fire emblem awakening

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by nexuspunk, Apr 19, 2015.

1. nexuspunk
    OP

nexuspunk the mysterious one.

Mar 14, 2013
    United States
    team plasma castle.
    i keep seeing the game on the nintendo 3ds eshop, and for 39.99 i'm wondering if it is worth a purchase so if someone can give me a honest thought on it and how many blocks it could take up it would be much appreciated.

2. henn64

henn64 Hey Dood

Dec 26, 2012
    Canada
    Behind You >:)
    Do it. It's a great game with a great story and an easy mode if you're new to Fire Emblem permadeath
    8579 blocks

3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    google told me its 8579 blocks.
    the game isn't bad, its probably the FE game thats most approachable for people who never played the series or similar games.
    i'm wondering if you wouldn't be able to get the game cheaper used at this point though
    yeah, amazon has it for just under 30$ used.
    that way, you'd still have money left over to buy some of the dlcs (which is plentiful)

4. Coconut

Coconut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2010
    Netherlands
    It's my favourite game, buy it.

5. nexuspunk
    OP

nexuspunk the mysterious one.

Mar 14, 2013
    United States
    team plasma castle.
    interesting responses but it seems this game is met with over all positives, also coconut could you give me a bit more detail on what makes it your favorite game?

6. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    It's easily one of, if not THE, best games on the 3DS. It added key features that made the already stellar gameplay of the series even deeper. The 'rock-paper-scissors' style to the weapons makes the game fairly easy to understand and the story is pretty solid. Then they upgraded the support conversation mechanics into a full relationship system, where characters can pair up in battle to support each other, which in turn builds friendships and potentially even romance, which in turn can unlock new characters to recruit to your army in the form of their offspring. This adds a new layer to the strategy. Do you leave your units as solo operators to cover more ground, or do you pair them up for stat boosts at the cost of some of their attacks? Do you pair people up based on what works best for that combat scenario, or do you keep couples together to foster their budding romance? Do you pair characters off to produce offspring with the best abilities and stats, or based on who you think works best as a couple? I've had the game since launch day, and I'm still not bored of it. There's always another run to do, different combinations to try out, etc. I really can't recommend it enough, it's basically an essential part of any collection.

7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It is a very good game, among my favorites if not my favorite on the 3DS.
    There are very good maps, and strategy elements like pairing and support, that both affect gameplay and story.
    The story is good, but I have seen better.
    Gameplay, and collecting/completionist elements like maxing supports for all skits, marrying different combination of characters and getting different interactions with their kids, etc. is great.
    One possible point against this game (compared to other FE) is that it is too easy, even in Hard / Classic mode. Lunatic mode is like Normal difficulty.
    Also this one allows you to grind freely (most other FE doesn't), so you can grind enough to make the game boringly easy if you wanted.
    I would say you better not grind too much, and use strategy in your battles, it is more fun.
    Also, there is a LOT of great content available as DLCs, so be ready to buy extra content (if you wish so, it is good).

The game is worth every penny, to the point I bought it two times actually, once for 40USD at the American eShop, I played the game fully and then gave that 3DS as a gift to a friend, and then I kind of missed the game after some months and bought it again (physical copy) for my European 3DS XL.
    I would suggest you anyway to get a used physical copy in Gamestop or something. I got my European copy at Gamestop for some €30 or so.

8. JoshuaBojangles

JoshuaBojangles Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2011
    United States
    ^
    The only 3DS game I would recommend over FE:A is SMTIV. Both games are crowning jewels in the 3DS library and are absolutely leagues above anything else the library can offer.

The only downside to FE:A is that it will leave you moist and wanting for FE:If which isnt slated to release until next year T-T

9. Dragaan

Dragaan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2015
    United States
    California
    Very good game, but as other people have mentioned, you could probably find it cheaper retail + used

10. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I always wanted a physical version of SMTIV, damn Atlus and his treatment of Europe, well at least I am enjoying the eShop version (and it IS a great game).

11. moneychild

moneychild Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2013
    United States
    Buy it but you should buy a brand new PHYSICAL cartridge of the game so you can have your very own private header to you use if your into the whole gateway life.
    Anyway, best game I every owned.

12. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I have SMT 4 as well, but my memory card is far too small so it's in storage on my laptop for now. But hopefully this pay day I'll have enough left over to buy a bigger card, restore my entire library and finally add Rune Factory 4 to the mix. That's the major downside to the best eShop titles, they're unbelievable block hogs. I'd kill for physical copies of half my eShop purchases, but no, apparently we Brits and our peasant money don't warrant a full retail release.