Hacking Question Finally got my SX Pro, but...

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
...I'm hesitant in using it right now. The only thing I'd like to do with it atm is homebrew (non-cheating, no pirated backup loading, just emulation and save backups). Maybe ripping my own carts and running them from microSD so I won't have to keep swapping the carts. But supposedly, doing any of that can result in a ban.

Even though there's no 100% way to restrict sending data to Nintendo (I'm in the US) AND being able to do online play, what would be the best course of action regarding what I'd like to do? Even just emulation and save backups would be fine.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Eh. There's a risk involved with any route you take. However, you CAN place the Hekate bin file on the root of your sd card and launch it through the SX menu. I don't know. I'm weary of warez myself.. And even backing up my legitimate cartridges.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

gabe_derp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...I'm hesitant in using it right now. The only thing I'd like to do with it atm is homebrew (non-cheating, no pirated backup loading, just emulation and save backups). Maybe ripping my own carts and running them from microSD so I won't have to keep swapping the carts. But supposedly, doing any of that can result in a ban.

Even though there's no 100% way to restrict sending data to Nintendo (I'm in the US) AND being able to do online play, what would be the best course of action regarding what I'd like to do? Even just emulation and save backups would be fine.
The general consensus right now is to keep your Nintendo Switch in Airplane Mode, and to turn off error log sending. Other than that, any use of Homebrew is risking a ban. That's why it's optimal to have two Switchs, one for games, and one for modding. However, if you're like me and don't have that type of moolah to go around, just stay on Airplane Mode & don't do anything drastic. You should be fine.

PonyStation4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got banned and all I did was...

1. Install SX OS
2. Install backup of my Mario Kart 8 cart with legal keys
3. Play Fortnite online
4. Did touch it for a week
5. Try to run Fortnite and BANNED :glare:

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

If you only want to use homebrew, and being banned would be bad for you, then it doesn't make sense to use paid SX OS - there's zero to gain and everything to lose. You should just use the free version for homebrew, and sell your cartridges and buy the games on the eShop.

Reactions: BL4Z3D247

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh. There's a risk involved with any route you take. However, you CAN place the Hekate bin file on the root of your sd card and launch it through the SX menu. I don't know. I'm weary of warez myself.. And even backing up my legitimate cartridges.
This is what I’ll be doing. I’ll boot into Hekate, -first thing- and make my nand and boot1/0 backups.

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you only want to use homebrew, and being banned would be bad for you, then it doesn't make sense to use paid SX OS - there's zero to gain and everything to lose. You should just use the free version for homebrew, and sell your cartridges and buy the games on the eShop.

Silly silly cat. uvu everyone knows that buying games digitally are more expensive than buying it physically. Why would he sell his games and pay more to get them digitally? Silly consummate who never ever done anything bad and buys their games. So silly XP

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, what I did so far was
- running homebrew
- running XCI backups
- updating said backups in OFW

No LayeredFS, no online gaming of backups. Not banned. Yet.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Silly silly cat. uvu everyone knows that buying games digitally are more expensive than buying it physically. Why would he sell his games and pay more to get them digitally? Silly consummate who never ever done anything bad and buys their games. So silly XP
A small amount to pay if you care about preserving access to online play.

RareKirby

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N has a blacklist of game certs that cannot be played. this is a good alternative.
They will either update their servers to check certs to titleid or will issue another system update. the second is more likely next

considering they are about to offer paid service soon I see them doing a huge wave of bans and prob will implement the abov
also tools like this are meant as a alternatives and arent guaranteed to be safe.

A small amount to pay if you care about preserving access to online play.

upload_2018-7-12_4-38-15.png

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
well he obviously bought the SX Pro as a payload dongle. I guess that's what OP wants, not the OS iteself.
Kinda both, with the latter for when things calm down, improve, and hopefully are much less prone to banning. But yeah, right now, I simply want a means to run homebrew and backup my saves, and the dongle contributes to that.

I'm not understand the point regarding selling my carts and buying the games on the eShop. Is there an issue with carts and doing homebrew that can lead to a ban?

So anyways, since I just want to only do homebrew using the dongle, backup my saves (and now that I think about it, backing up my FW and stuff), what steps should I take? Is there a thread regarding this? Is the free version already on the dongle? Is the method to activate paid SX OS in plain sight or at least buried somewhere so that I can avoid accidentally executing it for the time being? Is there a thread that has a list of all the homebrew that can be used with this? I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing and how I do it before I begin anything.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not understand the point regarding selling my carts and buying the games on the eShop. Is there an issue with carts and doing homebrew that can lead to a ban?
You said this:
Maybe ripping my own carts and running them from microSD so I won't have to keep swapping the carts.
We don't know exactly what will cause a ban, and using TX's backup loader on games that you play online is a very good candidate for a ban. Or at minimum, a ban on the cartridges certs, which means they can no longer play online. That would make any game that is mostly about online play like Splatoon, near worthless. Better to sell the carts and buy digital copies, if you're concerned about swapping carts all the time and you don't want to be banned.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
We don't know exactly what will cause a ban, and using TX's backup loader on games that you play online is a very good candidate for a ban. Or at minimum, and ban on the cartridges certs, which means they can no longer play online. That would make any game that is mostly about online play like Splatoon, near worthless. Better to sell the carts and buy digital copies, if you're concerned about swapping carts all the time and you don't want to be banned.
Ah, I thought your mention of it was with regards to homebrew. My fault.

Wrathcaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm waiting for more info aswell, kept mine in airplane mode and stayed away from dev menu and layeredFS and waiting to see if the majority get banned or not lol

Last edited by Wrathcaster,

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CTCaer has released a script to pack any fg bin to a boot.dat, I've used it with success with hekate 3.2. I'd recommend that if all you want to do is run homebrew stuff.

I got my SX Pro recently, and although I love splatoon 2 (sold me a wii u for the original, then a switch for 2) it's getting hard to haul around all the carts I have in case I want to play them, so I bit the bullet and went ahead with it. Using airplane mode w/ Bluetooth and nfc on for cfw, and rebooting to ofw with clear logs in hekate to play splatoon 2, so far no ban but it's only been a day. Hoping that I can get away from it but not holding my breath.

Last edited by Hking0036,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Speak to Psi, he'll offer you some in Tempycoin. :tpi:
    +1
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    Day after day, we drink beer, Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Beer can be bad for your teeth
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    Teeth? What Teeth?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Do crack instead. Beer is more of a depressant.
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    I like taking trips without even leaving my house, if ya know what I mean.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hygienist name is Jose I'm like fuck Juan found me
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did he ask to see yo feet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's second cousin obsessed with teeth
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you wake up with your belt un-buckled?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Let me lift you up in my chair
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Down there, teeth removal is putting you behind an angry donkey.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth removal is tying the donkeys hair to the tooth and slapping it's ass
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The cleaning stuff they used was actually nice tasted like frosting
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That'd be 2million pesos, drink this tequila for your pain.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Also buy my art senior don't forget what happened with Germany
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For reference, so everyone knows we are not racist, just like to pick on Juan, and he gives it back to us 'murdicans in return. I love me some latinos.
    +1
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    hello? anyone alive here?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm dead inside
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    at least you can chat :)
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    i dont want to sound silly, but im kind of lost, im new to this community and i have a lot of question and idk where to start
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I watched baby yoda eat frog eggs on mandalorian last night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Morganna Welcome to the temp! what are your questions?
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @Morganna Welcome to the temp! what are your questions? +1