Gaming Final Fantasy 7 on DS ?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd much rather see Dragon Quest on the DS, but alas, I'm only dreaming...

wink.gif

I remember reading an announcement last month about them making remakes for some DQ sequels, but not the first DQ. yes,
frown.gif
as well.
Oh I reckon the time will come when SE would remake some, would be huge in Japan.

Sekkyumu

Trophies
Website
charaveldesign.com
XP
Country
France
You can already play all three on a homebrew-enabled PSP.

Honestly I think this is the worst thread of the day so far.[/b][/color]

Do you think you could stop submitting every single post you make with a bold, purple font, you fucking ego Nazi. Your posts are not better than everyone elses, so you can use standard type like everyone else does. I held back on making this point for your first 100 posts thinking you would grow out of it but I was CLEARLY wrong. Now the time has come to tell you to stop it.

However calling someone else a "Nazi" is, I guess, against some rules
wink.gif

Legend

.missing
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be alright with this if they REMADE it. If they try to make another sequel, I might just head down there & shoot them myself.
Dirge of Cerberus, anyone?

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
It's totally possible.. video compression technology today is a lot better then it was in 1996, not mentioning the size of the DS screen that would make the videos size smaller.

A 2gbit card would be needed..

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS is perfectly capable of PS1 level graphics. FF7 could be done on it. Yes, it had multiple disks, but besides the movies, much of the data was the same on all disks. You wouldn't need that redundancy on a cart. Movie files would take up much less space on the DS's smaller screens. Compression has come a long way since 1997. MIDI which was the music on FF7, takes practically no space compared to digital CD tracks.

People say that it will never happen because it was on the PS1....so? There was a PC version too. I have it. Why not a DS version?

It COULD be done.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From old connections some time ago I looked into it and honestly any of the PSX FFs could be done quite well on the DS but require some moderate retooling. That retooling though should save so much space it would be hard not to see it work out on a very large card or 2 like DQ9 will be using.

All the lousy unskippable old videos FF7 and the rest had were bloated in size, compressed very crappily, and of all visuals in the game done in a higher resolution. Downscaling the movies, recompressing at the most highest level possible without causing uglier than current visuals on games out now (and audio too) would do leaps and bounds. Then figure every place in that game that wasn't the overworld map were static images, renders, and in a higher rez...again both can be scaled down in size which lowers file size. Then the true bloatmaster was the redbook(or whatever it was) audio format causing all those 3/4CDs between FF7->9 can be redone. Just take what is there and do it in a general MIDI format with a moderate sampling rate like FF3 DS shows. With all that said and done and the simple fact all those games reused a ton of tiles and creature bodies with different colors in all those titles it can easily be scaled into a DS card (or 2.)

I honestly am mixed on it though. I really wouldn't be too welcome or fuzzy towards seeing 7 or 8 as one I think is highly overrated, the other an atrocity...9 though is basically a fanservice to the 6 the N systems had. BUT on the flip side i know it would reel in a lot of PSX era FF fanboys who started with 7 and closemindedly call that the pinnacle of RPG gaming to buy a DS just to get the lousy game so that's a big plus.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS is perfectly capable of PS1 level graphics. FF7 could be done on it. Yes, it had multiple disks, but besides the movies, much of the data was the same on all disks. You wouldn't need that redundancy on a cart. Movie files would take up much less space on the DS's smaller screens. Compression has come a long way since 1997. MIDI which was the music on FF7, takes practically no space compared to digital CD tracks.

People say that it will never happen because it was on the PS1....so? There was a PC version too. I have it. Why not a DS version?

It COULD be done.
I'd say it'll never happen as I reckon SE are just gonna keeping remaking 5 & 6 after 4 is finished. Plus they're doing numerous other FF games and it seems that they are remaking them all for PSP as well. By the time they get to 7 there could be a shiny new Nintendo handheld which would require them to do less work porting it over...maybe.

Anyway anythings possible I guess when porting a 10 year old PSX game, who knows whats gonna happen in the future, its not a silly idea as well it'll do bloody good business for the Square boys and gals whatever form it takes.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMHO, FF9 was the best one. FF7 and 8 took FF to a sci-fi fantasy, futuristic world that it never was. FF9 brought FF back to its roots. Plus FF7 is, by far, one of the most over-rated games of all time.[/off-topic]

There are no technical specs that restrict FF7 from being REMADE (I stress "remade" because I'm TIRED of FF7 spin-offs) for the DS. Nearly all the data on the four disks of FF7 is doubled on every disk (so I supposed its quadrupled?) even the videos. The compression (as several people have stated) was not done very well compared the today's standards. The audio format was ridiculously large and could also easily be redone (or even completely orchestrated if the desire was there) without taking up very much space. The only hitch here is Square Enix.

Square Enix has no desire to remake FF7. There have been no rumors, no suggestions, nothing. Now, let's say they ARE, in fact, interested in remaking it as they did for the PC. The people who did the PC remake were NOT the same people who did the original. The people who did the PC remake were not given very good resources. They did not have access to the original backgrounds and such. There were a lot of issues and it turned out looking no where near as nice as the original. IF Squeenix was interested in a remake, they would do the same thing they did with the PC version. Sure, it would be nice to have one of the first 3D FFs remade for the DS and it would kind of make sense in lieu of the recent spin-offs and sequels released based on FF7, but Squeenix has shown no interest in it and the end result could end up looking like crap. If Squeenix was interested, it could definitely happen, but it probably will not.

Crescent

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think final fantasy 7 is a bad idea. I would prefer it on like the PS3 or something because the graphics are waay better. If you port it on Nintendo DS, it would be almost the same thing as the playstation version

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can start up an online petition like the one that was made for capcom (resident evil on the PSP petition). But squeenix seems less responsive to stunts like that at first glance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm