Gaming Final Fantasy 7 on DS ?

cheesyPOOF5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd say it's too late to suggest big game ideas for the DS. There probably will be another handheld soon. Maybe we could try to get a FFVII remake/port onm that system.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think final fantasy 7 is a bad idea. I would prefer it on like the PS3 or something because the graphics are waay better. If you port it on Nintendo DS, it would be almost the same thing as the playstation version

Well, gee....that's what I think most people want. Even if they kept all the texture work identical, it would look better on the DS's small screens. They could maybe make movies and spell effects skippable though.

It's one of those games that should be a no-brainer to any developer that wants MONEY.
blink.gif

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking at the FF7 directory on my PC. 880megs just for videos out of a 1.31 gig install. 105 vids in all.

Just on a quick re-conversion of the vids (from AVI's to AVI's using a program called Total Video Converter), I knocked it down to 220megs. Imagine if they were put into a DS compatible format....they would get even smaller. And let's face it, some of the vids could have just been done in graphics rendering or skipped completely without being missed. (some, not all)

Maybe Square Enix is just waiting for Ninty to provide a 512meg cart size and then we might see it. That's the next logical size after the upcoming 256megger carts.

Who knows, they might even be able to squeeze it into a 256meg cart if you consider that the system files are likely just as bloated as the vids were back then too.

I still say it is entirely possible for it to be done. While 4,5 and 6 are nice and all, FF7 was, in my opinion, the best one up to that point. Besides, the DS plays GBA games and they already made 4,5 and 6 on that.....they should just skip them and go straight to 7. That is the one EVERYONE has been starved for the longest.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, these big companies can be so stupid sometimes. Obvious money-maker games get skipped over all too often.
dry.gif

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder

I wouldn't be surprised if they did make FF7, because remakes are a good revenue source for Squeenix. How do I know? Because they keep making remakes. I think it would be a good time for them to make it when the hardware finally reaches the "golden years", Kind of like the GBA within the past couple of years. Maybe a year before Nintendo releases their next system. Or maybe they're waiting for the next system that will finally destroy the fabric of Japanese society?

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or maybe they're just busy working on other games, like Crisis Core.

Now THAT is a waste of time, even an average DS game likely sells more games than a good PSP game. The install base just isn't there for the PSP.

No, they're wasting their time making FF4 (and likely 5 and 6) for DS when we've already had it on GBA (and OH! the DS can play those, hmmm....so they're making DS versions why?). They're so busy raising the other games up to the FF7 standard in graphics that they are forgetting the game that was already there. FF7.

Gee, why didn't they 3D-pretty FF1 and 2 for the DS? They've already skipped those games in the series for DS, they could skip to 7 just as easily.

Unless FF4 DS has spells with monsters busting up out of the ground (or bursting forth from the clouds) and laying the smack-down on the enemies like FF7 had, just adding 3D graphics won't impress me and I won't bother with it. Especially if they're going to be ridiculous about it like they did with FF3 and not even use the second screen most of the time. They could have put your inventory and whatnot on that screen, but no, they turn it completely off most of the game. That's just stupid. (I don't even want to hear that BS about the graphics being so intense that they HAD to limit it to one screen, that's just crap)

They put out that FFCC game and the FF12 spin-off (in Japan so far anyway) so they skipped some games there too. They're dancing all around FF7. They even made the FF Suckobo Tales, but yeah, they're too busy to put out FF7.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, they're too busy....too busy putting out all the games EXCEPT the one game that people actually want. Hence, threads like this one asking for that one game they don't seem to want to give us. FINAL FANTASY 7!

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or maybe they're just busy working on other games, like Crisis Core.

Now THAT is a waste of time, even an average DS game likely sells more games than a good PSP game. The install base just isn't there for the PSP.
If you don't think Crisis Core is going to have phenomenal sales, then your opinion on anything marketing related is completely useless.

My point was that it takes a AAA title on the PSP to make big sales, whereas most mediocre games on the DS will sell just as many copies because of the install base.
Put the original FF7 on DS and Crisis Core on PSP and I'd be willing to bet that the DS game would outsell the PSP's spin-off version.

M

mario5555

1.)The only hitch here is Square Enix.
Square Enix has no desire to remake FF7.  There have been no rumors, no suggestions, nothing. 

2.) Now, let's say they ARE, in fact, interested in remaking it as they did for the PC.  The people who did the PC remake were NOT the same people who did the original.  The people who did the PC remake were not given very good resources.  They did not have access to the original backgrounds and such.  There were a lot of issues and it turned out looking no where near as nice as the original.  IF Squeenix was interested in a remake, they would do the same thing they did with the PC version. 

