Hacking Firmware 4.2 going to overwrite boot2

GurliGebis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've read on another forum, that the 4.2 firmware has been changed, so it no longer overwrites boot2.

Can somebody here confirm that?

GurliGebis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, well, off to update my Wii then. (Been waiting for an excuse to do it, to get a NAND dump of my wii without softmod) :-)

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
HOOLD ON.

i never heard that... dont u go doing something just cause one person says yes.

do not do it. I haven't heard anything of this so I would assume nothing has changed.

ante80

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you're on boot2v3 or lower you will still get the update.

Many people have been testing with the new system menu, and then been using old NAND backup to restore pre 4.2 system again.
But the first time they did the original 4.2 upgrade they got boot2v4 which erased any bootmii. Afterwards installing bootmii on boot2 again.

Now they have bootmii on boot2v4 and do NAND restore, it restores everything except boot2, so it will still be v4.
From now on every time they do an upgrade to 4.2 the bootmii installation will be untouched. Thats why some can be tricked in believing that the firmware is changed.

Hard to explain in good english....
Hope you understand it.

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Basically it comes down to that some people think boot2 is untouched, just because it doesn't touch boot2 if it's already boot2v4. That combined with some people not realising they already have boot2v4 causes this 'confusion'.

So, nintendo update will still touch boot2 if you have boot2v3 or below. So be very very carefull... do not install it unless you really really need to (can't think of any reason). Just use the 4.2 safe update guide on this forum instead.

PS: I am by the way still wondering if there's any more details on how exactly this nintendo boot2 update code is buggy and what exactly will lower or raise the chances of bricking when using it. Also I'm wondering what the difference between these boot2 versions is and how it effects a wii exactly. Just out of interest.

GurliGebis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since Hackmii uses a safer way to install BootMii into boot2, it must be possible to do.

So, do you think they would/could release a tool to update it more safely, so further updates won't touch it (because it already is v4)?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GurliGebis said:
Slowking > Do you have a source regarding it? :-)
Oh I totally read your post wrong, sorry. Nope it will still overwrite boot2. I think that rumor started here but it's totally unfounded.

zektor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will STILL overwrite boot2. I mentioned something regarding this a few days ago, but there was some confusion. If you had updated to v4.2 (then bannnerbomb/bootmii install), then restored nand to v4.1, then updated to v4.2 AGAIN using official update, the updater then would see your boot2 is current and not overwrite it the second time.

This was only found in deep testing, and is not meant for anyone....it was just some research.

The updater will definitely overwrite your boot2. You can get bootmii back by bannerbombing and installing the latest hackmii installer afterward....should your Wii bbe able to update boot2 that is.

dai-a

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
search_it_noob.gif

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
We are not arguing that boot2v3 or lower gets updated/touched by the 4.2 installer, but if an already updated boot2 (v4) will get touched by a 4.2 update. In other words: will it remove bootmii from a system already updated to boot2v4 or not? The answer (so far) seems to be: no, it leaves it alone.

Which is why getting a safe way to update to boot2v4 could be a good thing, cause then you wouldn't have to worry about the official update bricking you anymore.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii got updated to the official 4.2U thus I have the boot2v4. I restored via nand backup to 4.1 and noticed right away that it didn't restore the boot2 to the previous version. I then updated to 4.2 again but used nusd to download and install the 4.2 IOS files myself.

So my question is, since everything has been working perfectly for me - is there really any disadvantage to having boot2v4 over a previous version? Or is it just that having it updated via Ninty has a high risk of bricking?

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Afaik, there is no disadvantages once you are updated (not bricked), but other people might be more informed than me and disagree...

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you're good if you didn't brick. If you were EVER able to install bootmii as boot2 on that Wii, then you will still be able to. If you can't... then you never could. Nothing to do with the update.

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wait. 'urherenow' are you serious?

I'm a little confused by what you're saying.. I thought that when nintendo updates boot2 to v4 then bootmii is locked out from installing onto boot2. Hence why all the lu64+ wii's have to install to an ios.

but it sounds like you're saying if you had been able to install it before, then you updated (thus wiping bootmii) you could reinstall it as boot2 again? really?

I need some people to confirm this please.

I'm sorta annoyed as I have been under the impression as soon as your boot2 is updated then you can never install bootmii to boot2 again. But if thats not true, then people could just install hack mii, then update, then reinstall hackmii, and there would be no problem for it being written to boot2?

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wether or not you are able to get bootmii in boot2 depends on boot1. boot1 can not be updated by nintendo. If you could install bootmii into boot2 before, you will still be able to.

However, the problem is that when nintendo updates boot2 it uninstalls bootmii. If the nintendo updater (buggy) screws up, you are bricked and can not use bootmii to save it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since