Firm Sues Sony Over Cell processor

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firm Sues Sony Over Cell Processor. Does this mean the PS3 needs to be pulled from shelves soon?
ph34r.gif

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was going to say this looks like a patent troll (it very well could be) because from the article it sounded like they had a pantent on any form of parallel processing that utilises multiple cpus with a single data set, however, after reading the patent (Patent), it appear the claim is based on the fact that the Cell processor has a Main CPU with multiple slaves, whereas more general computing has each CPU is it's own master, however they can be set off to do slave tasks.

Edit: I re-read and it says any CPU can be a master....

If they win, I can't the the PS3 disappearing off the market, Sony will just pay out licensing and things will keep on going.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The whole patent system is really messed up. It's almost impossible to be sure you aren't infringing on anyone's patent even if you have a large budget for patent research.

This particular patent was filed on November 7, 1989, so it expires on November 7, 2009. If Sony can just drag this case out for 2 years, they'll be home free.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If a company patent something and are infringing another patent. They should have to come forward quickly. If you don't, you have no claim.

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
When the Cell processor was first announced, I wrote a big tirade on the net on how I had invented it myself during many late night pounding sessions (which is when I do my best pondering). Immediately, some other guys revealed that they had thought-up similar things while in college, the bathroom, etc. So the idea is certainly not unique (and just a spin on multi core/multi processor systems. I envisioned several tiny processors on a single die responsible for executing user-definable instructions capable of executing in parallel, which is not far off from the CELL (but better still) so no wonder someone went out and patented it. I doubt Sony would lose though, as there is tons of prior art which, and a team of great lawyers could make the patent appear void (Each multiprocessor system can be argued to be what was described in the patent). And even if they lose, all they need to do is either pay out the requested fees, or change the processor in a small way to make the patent inapplicable.

[EDIT:] WTF kind of sentence was *that*?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The Cell processor was modeled after the mainframe architecture IBM developed in the 70's. The Cell processor is basically a mainframe computer at a higher tact and on one chip instead of several chips on one motherboard (and some graphics acceleration added for good measure). And, the Cell was developed partly by IBM. Now, even if the firm filing the lawsuit has a patent, IBM has evidence of prior art; they were there first.

Still, Sony is in danger of the "Eolas effect". Just like Eolas managed to patent "plugins" when everyone else had been using plugins for years, and went on to win a lawsuit against Microsoft for using their "patented plugin technology" in Internet Explorer (prior art or not), the people suing Sony have a good shot at achieving an out of court settlement at least.

It's a weird world. I'm just waiting for someone to sue McDonalds for infringing someone else's "minced cow inna bun" patent...
rolleyes.gif

*goes to patent hamburgers*

EDIT: Wait. I just remembered Sony got their ass handed to them by Immersion, over the rumble patent, and that was a wild one, with "no chance of succeeding"...

Oh well. Bye-bye Sony Electronic Entertainment department. It's been fun knowing you...
nyanya.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up