Sure, it would be nice to have one of the first 3D FFs remade for the DS and it would kind of make sense in lieu of the recent spin-offs and sequels released based on FF7, but Squeenix has shown no interest in it and the end result could end up looking like crap.  If Squeenix was interested, it could definitely happen, but it probably will not.

1.) You might want to read what Yoshinori Kitase has said in recent interviews, he said if there is interest, then it is something they would consider. However, in the same information I read, Tetsuya Noruma said he didn't know of them planning anything. So at this point anything is possible. But I dunno where you've been getting your info from because there HAS been talks about the game being redone... and I quote

QUOTEBut, as usual, all isn't necessarily lost. Yoshinori Kitase, overall director of the FFVII series, followed up with, "However, when we ask the staff who are making FFXIII why they entered the company, there are many people who say, 'I'm an FFVII fan, I also want to do a remake.'" To this, Nomura added, "We of course know ourselves what the fans want so we'd like to continue thinking up a variety of things. As long as there are people who want to make it and people who are waiting for it, we don't want to proclaim 'the end.'"

2.) PC Remake...? There is no such thing. Say it with me...it...is...a...Port. The only thing that was changed was a slight graphical retouching by Square USA graphical artists for the higher resolution (and 3D card rendering) it was being ported to so it would look better, a nicer higher quality sound system being implemented for better music.

Second (and again follow me on this...) Square did the port job, Eidos published it and helped with technical issues, (and they didn't even do that totally well) however it was mostly done totally inhouse by Square so I don't see how you come up with that they had NO access to anything from the original game, honestly it is basically the same game from PS1 to PC except for control changes and the other things I mentioned (and a few other odds and ends)

And I vehemently disagree about FF7 PC being inferior to FF7 PS1, the PC version run in it's native 640x480 3D accelerated version on a supported video card looks and sounds (again with a supported sound card) leagues better than the original PS1 version.

And lastly if they were to remake it or whatever it would be done for the PS3 period. Kitase has stated as such (in the comment I alluded to earlier) and this is mainly attributed to Square remaking the opening scene on the PS3 in real time for their tech demo a year or so ago.

And now you know, having correct information makes you feel good now doesn't it...
lecture.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Crisis Core would have "phenomenal sales" it'll do very well for a PSP game, but thats it. Thats judging by the sales of the two GTA titles which on the PS2 sold a lot more than a singular PS2 FF game (San Andreas did over 14 million, FF12 did just under 5). In a years time however I reckon there would be a lot more owners of PSP but lets be honest the majority of people who have a PSP are the GTA/Halo/Graphic whore types rather than the RPG types.

For me "phenomenal" is something like Pokemon P/D or Nintendogs sales.

Critical_Impact

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll probably get stabbed for saying this but grab yourself a PSP and popstation and you've got FF8 and FF7 on the go
biggrin.gif

I've got a DS Lite and I'm going to grab a PSP this week just for FF8
biggrin.gif

While FF7 would be good on DS i'd imagine trying to squash all the content onto one cart would be kinda hard.

heliuscc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I like playing RPG type games on my PSP hadrian. Esp. FF7, lol.
The DS has great games as well and I play it as much as the PSP. Soon as Zelda comes out the PSP will be back in it's box for a while anyway.

artisan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll probably get stabbed for saying this but grab yourself a PSP and popstation and you've got FF8 and FF7 on the go
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

While FF7 would be good on DS i'd imagine trying to squash all the content onto one cart would be kinda hard.
the new m33 cfw allows you to run an eboot w/o popstation

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

the new m33 cfw allows you to run an eboot w/o popstation
Most people I've talked to download pre-converted eboots anyways.

I know that I do, even for the games I already own.

Sejo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does this seem so impossible to you guys, I was thinking back and remembered that FF7 and Metal Gear were a Nintendo brand too, and now that I think of it Resident Evil was is too well do you remember RE1 that was only for PS1 and DS and Saturn. Well not it's on a DS and it's RE1:DS so now think why in hell would they not want to try and make a FF7 on the DS?

ChrisCrawford

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not as easy as it appears on first glance for a strait port, remember the hardware is completly different. Things need to be loaded differently, and you need to do something with that top screen, and with the touch screen. Music and sound need to be re-converted and stuff needs to be resized I'm pretty sure.

I am more for a remake of FF7 on a high powered console. FF6 is my favorit and I think that should be remade with modern graphics first. Though I love the look of FF6 as it is. It's what got me started on being a 2d artist.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, doge is dead
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan: