Final Fantasy VII PC

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Ammako, Dec 16, 2011.

Dec 16, 2011

Final Fantasy VII PC by Ammako at 5:57 PM (1,206 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Ammako
    OP

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I have installed Final Fantasy VII PC and am playing using the custom driver since it fixes some glitches that happen with the regular driver.
    Also, the custom driver allows me to use a real MP3 soundtrack instead of the midi soundtrack.

However, when I get in a battle, the battle swirl at the start is unusually fast.
    There's a line in the custom driver config file that should normally put a FPS limit on that battle swirl, but it doesn't work.
    Anyone knows how I can fix that? (There are no forums on that Final Fantasy 7 PC website...)

Ok, fix found.
    If you're getting this problem, patch the game using YAMP with the MiniGameFix patch, this one really does fix the FPS issue on the battle swirl.

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    I'm using 0.7.10b of the OpenGL plugin and the swirl works fine here, I don't even have to use the FPS limit option, I've just enabled VSync:

Code:
    # check your driver settings if this option doesn't seem to work
    enable_vsync = yes
    EDIT: I haven't played it in a while, iirc, so I remember having set the FPS limiter thingy to off as I prefer a faster swirl, but it definitely worked here.

3. Ammako
    OP

Canada
    vsync was enabled on my side as well, but it didn't seem to work.
    And when you say you prefer a faster swirl... You didn't see what it looked like on my side. You could barely see a battle swirl.

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Have you checked what's your plugin version? Maybe they introduced a bug in newer versions which made VSync stop working.

Hmm, well, my PC isn't total crap (E8600 + GTX260) and I can still appreciate the swirl effect, but maybe yours has a better CPU and the effect is probably CPU dependent.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Ooh, how can I enable that on purpose? The speed of the swirl always bothered me and I'd like it to be faster.

6. Ammako
    OP

Canada
    Use the MiniGameFix patch with YAMP.
    Experiment with the values in the .txt file for the patch, try 45-60FPS and see what you prefer.

7. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    The port used DirectX for rendering, which is why the battle swirl spins faster. I'm surprised the game runs stable on anything newer than Windows 98 (bad experiences).

8. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    For extra buggy fun, the PC version of FFVIII includes a mini-app for the Chocobo World minigame that required the use of a Pocketstation (a VMU-like peripheral only released in Japan) on the PSone version. That Chocobo World minigame had some sort of bad string or memory leak that basically caused 100% CPU or RAM usage every time it was run. (obviously I don't remember which, just that I didn't feel comfortable running it because of the resources it always consumed)

I'm not sure I ever installed FF7 PC, does antialiasing or other enhancement features work in it?
    I know it doesn't work properly in FF8 PC, it just screws up all the textures.

9. M[u]ddy

Member M[u]ddy GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    There is a loader for FF8 that enables higher resolutions and fixes all graphic glitches.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ammako
    OP

Canada
    I got another problem.
    When I attempt to start FFVII, it just closes.
    If I start it with ficedula (For the music mod), it says "No sound driver available" and shuts down.
    (It worked perfectly yesterday, now the only settings I changed were the display resolution.)
    I tried changing the resolution back, no success.

For some reason, plugging my earphones into my computer fixed the issue.

11. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Another way to fix it is to open up the config.exe and check the audio tab to see if a device is chosen. Sometimes when you plug in headphones or whatever when you are playing the game it will switch the audio device, then when you unplug them it sees it as no audio device available. It's pretty stupid and I would love to change it but oh well.