Best Girl ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think Fire Emblem Fates is an abomination that needs to be wiped off the face of the earth.
Pros:
  • Good soundtrack.
  • The "choose your path" idea was neat but bad in execution.
  • Some enjoyable characters.
  • Looks great for a 3DS game.
  • My castle is a really cool idea.
  • Ninjas and shurikens/daggers are rad.
  • Two range healing staves are really cool.
  • Some cool new classes with really neat designs.
  • A lot of weapons look cool.
  • S weapon ranks return after being oddly absent from Awakening (not that it does you much good because S rank weapons have awful debuffs).
Cons:
  • Awful plot all around.
  • Birthright is too easy.
  • Revelation has some the worst level design I've ever seen.
  • Anthony.
  • If you want every path you have to pay $90-ish dollars.
  • All of the paths could have easily been combined into a single cartridge, instead they chose to make you pay for each path.
  • Waifus.
  • Fanservice and Weaboo pandering (I.E marriage, face touching, hot springs, anime tropes, over-sexualized female units, etc...)
  • Awful debuffs on weapons. Due to all of the weapons being unbreakable, Intelligent Systems had the brilliant idea to put horrible debuffs on weapons that would lower your stats after you use them. This made most weapons utterly useless and the only good weapons are forged iron weapons. I wish unbreakable weapons were handled like they are in S.O.V.
  • Corrin is an idiot.
  • Villains had horribly wasted potential, Garon could have been so much better.
  • Character roster is too big and filled with useless and boring characters (Hayato, Yukimura, Orochi, Hinoka)
  • Many support conversations are bland.
  • Xander is great in support conversations but his character completely changes for the worst and totally contradicts his ideals and is generally really shitty in Birthright and conquest.
  • You can marry your cousin.
  • Child units were awfully shoehorned in.
  • Magic sucks.
  • Everyone loves Corrin to a sickening degree.
  • The "we can't talk about Valla or we'll die" plot device.
  • The translation is really awkward.
That's about all I can think of right now. Fates is such a mound of wasted potential and I'm so glad Shadows of Valentia isn't following in its footsteps.
Got anything to add? Additions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Seliph,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can appreciate the fact you gave Fates its due credit. Always nice to see people seeing the good instead of just listing things they disliked.
Not really much I can add here though, seems you're nailed it!

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with pretty much everything you said. It was painful for me to play this game. Like really painful. Personally Fire Emblem 7, 8, and even 6 to some extent, will always be my favorites.

D

Deleted User

I personally found it to be more interesting than Awakening but I've only started playing it last night, gonna have to play a bit more before I can decide whether or not it's bad.

Fates-Blade-900

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that Fates was really rushed IMO "Xander is great in support conversations but his character completely changes for the worst and totally contradicts his ideals..." that is an example of what I mean.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Awful debuffs on weapons.
Another example.

Gremelia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing to add except the Hamfisted Morals with obvious favortism to Hoshido and Your Saintly Mother. (In fact I really haven't seen any forum or post mention how terrible of a character Mikoto is.) This was the second FE I played (Awakening being the first and that game made me want to play FE More) and I had never played something that appeared so condescending with everyone raving about how good and wonderful Mikoto and Hoshido is while scorning Garon and Nohr. It's gets so nauseating no matter which route you play (And I plan not to play the other two because of the bad taste the game left in my mouth. )

Reactions: Seliph

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing to add except the Hamfisted Morals with obvious favortism to Hoshido and Your Saintly Mother. (In fact I really haven't seen any forum or post mention how terrible of a character Mikoto is.) This was the second FE I played (Awakening being the first and that game made me want to play FE More) and I had never played something that appeared so condescending with everyone raving about how good and wonderful Mikoto and Hoshido is while scorning Garon and Nohr. It's gets so nauseating no matter which route you play (And I plan not to play the other two because of the bad taste the game left in my mouth. )
If you hate the story but enjoy traditional gameplay and genuinely well made and interesting maps, I suggest you give Conquest a go and just skip every bit of dialogue. For how bad the games are, Conquest's maps are honestly some of the best in the series.

Gremelia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you hate the story but enjoy traditional gameplay and genuinely well made and interesting maps, I suggest you give Conquest a go and just skip every bit of dialogue. For how bad the games are, Conquest's maps are honestly some of the best in the series.

Well I'm planning to take a break from Fates for a time because it was draining but if I go back to it, I'll probably consider that then- I had done Revelations and actually enjoyed the map where the troops change from base to advanced class so if there's more of that then I guess I'll try it out (Though for me the story and dialogue always should mean more but since this is Fates we're talking about I might consider that)

SantaClaus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I didn't like having so many classes and items unavailable in birthrights and Conquest. In Revelations on the other hand there were so many characters items and classes to pick from it was overwhelming. some classes seemed to be too similar to each other like Blacksmith and Hero and Kinshi Knight and Bow Knight. Japan exclusive DLC sucks. There should have only been one path. Three makes a game too long and two of them weren't that good. At least good graphics and good gameplay ideas make it a good base game for rom hacks.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I didn't like having so many classes and items unavailable in birthrights and Conquest. In Revelations on the other hand there were so many characters items and classes to pick from it was overwhelming. some classes seemed to be too similar to each other like Blacksmith and Hero and Kinshi Knight and Bow Knight. Japan exclusive DLC sucks. There should have only been one path. Three makes a game too long and two of them weren't that good. At least good graphics and good gameplay ideas make it a good base game for rom hacks.
Meanwhile Three House try too hard to fit all those route in one game that make it patheticly long while reapeated the map in all route. They don't even have enough class to cover most base and the weapon choice is just poor. It like they they take every cristism from Fates and making Three House and it turn out just as poorly.

SantaClaus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Meanwhile Three House try too hard to fit all those route in one game that make it patheticly long while reapeated the map in all route. They don't even have enough class to cover most base and the weapon choice is just poor. It like they they take every cristism from Fates and making Three House and it turn out just as poorly.
Three Houses seems to be very popular but I don't see what's so good about it. I didn't enjoy it myself. I think that fans of the older Fire Emblem games should stick to ROM hacks for now on.

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yeah, I may agree with various of those negative points and I still play Conquest regularly.

Awakening breaks itself and offers no map variety, Shadows of Valentia also brings dull maps, and Three Houses is easy and repetitive as fuck. There is not a single drop of tactic in those games. They may work as RPG's, but are terrible tactical games; any Advance Wars map is more interesting.

I could not care less about the story of a tactical game if its game play is not engaging. Interesting maps and challenging game play is why I still come back to Conquest, despite all its silliness and numerous mistakes.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Played through one path. Didn't care for it. Highlight of the game was that pervert archer.

I just steamrolled through the game using OP network characters I obtained and forgot all about the main plot.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑) +1