ROM Hack RELEASE Final Fantasy X/X-2 & XII Unpack/Repacker

kiyafox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello im trying to port a mod i made for the pc version to the switch for ffxii
. i know i need to extract the vbf from the nsp but i lost the nsp and forgot how to get it back, i also need to figure out how to get just the vbf's from it.

Benkat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, i'm trying undub FFX on PS4
I replaced the US files with the JP ones and renamed each file but it didn't work.
I need to copy the JP folder, but how do I force it?

Stellar

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That you can share this mod without legality being questioned (since by repacking you will upload file also with unmodified assets which is a no-no on mod sites).

And since this is an old thread - I have managed to repack PATCH file to put whole Polish translation, I don't remember now why it didn't work before.

I hope it's okay to revive this thread with questions.

Let's say I pack MyMod.vbf with this tool's pack function, will the game see these files?

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's say I pack MyMod.vbf with this tool's pack function, will the game see these files?
No. And there are 2 main issues with this approach:
1. Game accepts by default only 2 VBF files with hardcoded names.
2. Some files are checked against "filesizetable_nx_us.fst" in case of English language and if uncompressed size doesn't match table, game hangs. Issue is that we don't know all files listed there, there are no names to figure it out. Polish translation mod for PC had 2 files that were listed in that table and ffgriever figured out where to patch table, the same way he helped me figure out what to patch on Switch. And those tables are different on PC and Switch.

Stellar

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
No. And there are 2 main issues with this approach:
1. Game accepts by default only 2 VBF files with hardcoded names.
2. Some files are checked against "filesizetable_nx_us.fst" in case of English language and if uncompressed size doesn't match table, game hangs. Issue is that we don't know all files listed there, there are no names to figure it out. Polish translation mod for PC had 2 files that were listed in that table and ffgriever figured out where to patch table, the same way he helped me figure out what to patch on Switch. And those files are different on PC and Switch.
I used this tool 2-3 years ago to successfully install 2 simple mods via layeredFS by just putting them in the patch file. I don't remember if I packed or repacked, but it worked.

I was going to see if I could get lucky again and test another mod, but I just wanted to understand what the benefit of packing vs repacking might be.

Earlier you said it's so people can distribute mods without including vanilla game files, but how could that be the case if the game only sees FFXII_TZA.vbf and FFXII_TZA_PATCH.vbf?

If I were to pack a vbf from scratch and give it the FFXII_TZA_PATCH.vbf name but ONLY included my mod files, wouldn't that prevent the game from loading the files from the actual patch? I would be effectively uninstalling the patch to load modded files, right?

masagrator

The patches guy
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If I were to pack a vbf from scratch and give it the FFXII_TZA_PATCH.vbf name but ONLY included my mod files, wouldn't that prevent the game from loading the files from the actual patch? I would be effectively uninstalling the patch to load modded files, right?
yes

Earlier you said it's so people can distribute mods without including vanilla game files, but how could that be the case if the game only sees FFXII_TZA.vbf and FFXII_TZA_PATCH.vbf?
Make a mod loader that will remove this limitation. But nobody did, so PACK is good only if you want to add more files to PATCH than actually there are.

Reactions: Stellar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: