MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So i want to port the pc game Final Fantasy VII Ultima edition to DS Do you think it has enough power to do it? (I would use the 3in1 ram expansion)
Please only respond if you have enough coding knowledge to make a sound judgment

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wolfmanz51 said:
So i want to port the pc game Final Fantasy VII Ultima edition to DS Do you think it has enough power to do it? (I would use the 3in1 ram expansion)
Please only respond if you have enough coding knowledge to make a sound judgment
From my knowledge of all things DS, it's possible but not plausible.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wolfmanz51 said:

How will you port the game ?
You would need the source code.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Unless you want to start coding it from scratch, then you'll need the source code, like nIxx said.

You can "port" the game, but you'd have to compress a lot of graphics and sound, as well as reducing the effects on screen. Even if you were simply porting the game while having the source code on hand, you're going to have to convert the FMV's to a format playable on the DS. Also, I believe the resolution was 640x480, so you're going to have to drastically change the way the game is displayed if you want anything to be visible.

So anyway, it's possible, but the result would hardly look or feel as good as the original.

By the way, even if you have the source code, this would take a massive amount of re-writing and organization of code. While this may be "possible', it's not possible for an independent developer to do so within a reasonable time frame or without catching hell from Square Enix if you ever get close to a finished product.

You can compare Disgaea: Hour of Darkness or Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness to Disgaea DS as an example of how graphics and sounds have to be reduced in quality to get a good frame rate on the DS.

crescentsaber

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.lunarist.com
XP
Country
12philip12 said:
is this game the FF7 as from the psx ? with the 4 discs ? if so isnt it too big for ds ?

The size is not a problem since if you explore the 4 discs, 90% of the content is the same. I think just the FMVs are a bit different specially disc4 since its got the ending FMV, but I might be wrong.

With the DS video codec I'm pretty sure size is not a problem, the problem would be finding someone who's crazy enough to do it. This will at least take 3-4 years of your life if you decide to do it alone - needs to be written from scratch because simply emulating it is NOT possible due to the DS' lack of processing power

EDIT: damn you omatic, you're basically saying what I said ! LOL... props for being 5 secs earlier =D

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
crescentsaber said:
12philip12 said:
is this game the FF7 as from the psx ? with the 4 discs ? if so isnt it too big for ds ?

The size is not a problem since if you explore the 4 discs, 90% of the content is the same. I think just the FMVs are a bit different specially disc4 since its got the ending FMV, but I might be wrong.

With the DS video codec I'm pretty sure size is not a problem, the problem would be finding someone who's crazy enough to do it. This will at least take 3-4 years of your life if you decide to do it alone - needs to be written from scratch because simply emulating it is NOT possible due to the DS' lack of processing power

EDIT: damn you omatic, you're basically saying what I said ! LOL... props for being 5 secs earlier =D

=)

QUOTE(wolfmanz51 @ Jan 15 2009, 11:10 PM)
im talking about the pc game not the psx one so theres only one disc

Maybe you missed the other massive problems I put forth earlier, but the number of discs is the least of your worries.

Eponasoft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It can be done. The models from the PC game could be converted to your format of choice (or used directly, either way), the textures could be re-used largely unmodified (might have to resize a few though), and you'd have to resize all the bitmapped area graphics. The music could be converted to mp3 and streamed via libfat. Videos? EMC.
smile.gif
(shameless plug!) You could even have the menus up full-time on the touchscreen and have the gameplay on the top screen. It can be done.

However, the amount of time invested in such a conversion is more than one person, or even a small group of people, would be able to handle. Most of the 4MB of RAM would be dedicated to code, leaving not a lot of room for required data buffering. Furthermore, you would likely have to either hand-optimize your code for size, or code size-critical portions in assembly just to make it all fit.

It can be done. But I don't think it will be done. I sure as hell wouldn't ever take it on.

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow welcome to gbatemp Eponasoft.
smile.gif
Its been along time since I saw you.
Also If you think realistically, it's Square Enix you're dealing if someone's gonna do this project.
They dont double think if they saw a fan game, they'll C&D it right away.
frown.gif

Eponasoft

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey SoulAnger, yeah very long time it's been.
smile.gif
Been lurking a bit here and there but figured I should finally join up. But yeah...Square would lose a bolt in their head if they knew someone was intruding on their IP. You'd be lucky to ONLY get a C&D.

SoulAnger

MENUdo's Developer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Believe me or not, but Square only does C&D nothing more nothing less.
Chrono Resurrection, is a great example of this.
It was so damn hot for a mere Unreal Mod, search the trailer at Youtube.
It looked like the project could hit Squaresoft's Chrono Trigger (Snes / DS) consecutively at its balls, and yet Square just gave them a C&D.

Also, I never heard of a fan project that actually got more than a C&D. :-\

NeverGoingBack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A long time ago some people were working on making a 8bit nes version of FF7. I dont know if it was ever complete though. If so , this could be played on Nes emulator or even alot easier to port to DS. You could even down sample the psx videos to dpg and put them in the right spots for some FMV. Dont know if this is concievable, Id play it though.

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Eponasoft said:
It can be done. The models from the PC game could be converted to your format of choice (or used directly, either way), the textures could be re-used largely unmodified (might have to resize a few though), and you'd have to resize all the bitmapped area graphics. The music could be converted to mp3 and streamed via libfat. Videos? EMC.
smile.gif
(shameless plug!) You could even have the menus up full-time on the touchscreen and have the gameplay on the top screen. It can be done.

However, the amount of time invested in such a conversion is more than one person, or even a small group of people, would be able to handle. Most of the 4MB of RAM would be dedicated to code, leaving not a lot of room for required data buffering. Furthermore, you would likely have to either hand-optimize your code for size, or code size-critical portions in assembly just to make it all fit.

It can be done. But I don't think it will be done. I sure as hell wouldn't ever take it on.
Thank you for your very educated response.

QUOTE(SoulAnger @ Jan 15 2009, 09:17 PM) Wow welcome to gbatemp Eponasoft.
smile.gif
Its been along time since I saw you.
Also If you think realistically, it's Square Enix you're dealing if someone's gonna do this project.
frown.gif
well not if its done in the light of QuakeDS where Im not actually remaking there game im just allowing the DS to run it then I wont get a C&D

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulAnger said:
It looked like the project could hit Squaresoft's Chrono Trigger (Snes / DS) consecutively at its balls, and yet Square just gave them a C&D.

I would love to see someone just take these C&D letters and throw them away, and blissfully continue their work. Let the company spend the thousands on court costs if they really mean it. Otherwise, they're nothing but empty threats and mean nothing.

QUOTE(NeverGoingBack @ Jan 16 2009, 02:43 PM) A long time ago some people were working on making a 8bit nes version of FF7. I dont know if it was ever complete though. If so , this could be played on Nes emulator or even alot easier to port to DS. You could even down sample the psx videos to dpg and put them in the right spots for some FMV. Dont know if this is concievable, Id play it though.

Chinese bootleggers already made this and sold cartridges. It was dumped to ROM last year. It would need a translation at the very least... editing the graphics(most of which were lifted from other FF games) and toning the difficulty down to a playable level would also need to be done.

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Diosoth said:
SoulAnger said:

I would love to see someone just take these C&D letters and throw them away, and blissfully continue their work. Let the company spend the thousands on court costs if they really mean it. Otherwise, they're nothing but empty threats and mean nothing.

Well sadly they Square can and I believe would take action and thats a risk most are not willing to take ...unless they have butt loads of money to not care and just pay them off

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
wolfmanz51 said:
SoulAnger said:
frown.gif
well not if its done in the light of QuakeDS where Im not actually remaking there game im just allowing the DS to run it then I wont get a C&D
This is nonsense, Quake's engine was open sourced like ten years ago, and there's no law against source ports. You'd have to do a complete game engine recreation for FF7.

wolfmanz51

MrNintendosense
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Vague Rant said:
wolfmanz51 said:
SoulAnger said:
frown.gif
This is nonsense, Quake's engine was open sourced like ten years ago, and there's no law against source ports. You'd have to do a complete game engine recreation for FF7.
Well thats what I was gona do was recreate the game engine I thought that was at leas legal but if not fuck it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.