Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
gallery_123159_43_55332.jpg

Online retailer shopto has put up a Wii U section in its store giving us a hint at what Nintendo's new system may retail at. Online retailers have previously listed the Wii U in their catalogues, but the prices listed have merely been placeholder prices, far exceeding the expected RRP of the system.

They list both white and black versions of the Wii U console for £279.85, roughly $435 USD. And they also list various anticipated launch titles such such as Pikmin 3, Mass Effect 3, Zombie U and NSMB U all for £39.85 each, which is approximately $60.00 USD. Setting the cost of Wii U games at the same level as those of current gen systems.

:arrow: ShopTo store page Sauce

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Much better than ps3's launch price. *shudders*
I guarantee it will drop to £200 in a few months after launch.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think this is just a placeholder/preorder price, until they get the official MSRP. Didn't one online store have the 3DS price at $1000 or something like that?

Anyway, if this is the real price, £280 is the UK (European) price. £280 is around 350 Euro, so that means it will sell for $350 in the US. $350 is not bad.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
funny. i've seen rumors of pricing at $300.

in addition, nintendo ead manager katsuya eguchi is on record as being careful with how it's priced.

Katsuya Eguchi said:
Well, considering the tech packed into the console and the GamePad, we're considering a lot of options regarding price. But I don't want you to misunderstand; we're really not out to profit selling this hardware. That being said, I really don't know this is something we would sell at a loss. We'd like to avoid taking a loss on the hardware, so we're gonna be seriously considering how its priced.

also, we already know that converting across currencies for a USD price is never a good idea, considering it rarely comes out to the price said product ends up being in USD.

Mirby

BDFF Hype~ :3
Trophies
Website
mirbystudios.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
499 US Dollars :(

something to note. miyamoto has said that sony should've learned from the 3ds's relatively failed launch when launching the vita. since this is true, i'm sure nintendo has learned not to price anything that high judging from the reaction at the ps3's initial price point.

Thulinma

Computer Magician
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.thulinma.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just pointing out that in the past, European prices for Nintendo products have been pretty much the same as the USA prices with simply the coin changed to euros - not the amount.
For example, the Wii launced for 250 dollars and 250 euros (so, yes, the Wii cost 330 dollars here, converted, at launch).
The UK price which is what seems to be hinted at here, has always been slightly lower - the Wii launched in the UK for 180 pounds (an 0.72 ratio).

So *if* this listed price is correct (which is doubtful, since AFAIK no pricing information has been made available at all yet to anyone...) that would mean around 390 dollars/euros - not 435. Not much of an improvement - but still, that's a whole extra game :-)

More likely is that the store just guessed a price based on the current gen prices. Keeping in mind Nintendo's previous hardware choices, ~400 would be very... excessive.

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
300 is semi reasonable but I still don't think it's likely I'll be getting one. I'm not impressed with the tech or the line up. Buying a launch wii was a big blunder for me whereas buying a ps2 and a ps3 late into their lives was great because everything was cheap and I could cherry pick. Midlife crises consoles or PCs never disappoint.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM