Hacking Final Fantasy Type-0 RomHacking

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Voices are in Japanese. If you translate something with an honorific into English it doesn't end up retaining that honorfic....plus if you can understand the Japanese voices you're not going to need the English translation.

How many games developed in Japan and then localised for the rest of the world retain that Japanese language form? None that i can think of....

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honorifics don't tend to carry over in video games, but are common in Anime/Manga translations.

Then again, how many video games have Japanese voice acting with English subs? The presence of Japanese voices does merit at least some consideration since it's clear that the story is being told from the Japanese perspective.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Honorifics don't tend to carry over in video games, but are common in Anime/Manga translations.

Then again, how many video games have Japanese voice acting with English subs? The presence of Japanese voices does merit at least some consideration since it's clear that the story is being told from the Japanese perspective.

Anime is often set in Japan.

Type-0 Isn't. Ultimately the game has Japanese voices because it's a Japanese game. If it had an official translation then it'd have either English VA's or both audio tracks. Either way, there's no chance it'd have so-and-so-kun, or whatchamacallit-sama etc...

Fawning over Japanese culture is fine if that's your thing and it doesn't intrude on everything without reason, but trying to ram it into everything serves no purpose. These characters are speaking whatever languages they speak in Orience....just think of them speaking Japanese because the game was originally translated from Orience-tongue into Japanese. If it had been into English then the Japanese forms wouldn't feature.

Reactions: GHANMI

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anime is often set in Japan.

Type-0 Isn't. Ultimately the game has Japanese voices because it's a Japanese game. If it had an official translation then it'd have either English VA's or both audio tracks. Either way, there's no chance it'd have so-and-so-kun, or whatchamacallit-sama etc...

Fawning over Japanese culture is fine if that's your thing and it doesn't intrude on everything without reason, but trying to ram it into everything serves no purpose. These characters are speaking whatever languages they speak in Orience....just think of them speaking Japanese because the game was originally translated from Orience-tongue into Japanese. If it had been into English then the Japanese forms wouldn't feature.
That's a good point, but Anime/Manga fansubbers don't necessarily consider "honorifics only in a Japanese setting" as a golden rule. Some translators just don't prefer Westernizing names that the viewer can clearly hear ending with -san, -chan, etc.

In old games in particular, it's also easier for the translator to keep things in standard English due to text limitations. There's also less demand for it since most gamers probably aren't Otaku.

shakespearerules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These characters are speaking whatever languages they speak in Orience....just think of them speaking Japanese because the game was originally translated from Orience-tongue into Japanese. If it had been into English then the Japanese forms wouldn't feature.

This is known informally as 'translation convention'. When you watch Gladiator, and all of the characters are inexplicably speaking modern English in Ancient Rome? Translation convention; there's no way that the general audience will speak Latin. It's the alternative to subtitling a movie (and making the actors learn a movie in another language).

That said, honorifics fill a specific need in Japanese culture that we don't have in English--indicating social position is extremely important in Japanese (and it's very rude to directly address someone without using an honorific to cushion the reference, even with people at your social level). My translation philosophy is 'if there is not an English equivalent, leave it and put in a footnote', but that philosophy is built on the back of translating Buddhist and Confucian texts written in Sanskrit and classical Chinese and classical Japanese, where glossing technical terms can be nigh impossible--Japanese honorifics are very simple to negotiate, and in the cases of -san or -kun or -chan, they can be safely ignored in most cases.

Reactions: xist

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
This is known informally as 'translation convention'. When you watch Gladiator, and all of the characters are inexplicably speaking modern English in Ancient Rome? Translation convention; there's no way that the general audience will speak Latin. It's the alternative to subtitling a movie (and making the actors learn a movie in another language).

All things being equal, I'd start a campaign to utilise British English spelling for the translation (i.e the correct way to spell! :P) but i know that'd be about as popular as always online consoles...

(Because honour among thieves, is honour under the seas!)

Jordyi

Trophies
XP
Country
Just had to make an account to say I back this project and appreciate all the effort you guys are putting in!

To respond to talk about the Japanese voices, would it be possible to actually re-dub and repackage the talking into the game in english? I think if the voices were done well and the right people were chosen from a seclection, it could make this project even better. There could even be community selection based off of voice sample reels.

PS. I would totally be up to doing this in my studio. :)

joegoku

Final-Fan(tasy)
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This project won't do it, but maybe, if the project is finished, u can search for a team, that wants to do this (and u have the subs to do so). Maybe Sky can give u a hand at that then, but that is his to decide^^

SkyBladeCloud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I was suggested it before. And it would be very interesting to actually dub the game into English, but I wouldn't like to put a fan dub into this project. It is already too big, and expanding it could lead to delays and stall the text translations, which I consider should be the current priority.

Of course I'm open to do it once the translation is finished. Just some thing to note:

-So far my romhacking tools don't support audio files; audio support can be added, but I don't have all audio files to share (I do have about the half of them, but not all xD).
-There is no relationship between audio and text files, meaning that that, once extracted, the audio won't have transcription.

I'm sure this problems can be sorted, and we might work on them after finishing the current project ;)

~Sky

NSRSM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Know what I kinda miss? And this is probably Golden Sun talking but I actually miss having actual weapon models and even though we got airships, I'd like a boat. I really would have liked a underwater mission or two. Perhaps some sunken ruins would have been great too.

Uh sorry for the on topic off topic rant. I just love Type 0.

ORIENCE!

LEDAHGRIM

RPG Dreamer
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm finally going to get a chance to try merging the isos!
I'll leave some feedback.

I merged mine and so far the merged ISO works like charm! I only notice a bit of lag but maybe that's because
mine is a PSP 1000 series with 32 MB of RAM or it's some plugins fault... Anyway the emrged ISO works and the
process is quite simple.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Voices are in Japanese. If you translate something with an honorific into English it doesn't end up retaining that honorfic....plus if you can understand the Japanese voices you're not going to need the English translation.

How many games developed in Japan and then localised for the rest of the world retain that Japanese language form? None that i can think of....

Didn't persona 3 keep the honorifics in?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Didn't persona 3 keep the honorifics in?

Probably...it's been a while since i played it. But, it's set in Japan, in a Japanese school, with Japanese teens as the leading characters. Comparing that to most games (which aren't) is an unfair match. Would it have lost anything from not having honorifics? Honestly i doubt it, and i loved P3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You must be north of me, Im in Ohio.. It been storming on off all day here, coming from the north
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    just barely maybe, more so just dead east.
    I'm in NJ
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is weird looking at the radar, it is making a circle
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    @BigOnYa well, starting with, idk which emulator should i use for switch, i got a gtx 1650, do you know which one would it better for my pc?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The switch emulators on pc rely on your CPU mostly, and they only use a single core, so GPU not as important as a good CPU. I don't use switch emulator, but many here do, and willing to help.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 do you want to chime in, don't you use yuzu or ryujinx? Which do you prefer?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Morganna I'd say try them both, and see which work better for your setup, good luck, and have fun!
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    i tried just yuzu so far, not even played, just open the game to see if it run
    +1
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    By the way, is there any website you recommend to search for some roms?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you are not allowed to discuss them here, against the rules of the site. Sorry. But you can Google Nintendo NSP and there will be a few listed.
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    @BigOnYa that was actually very helpful, thank you very much
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Game on!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually looking forward to that new m&ms song Friday
  • DTApple @ DTApple:
    Water is the Wii Startup Disc of the soul.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I won't listen till they bring back the purple ones
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    For every Nintendo question that gets asked I'll post a Taylor swift song in return
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Whatever happened to D12?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Split after their friends death but still friends
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    still waiting on my salsa lmao
    em you lied to us
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remb that song, i just never knew that was what he was talking bout.
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    the backwards d looks so weird
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    like :D or D: is nowhere near as odd as ꓷ:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (: is just the text version of 🙃 no matter how much they want me to think it's 🙂
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    emo
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: emo