selection again.

The screen should be very much like this... [​IMG] Anyway, if pops is enabled you should come across something like that upon loading the PS1 game (eboot). If you don't then I'd, personally try restarting the game while holding R, and seeing if that changes anything. Hope this has helped some.